Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hootin' for Cupcakes (and late for Cupcake Hero)

Oreo Cookies

Oh my...it's less than 24 hours until I have to get on a plane to China and I have yet to start packing. You might say I like to do things last minute ;p. With that in mind, you shouldn't be surprised when I tell you next that I'm tardy for this month's Cupcake Hero challenge, which asked us to take our baking inspiration from either of 2 wonderfully creative cupcake decorating books by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, Hello, Cupcake! or What's New, Cupcake?.

The design for my halloween pumpkin cupcakes last fall came from Hello, Cupcake!, so I already knew this as a treasure trove of unique ideas. After then eying (har har ^_^) their owl cupcakes for months, it took but an instant for me to decide on them for this challenge. I did put my own spin on their recipe and re-tooled the directions, so be sure to read on if you want my version.

Since I already had to buy Oreo cookies for the owl "eyes," I figured I might as well step it up another notch by adding them to the batter. On the other hand, I saw no need to pipe frosting on these already-darling ears, so I (gladly, since it was 2 a.m. by that point) dropped that part with no ill effect that I can tell.

My friend Kelly, upon discovering what the cupcake fairy had left in her office, even exclaimed this was "seriously the cutest thing" she'd ever seen and that she enjoyed its adorable stare. Cupcake.Win XD. To balance out tootin' my own horn hehe and because they're truly charming and creative, I recommend you check out this round-up I found of other owl cupcakes.

Oreo Cookies & Cream Owl Cupcakes
Cookies N' Cream Owl Cupcakes [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from VCTOTW via CHOW and Hello, Cupcake! via Duncan Hines
Makes 15-17 cupcakes

XIAOLU'S NOTES: The number of cookies listed below for decoration is if you split and cut the cookies perfectly every time. It's tougher than it looks, but gets easier the more you do it. Even so, I'd have more on hand just in case. An entire regular-sized package of Oreo cookies was enough for me for the batter AND decorations. Splitting the cookies is the most time-consuming part of the recipe but is most important to the final appearance. Since the ganache frosting can set fairly quickly, I recommend having all the toppings ready when you begin frosting, then decorating each cupcake right after frosting rather than going back once you've frosted the batch.

Cookies N' Cream Cupcakes (Recipe below)
Chocolate Ganache Frosting (Recipe below)
30-34 Oreo, Newman-O, or other chocolate cream-filled cookies
30-34 chocolate-covered mints (Junior Mints)
15-17 candy-coated chocolates (M&Ms)

Split the sandwich cookies in half crosswise, keeping the cream side hole (microwaving 5 cookies at a time for 3-5 seconds helps to keep the cream side solid). [I found my frosting spatula split the cookies most cleanly.] Use the dull side of a paring knife to remove any excess crumbs from cream filling and to smooth the sides of filling that has shifted during splitting.

Collect the remaining sides of the cookies without cream to use for the ears. Make 2 parallel cuts with a serrated knife in these cookies 1/2 inch from each rounded side, discarding the 1/2 inch strip that remains from the center of the cookie.

Pair up the cream sided cookie halves so that those with similar amounts of cream are together. Gently push Junior Mints into the cream of each, but don't push too hard or you'll squish the mint. [Play around with different positions to give each "owl" its own expression and personality :).]

Use a small spoon or spatula to smooth chocolate ganache frosting onto the tops of the cooled cupcakes. Place the cream sided cookies, cream side up, on the middle of the cupcakes, making sure that the eyes are oriented the way you want. Push gently to make sure they've adhered to the frosting.

To make the ears, attach the cut cream-less cookies to the cupcakes above the "eyes", textured side facing up and round edges inward. These should hang over the edge of the cupcakes, but be sure to press them into the frosting where possible to make sure they adhere well.

Lastly, press M&M candies [standing them up on their sides] between and slightly below the cookie "eyes" as beaks. Show them off to everyone XD!

Cookies N' Cream Cupcakes
1 cup soy milk [or regular milk]
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, or more vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped Oreo, Newman-O, or other chocolate cream-filled cookies
(about 8-10 cookies)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 muffin pans (or use 1 pan plus as many free-standing paper souffle cups as needed) with baking liners.

Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK). Gently fold in chopped cookies.

Fill liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Chocolate Ganache Frosting
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
[or use a combination of semisweet and bittersweet]
1-2 tablespoons corn syrup

Combine the chocolate and cream in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Try to submerge the chocolate as much as possible, but it's okay to have some above the cream. Microwave the mixture on medium for 1 minute. Stir and heat again in 15-second increments, stirring thoroughly each time, until fully melted. Stir in corn syrup. Let this cool and thicken (in the fridge if needed) before using. If it cools too much, reheat in the microwave at 5-second intervals until it softens to the consistency you want.

75 comments:

  1. ohhh have fun! lucky you and these are toooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! These cupcakes look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you guys!

    Michelle - I'll be in serious blog withdrawal but the food and company will be ah-mazing XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cupcakes - and the photos are great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are too adorable! You're so creative with your cupcake decorations, they always look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. Those are so ridiculously cute and make me want to grab a fistful of m&ms and oreos for dinner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. THOSE. are adorable. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't these the cutest? I bet they tasted fantastic too! Have fun in China!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I love these owl cupcakes! They're so perfectly gorgeous and would brighten anyone's day! Have fun in China! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolutely genius and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOD! These are too cute!

    I am the same way with packing my luggage... Haha. Hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is adorable and heartwarming.

    bittersweetsugarandsarcasm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOh the cookies are absolutely, absolutely cute! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To-whit to-whoo ... these are far too C U T E!!! I have never seen such pretty and adorable cupcakes. My hub just left for a flight to HKG> Looks like everyones headed the China way after Europe's airspace is shut! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable and whimsical. I might have a hard time biting into one. I think I want to feed them! : D

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your recipe and the idea...the cupcakes look sooo adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always, these are absolutely wonderful. They make me smile just looking at them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea, they look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, these cupcakes are the cutest things!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lordy. I don't want to eat these. They are too cute I want to care for them and save em and....nah I'll probablly end up eating 'em lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg the owl design is so adorable! very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute! You are so clever and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable! I made these last year and had so much trouble separating the cookies, so I LOVE your tip about using the frosting spatula for that task. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i can't look at these things you've made without involuntarily going 'awwww'! adorable and ingenious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are SO cute, oh my...just too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are too cute. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG sooooo cute! these are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Eee, SO cute! Oh my, I don't know if I could really eat these, what with their adorable big eyes staring at me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are soo cute! I added a picture and a link back to you blog to share! I hope you don't mind, if you do please contact me ASAP and I will remove them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are SOOOOOOOOOOO cute oh my goodness!!! I love them. And I'm currently obsessed with owl things so I love them even more!!! Oh if only I could have owl cupcakes for my wedding cake, that would be fantastic. Have an awesome time in China!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a hoot! (Sorry, couldn't stop myself). Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your first picture totally captured my attention!! Amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is the cutest thing. I have. ever. ever. ever. seen. I love owls and I double love cupcakes. NICE JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  34. P.S. Could you use almond milk in place of soy milk?

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is what I called "creativity"!!! These owl cupcakes are simply stunning!

    Sawadee from Bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  36. The cupcake owls are adorable. I love that cupcake book. By the way, what are you doing in China?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my gosh these owls are adorable. Funnily enough I've been seeing owls everywhere lately - but certainly not in cake form! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. They look so cute! Such an inspired idea, Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These are sooo freaking cute. Your presentation in the picture is amazing. You are so talented. Thank you for sharing your gift and giving me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks, Emily! That's very sweet of you to say. I'll try to continue improving myself and hopefully encourage others along the way as long as I can :).

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi, I make you sweet and delicious Oreo owls! you can see my post here: http://lacocinadecarolinaa.blogspot.com/2010/09/oreo-owls-buhos-de-oreo-hiboux-de-oreo.html

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love love these cupcakes! they are just perfect for the halloween party that my sister is planning.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thx for stopping by, Sue, Carolina, and Croatian_Latina. Croatian_Latina, I hope your sister has fun making these XD.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Xiaolu, you're amazing!! I LOVE these owl cupcakes! I wanted to let you know that I featured them at WhipperBerry today.

    Kisses
    Heather from WhipperBerry

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hehe thanks, Brittany! Glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  46. ACK- SOOOOOOO CUTE!!! I simply MUST make these for my sister-in-law's birthday this month!!! ♥- Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  47. Late to the party-but I plan on making these for my son's Owl Themed 1st b-day party next weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hehe it's never too late to join the party! Please come back and let us know how it goes =D.

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are so adorable! I love the Hello, Cupcake book (recently did a giveaway on my blog) and I have to get the new edition.

    I just discovered your blog, and your recipes and photos are amazing! You're quite talented, and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  50. They turned out pretty good! I had a hard time with the Oreos though - thankfully I bought two packs. Probably about 90% of the Oreos were broken or cracked! Made splitting them really difficult! Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Eek sorry to hear that! I hope you microwaved them a bit as that helped me a lot. But if they started off cracked that makes things even tougher. Must have gotten jostled while shipping :-/.

    ReplyDelete
  52. He publicado tu receta en Mis Favoritas de esta semana, si quieres verla está en http://blocderecetas.blogspot.com/2011/06/mis-favoritas-semana-23-2011.html
    Espero que te guste!

    ReplyDelete
  53. OMG do I love you or do I love you! I am planning to make a 1st birthday cake for one of my friends' baby girl and her mom is crazy about owls and I was googling oreo ways to make owls and you have already done it making my work so much easier (I dont know how I missed you posting about this!)- this is such a great way to top the cake with a few oreo owls!

    ReplyDelete
  54. thanks just made them they look cute =D

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yay -- good to hear! Would love to see a photo if you take one :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. it looks really fuckin' amazing

    ReplyDelete
  57. No only did you make adorable owl cupcakes, but you made them cookies and cream cupcakes! That's like as awesome as it gets. Absolutely LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Thanks for this recipe and all the tips to make this funny litle owls ;)
    I made them and all my family loved them! You can see my little owls on my blog today: http://www.cuisine-addict.com/article-chouette-cupcakes-aux-oreos-80438360.html
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hola Xiaolu, muchas gracias por tus bonitas palabras, me ha hecho mucha ilusión tu visita. Haces maravillas. Un beso. Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  60. Love these and just did them for a party! The kids went crazy and so did the parents! I put mine on my blog and linked back to you with credit to your blog and you by name: http://www.withglitteringeyes.com/2012/02/whooooo-is-having-birthday-owl-tell-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  61. Love your idea so i had to try it but in France oreos arent as white as yours! here are mine http://creatrish.blogspot.fr/2012/03/week-10zoo-and-hootincupcakes.html xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours are so cute! Thanks for trying and reporting back on the recipe =)

      Delete
  62. Hi I want to bake a batch for my girl 16th birthday, not sure whether can I bake 1 day in advance, what I worry is the cookies it may soften on the next day, any advice?
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi Soh! Thanks for your question. I baked the night before I took the cupcakes to work, so I think baking early is fine. Please do realize that the cookies won't be as crisp as just eating the cookies from the package since it will be in contact with ganache. However, if you let the ganache set (cool) a bit on the top of the cupcakes before putting the cookies on top, that should help minimize the softening. Good luck and I'd love to see a photo of the cupcakes you make =D. -XL

    ReplyDelete
  64. Good morning Xiaolu, I will take note of all the tips.
    Thank you for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I just wanted to interject here that I've just tried using the bargain brand Oreo-type cookies for this, and I'm having to stop and make a trip to the store now because there is so little icing in the ones I have that they cannot be used for decorating. Just a head's-up....name brand matters for decorating. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know -- thanks for sharing that note with us, though I'm sorry you had to learn that through experience and have to start over now :-/.

      Delete
  66. Hi, i just stumbled upon your blog for the first time, and i love it! Such great ideas and creativity... you sure made the hours in the office pass by faster :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu