Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Lotta Chocolate Part 5: Bruléed Mocha Crepe Cake with Chocolate Liqueur Sauce

First of all, this is completely unrelated to food, but my friend R just took me to see the musical, Wicked, as a belated birthday gift, and it was AMAZING! I'd always found the idea of approaching the Wizard of Oz story from a different perspective intriguing. But I'm pretty sure I'd never have taken the initiative to see it where it not for my friend. Wicked was funny, exciting, and heart-warming throughout its 2 1/2 hours. And when it ended I could swear only 15 minutes had passed (I'd been so engrossed). If this show comes near you or vice versa, I strongly recommend getting tickets!

Now let's return to our regularly scheduled programming... Today's post is the 5th and last in my A Lotta Chocolate series. When we started down this road I promised you chocolate treats that would be less conventional, though no less delicious. A French toast, macaron, chestnut cake roll, and couscous salad later, it's my hope that you consider that promise fulfilled. For our last outing I decided to also make good on another promise. One that I made to myself when I started this site: to make my own crepe cake one day! (Is it just me or is this series getting a bit French food-centric? 8p)

Bruleed Chocolate Mocha Crepe Cake
Well folks, I made it! And not just any crepe cake, but a bruléed mocha crepe cake with homemade chocolate liqueur sauce! There's no getting around the fact that all these delicate crepes take time to cook and layer up. Yet you'd be hard-pressed to find any cake that slices as prettily or embraces chocolate as thoroughly as this one. Not only is dark mocha ganache spread between 15+ crepe layers, each slice of this cake is served with a generous pouring of chocolate liqueur sauce.

A rich and decadent chocolate treat worthy of closing out a chocolate series? Check! Thanks for joining me on this ride -- I sure hope you had as much fun as I did! If you missed any of the previous stops, you can still check them out right here: Chocolate Chunk Challah Bread French Toast, Snickers Macarons, Chocolate Cake Roll with Chestnut Cream, and Cherry Pistachio Orange Cocoa Couscous.

Bruléed Mocha Crepe Cake [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Homelife and The Essence of Chocolate
Serves 8

XIAOLU'S NOTES: The chocolate liqueur recipe obviously makes much more than you need for the crepe cake, but it's so easy to make and so delicious in cocktails or sipped with whipped cream that I'd just go ahead and make the whole batch :).

For crepes
5 large eggs, lightly whisked
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 Tbsp white sugar [preferably fine/caster]
2 tsp vanilla bean paste OR pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp melted butter, plus more to grease

For filling and topping
8 oz. dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup light cream
1/3 cup espresso
6 to 8 Tbsp white sugar [preferably fine/caster], divided

For sauce
4 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
3 Tbsp light cream or half and half
3 Tbsp espresso
3 Tbsp chocolate liqueur (Recipe below)
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp honey (optional)

Blend all the crepe ingredients just until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes to rest.

Heat an 8-inch non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush with melted butter. Pour in enough batter to coat the base of the pan (swirl the pan to coat it evenly with batter immediately). Cook for 1 minute or until lightly golden and just set. Use a spatula to turn and cook for a further 30 seconds or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter, reheating and greasing pan between batches.

To make filling, place chocolate, cream, coffee, and 4 tablespoons of sugar in a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water. Use a spatula or heatproof spoon to stir for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Taste a tiny bit and add up to 2 more tablespoons of sugar if desired. If more sugar was added, heat the mixture until new sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat; cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until mixture cools and thickens.

Line a 6 to 7-inch springform pan with plastic wrap. Place a crêpe in the pan. Spread with a little filling. Continue layering with crêpes and filling, finishing with a crêpe. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until chilled and set (at least 3 hours and up to 1 day).

To make chocolate mocha sauce, combine chocolate, cream, coffee, liqueur, sugar, and honey in a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir for 5 minutes or until sauce is smooth.

Turn the cake out onto a clean serving platter. Sprinkle the top of the cake evenly with the remaining 2 tablespoons of white sugar. Then melt the sugar evenly with a kitchen torch to form a crisp caramel topping. Allow to sit at least 5 minutes before serving. Use a sharp knife to cut into wedges. Place on serving plates and drizzle with hot sauce.

Chocolate Liqueur
Makes 3 1/2 cups

5 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 cup vodka
3/4 cup heavy cream, for optional topping
Cocoa nibs or chocolate shavings, for optional garnish

In a bowl, dissolve cocoa powder in boiling water. In a saucepan, bring sugar and 3/4 cup of water to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add sugar syrup to cocoa syrup. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a jar with a lid. Add the vodka, cover and refrigerate overnight. (It will keep up to 1 month, but will lose potency over time.).

If serving on its own, stir well and strain again through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass until 2/3 full. Top with lightly-sweetened whipped cream, or float heavy cream on top (by holding a spoon with the bowl down and the edge almost touching the liqueur in the glass then pouring cream slowly over the back of the spoon until a layer (1/8 to 1/4-inch deep) floats on top of the liqueur). Garnish with cocoa nibs or chocolate shavings.

66 comments:

  1. I have never made a crepe cake, but always love not only the look of them, but the taste of them, too!!!

    Your version looks amazing. It certainly includes all my favourite flavours. :)

    Loved your chocolate selections, but I don't find any chocolate recipe boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks seriously to die for Xiaolu!!!! I've seen a number of crepe cakes around, in magazines and online, but I think yours looks the best. LOVE that chocolate sauce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... the layers with chocolate on it looks so delicious. this crepe cake sure is calling out to me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xiaoluu! I have forever wanted to make crepes cake but I can't. I mean see how neat and beautiful yours is. I can never make it like that I'm sure. True love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I missed this chocolate series whilst I was away. Lots of catching up to do! This crepe stack looks delicious and I totally wouldn't mind a slice about now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at those layers!! Pure indulgence. I wish i could hop right over for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, like Kulsum, I've been wanting to make a crepe cake forever. You gorgeous version shall be my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to you :) and the cake looks divine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks really really attractive with all those layers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, fantastic! That crepe cake is so perfect and extremely tempting. An awesome treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Om..my..look at those beautiful thin crepes..how do you get so much patience to do such exotic dishes, Xiaolu! Oh..and yes prop them and click them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so tempting. Beautiful as you are Xiaolu.

    I love musicals too. I happened to catch one during my trip to London.I watched Mamma Mia and it was so worth it. Probably better than the movie in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made the crepe cake! How exciting. This looks utterly delicious. I'm going to have to hurry up and make one myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Lotta Chocolate series, does it really have to end? :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, you made the crepes layer cake! Yum! It looks perfect. I love it so much! I need to make this or mine the chocoholics' dream pancake layer cake (http://bit.ly/o4KAEd).

    ReplyDelete
  16. You love Wicked too? I LOVEEEEE it! I saw it a year ago and have been playing the OST :) Love, love, love!

    The crepe looks beautiful Xiaolu!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is this I'm seeing Xiaolou! It looks spectacular. We sure had a great ride with all your chocolate creations. I would like more... :)
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Phwoar! I've been thinking about crepe cakes for a while and it is my birthday this weekend and now i've senn this... Ooh, the temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Xiaolu, Happy belated Birthday to you :))
    Lovely crepes especially with the chocolate sauce..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoa! Everything about this cake screams decadence! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that looks insanely good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so stunning. Don't think I could eat it though... To pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't made a crêpe cake before either, although there's a Martha Stewart one I'd like to try someday. I realize now that I haven't made crêpes since I lived in France:( This cake would maaaaaybe be too much for me, but only if I had a slice as large as in the above image.

    I saw Wicked years ago when I was in Toronto with my orchestra - it was great! Of course, that was back when I wanted to spend my life as an actress. How the times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yes! I have always wanted to make these! Pierre Herme has a recipe for this in his cookbook... Hope to share it on my blog one day. Yours are truly sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Never have it before... very good looking pictures tho. Mouth watering... Please share some to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so great! I'd love this for like a brunch party, it looks gorgeous dear!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can I say goegeous?! Abolutely stunning!!Girl, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is definitely the dessert in Chocolate Heaven. Luscious with a comfort level of homemade cake.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the support, everyone! So happy to see you're enjoying this :).

    ReplyDelete
  30. goodness!! the cake sounds SOOOO delicious already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh... I want to eat this right now soooo badly! Delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, I commend you on your patience and willingness to make this dish look as good as it does! I saw Wicked also and loved it, it's a great show!
    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much, everyone! I'm glad y'all are enjoying this =D

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've never made or even tasted a crepe cake before but yours looks amazing! I will definitely have to try it. Also love the idea of the chocolate liqueur, I think it'd be lovely mixed with Baileys and lots of ice. One to bookmark definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooohhh, I've been wanting to make a crepe cake!! This is SO exciting!! Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think I am in heaven now. I can never make a crepe cake as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I remember seeing something very similar although in a a smaller version in Master chef and I was wondering if it's too heavy because of the layer of crepes. But looking at yours .. i am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've always wanted to make a mille crepe :D it looks AMAZING [as everything you do] you have inspired me to try making my own. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Though I can never day to, but there is a similar crepe & coconut dessert in Indian (Goan) cuisine which I love..Your version with chocolate is soo good..m drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Only you, Xiaolu, only you. This is beyond amazing. Beyond words even! your dedication astounds me.

    (and wicked is my favorite musical. I've seen it twice!)

    ReplyDelete
  41. If I would have known you were going to NY to see Wicked, I could have hooked you up!!! This is one of my favorite desserts my mother used to make, it wasn't often, because this cake is a labor of love, Mille Crepe Layer Cake is one of my favorite desserts, I would peel back each layer with a dessert spoon, delicately scooping out the raw cream, and then proceeded to the next layer. You are inspiring me to dig out my crepe maker!

    si délicieux

    ReplyDelete
  42. My-Oh-My...looks so deliciously good--Love all that runny chocolate over your lovely crepe-cake :)

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my, that looks incredible! I can only imagine the work! But it looks fantastic and I bet it tasted amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks, everyone! I love reading your responses :).

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW. not only is this cake beautiful, but it just looks so delightful to eat. seriously, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. The crepe cake looks so similar to the Indonesian layer cake (Kueh Lapis) :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Jealous! I've always wanted to see 'Wicked'! I hope I get to do that soon :) That crepe cake looks and sounds so interesting & delicious... Sounds like a lot of work too! Great job :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  48. What an exceptional chocolate dessert you made to end your series with! It looks incredible! You always go "above and beyond" with your culinary endeavors. :) I would love to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I missed 'Wicked' when it was here, but I've only heard good things about it. :)
    And the mocha crepe cake looks INCREDIBLE. You're a genius, to get the individual layers so nice and similar...and the flavors sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hun, this looks simply amazing!! Can you make this for me when we meet in Singapore, pretty pleeeeeeaaaase? =p

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks, everyone! Hehe I would if I had the equipment Rachel! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  52. are you serious? wow. I would not know where to begin with this (except digging in with a fork). Looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I've been obsessed with Wicked since I saw it in Chicago in 2007 :) I have the sheet music and everything :P If you can, get your friend to take you to Mary Poppins too!

    P.S. I've neeeeever had a crepe cake! This looks insanely amazepants :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow they look divine! Good job.

    I've never taste one and lack the courage to make one. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  55. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! look at that cake!! it loooks soooo goooooooood! ive always wanted to make one but the process of making a bajillion crepes had always sounded boring to me

    ReplyDelete
  56. crepe cakes are infinitely impressive, but i've never tried my hand at it. this version is OH-so-decadent, and frankly, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  57. bruléed mocha crepe cake with homemade chocolate liqueur sauce is really tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  58. He incluido tu post en Mis Favoritas, puedes verlo en
    http://blocderecetas.blogspot.com/2011/09/mis-favoritas-adios-verano.html
    Espero que te guste!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Amazing! so tempted to attempt this cake, need to find a day where I'm totally free. How do you make all the crepes the exact same size? everytime I cook crepes, they end up being odd sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! I simply used an 8-inch skillet (not a crepe pan though that would be even better) and quickly shifted the pan as soon as I poured the batter onto it in order to spread the batter to cover the entire base. Hope that helps!

      Delete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu