Thursday, July 14, 2011

Guest Post: Tips from Professional Prop Stylist Robin Zachary

My dear readers, I am absolutely giddy with excitement to present to you the long-promised guest post from professional prop stylist and art director, Robin Zachary! Just corresponding with her in preparation for this post has been a great experience for me, and you'll know exactly how I feel once you join me in pouring over the tips Robin has so generously shared with us. She may already be familiar to you as the source of the fantastic tip I posted recently for creating a seemingly endless background for your photograph. Please be sure to check out her blog and portfolio for many more inspirational photos, trends, and tips (I particularly adore her "inspiration boxes")! Without further ado, I gladly turn my blog over to Robin's capable hands!

Robin Zachary Shot 1
Hi Xiaolu and thank you for asking me to guest post on 6 Bittersweets! Your readers have some wonderful questions! Here’s a little bit about me first. I am working as a prop stylist in New York City with magazines, websites and retailers as clients. I do mostly still life photo shoots for food and tabletop, bridal and fashion. I have an extensive background art directing magazines and I love shopping, crafting and collecting so that’s how I arrived at styling as a career. Most recently I was the Creative Director of Bridal Guide Magazine and I’m still a contributor so I still have my hand in the bridal world. I also teach at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC and write about my styling jobs and resources on my blog, Prop Closet.

In this post, I’ll focus on propping for food shoots since that is what most of you are interested in. You want your photo to be inviting to your viewers. You want them to be drawn into an alternate universe, get lost in the photo and forget about everything else! Props should create a world that is consistent stylistically with the recipe without overpowering the food.

Robin Zachary Shot 2
My approach to propping for a food shoot begins with identifying the style whether rustic, minimal, vintage or modern (to name a few) and picking a color palette that compliments the food, making a strong contemporary statement without being clichéd. I try to stay away from the obvious seasonal color palette and create a two to four color combination based on fashion and home décor trends. I pull fabric or paint swatches of colors that I like and hang on to them for a while before the right opportunity arises to use them.

I always think of layers in a food shot. First you need a surface, which can be wood, fabric or paper. A yard and a half is the minimum size any surface should be. Next you need an interesting dish. I stay away from too strong a color in the dishes and lean towards white, which is the most flattering for food. Next you need something soft in the shot and when it comes to napkins, the looser weave and more worn, the better. It can even be a square of pretty repurposed fabric instead of a finished napkin. This is where I incorporate color and pattern. The napkin should be loosely draped instead of folded. You can also use a wooden cutting board, a tray or a placemat underneath the dish to add another layer. Top the set up off with a fork, knife, spoon or a serving piece resting on the napkin or beside the dish. Lately I’ve been into mix and match vintage flatware with modern dishes. You can throw in a related object that makes sense with the recipe for interest, such as a vintage salt cellar or an old kitchen tool but don’t go overboard with too many items in the photo. Keep it tasteful and simple. Remember the food is the star!

Robin Zachary Shot 3
You ask how to find affordable props and surfaces. Well, you have to have your prop radar on all the time. My favorite commercial places to find dishes are Crate and Barrel, Bed Bath & Beyond or West Elm. I always look in the clearance section for incredible deals. There’s a store in NYC called Pearl River Mart which has very inexpensive little dishes with an Asian style. When I go on vacation I browse through antique and thrift shops for the one-of-a-kind pieces. I might find something interesting and store it for several years before I use it. I also love working with organics so I might pick up shells from the beach or leaves and twigs from the ground and store them in plastic boxes with tight lids. Nature has a lot to offer for free! I encourage my FIT students to start by looking through their parents’ and friends’ houses for props and borrowing from them. Just be considerate and return what you take.

Your readers also asked about storage of props. My prized pieces are stored in my tall green painted wood cabinet with glass doors. This is where I keep all my small dishes, vintage flatware, small vases and organic items. I have small props, fabrics and napkins in clear plastic boxes stacked up under my desk mostly organized by color. I have a storage space filled with family vintage items and ephemera. There’s no easy answer to the space issue, but if you have a closet or area you can dedicate to styling that is the most ideal.

Developing your unique style takes time and effort. There’s no one way to do things but experimentation is the best way to learn and grow. I teach a 15-week Photostyling class at FIT in NYC but if you want to take one of my shorter styling intensives in NYC or online email me and I’ll put you on my mailing list to let you know when I have the next one scheduled. Keep checking in with my blog, Prop Closet or follow me on Twitter @robinzachary for my latest inspirations and projects and happy styling!

All photography featured in this post by Kan Kanbayashi and prop styling by Robin Zachary for Essence Magazine. Please see this post on Robin's blog for a more detailed behind-the-scenes look at that shoot!

52 comments:

  1. GREAT tips! This is so helpful, thanks for sharing your expertise. Looking forward to more tricks of the trade.
    Now if only I could invest in more "props" :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! Full of great pics and very helpful. I am sure this is going to help me a lot with my next shoot! Thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tips! So interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Xiaolu. Robin has clearly explained the basics and intricacy of styling in simple language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU Xiaolu! Great information that I absolutely need... and thank you Robin for sharing useful information. I need to read again and write down in bullet points so I can remember! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Great Post! Thank you Xiaolu and Robin for sharing these useful tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for this wonderful and professional tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post!! Thanks to both Robin & Xiaolu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips and much appreciated - I need all the photographing help I can get :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this post amazing inspiration from Robin. Wish I lived closer to NYC for her 15 week class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspiration and thank you, thank you, for the ideas on where to purchase prop resources:-) Great information all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I have been waiting for this since Xiaolu spoke about this last time. Great post. Xiaolu - thanks for taking the initiative to have Robin share this with us. Robin, as usual, the is really helpful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Xiaolu for introducing Robin....such informative post and wonderful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you guys are enjoying Robin's guest post as much as I do =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this post... b/c i don't know how to work my dslr other than take pictures in the daylight lol. i like making things look pretty though! i need to invest in more tablecloths and layers are key!!! awesome guest post, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Xiaolu, just found your site and love it! So glad to be reading your guest post, thanks for doing it.
    I look forward to coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really helpful. I haven't been at this for very long now but having been browsing through the heaps of amazing food blogs out there I realise I've been following Robin's tips in my food photography even though I never saw them explicitly stated until now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these tips! Thank you so much for doing this post, both of you :) I have to look through my things and think about these tips to get some good ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Robin,thanks or the tips and insights, keeping it simple and making it work with textures is my key take away from this post.Xiaolu, thanks for guest post

    Sreelu

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post and love all these tips! I'm just starting to "organize" my food props. Just wish I had 1 1/2 yard minimum surface to work with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this post .. it was very interesting to read and learn about styling :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not much of a photographer but I do love to look at beautifully taken photos and there are certainly plenty of that in Xiaolu's blog:) But these tips are really useful for the casual photographers like me:) Thanks for sharing Robin:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post. I really help with this. I'm usually way too hungry to arrange my ingredients or dishes in any near pretty way. BTW, your blog is looking lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great guest post! :) I am just learning this food photography stuff, and this is really useful! Thanks for sharing, Robin & Xiaolu

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the wonderful tips. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Xialou for featuring Robin on your blog, I'm always interested in learning more about propping my food photos effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post. You know I'm always in learning mode and trying to improve my photography, so this was so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing these tips. What a great post! I heart food photography and I really need to do more of these. I love your blog and I'm so glad to have come across it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic post Xiaoulu. Loving the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you all for these wonderful comments! I'm so glad to share and be of help. Here's to great styling adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for such an informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks again for the support everyone! And thank YOU Robin for writing this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this special guest post!! I have learned so many new things today. Thanks Xiaolu for inviting Robin here.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Seriously helpful and immediately useful advice! Loved this post- and especially those stunning photos. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you sharing, its a great post indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Xiaolu for bringing in this great guest post. I am going to read it one more time.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome guest post! Unfortunately, I have like no props because since I take my photos in such a small, artificially lit area, the props take up too much room, and if I do manage to get some in, the artificial light muddles them so they look odd lol Also, my sister ended up making several dozen cupcakes plus a bought cake for Zach's B-day, so I decided I wanted to use your pom poms on cupcakes for my BF's B-Day! I have these awesome blue polka dot liners that I want them with, so that's part of the reason lol

    Also, those pumpkin seed macs look amazing, just checked out the guest post. You have become quite the mac master in such a short time..impressive!! :) It took me forever just to get decent ones lol

    ReplyDelete
  38. A great post Xiaolu. We all food bloggers are often prop hoarders and for me finding place for them have been so difficult. Time to buy a cabinet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you! This was so helpful. Some days I feel like I'm totally relearning photography now that I'm snapping food. These tips will more than surely come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great article. Thanks for introducing us to more of Robin's work and her generous tips.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow! Wonderful!
    Delightful and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks Xiaolu and Robin for a very informative (AND PRACTICAL) guest post. I've struggled many times with styling food - your tips are going to be a big help. I had never thought about "layering" before.... I'll make sure to incorporate it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great tips! Just looking at these beautiful images has already given me ideas on how to style my food and props better. Thanks for such a useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great guest post Xiaolu! Thanks for sharing Robin's practical and informative tips. The layering tip is so useful. I never thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  45. hi Xiaolu, just discovered ur beautiful site, and I'm in awe with ur macarons! I have joined the macs bandwagon ages ago but haven't played much with the flavours. Maybe I should then, thanks for the tips and delicious offerings!
    pop by to my site too when u get a chance, its a mixture of few cuisines, hope u'll like my french stuff there too!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love these tips, I've recently purchased a new camera lens and I really hope I can gain more experience in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love Robin and her work - and the funny thing is she approaches propping and styling and shooting food the way I approach writing about it. Visual or verbal, it is a lot of thought. Great guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for the tips, especially on layering - it's a helpful way to think about photos that I'll definitely be putting into practice.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu