Friday, March 30, 2012

My First VIDEO Post: How to Frost Cupcakes Using a Large Closed Star Tip


Cupcake Collage
I dunno if I've mentioned, but P got me a fabulous present for our 5-year anniversary back in February =). Right around that time I'd been coming across some helpful videos for everything from cake decorating to distressing metal and quickly became eager to try making videos of my own. P was sweet enough to get me the equipment to get started: an easy-to-use Flip Video Camera! I will confess to having some difficulty adjusting to automatic settings...I suppose the control freak in me got spoiled by all the manual controls on my dSLR ("What do you mean I can't adjust video exposure in-camera?!?" hehe, poor P). But in all seriousness, I'm delighted to have this new "toy" to take my first steps into becoming a multi-media blogger =D.

My first foray into the world of video is this simple demonstration of 3 basic ways to frost a cupcake using a large, closed star piping tip (my favorite is Ateco #849). One of the first lessons you learn when you frost a lot of cupcakes is that bigger is almost always better when it comes to piping tips for cupcake frosting! I believe the #849 tip is the largest closed star tip that Ateco makes, or you could use the Wilton equivalent if you'd prefer.

You'll probably recognize the first technique as my "signature swirl" of sorts. As the photos in this post illustrate, I've used this swirl time and time again for cupcakes on the blog (and off). It's easy, quick, and absolutely classic -- so I really hope you'll give it a try! Sometimes we all want a little variety, though, right? That's the reason I've also included 2 alternative techniques in the video using the same closed star piping tip. The drop star (probably not its real name ;p) method is especially useful for the times I'm asked to "go light" on the frosting, and the "ruffle wiggle" method is just plain fun to do.

I hope you enjoyed my first video and are as excited as I am for the others to come! I'm looking for ideas, so please leave a comment or shoot me an email if you've a topic in mind that you'd like to see me cover. And please subscribe to my Youtube channel to be notified when I post new videos!

Cupcake Collage 2

32 comments:

  1. A great video! Your cupcakes are so pretty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to try the ruffle sometime. Thanks for demonstrating! Looking forward to more videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're a professional, piping so quick!!
    Very nice video.
    Would love to see some on frosting cakes and making fondant too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial! :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great video, I love the way you frost your cupcakes:) So gorgeous and you made it seemed so easy although I know it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made frosting so it was fun watching how you do it! Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely video! Thank you for sharing the great tips, Xiaolu :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you guys liked the video -- thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the demonstration! I would've liked to see exactly what kind of star tip you are using. I Googled Ateco #849, and got an idea. Next we'd like to see how you are using different tips. I mainly (and very poorly, may I add) use the star one and have even less idea what to do with the other tips. Suggestions?

    Congratulations for the camera. And the cameraman :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice video! I love to see more :) I love baking so I will try this one and hopefully the end result will be at least half close to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Video Xialo..the cupcakes looks soooooooo cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the video :) I love it, especialy the 3rd part!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, Xiaolu! This is going to be such fun watching you - and I am always one to love a good trick and tip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty cupcakes! Love the video too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! What about some photo tutorial vids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I'd be happy to try (though with the plentiful light I like for dSLR photography, I'm afraid the video would look washed out...it's really annoying that I can't adjust exposure...). Anyway, what specifically did u have in mind? If you shoot me some more detailed requests (here or email), I'll try to oblige =).

      XL

      Delete
  16. Im so happy you finally posted a frosting tutorial!!! I've been checking almost everyday to find out if it was there or not. Anyway, great tutorial and cupcakes as always :)
    Mariane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I had no idea anyone wanted one so much -- glad it's out there now =). Lemme know if you have any other videos/tutorials you wanna see!

      Delete
  17. Your cupcakes are always very pretty! Thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes, soon ill be able to pipe like you, like a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great video, I like your signature swirl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow you really make it look so easy, Xiaolu! But I guess once you are such a frosting expert, it IS easy. ;)

    I'm just beginning to learn about different techniques and each time I want to frost a cupcake, there is that short moment of fear that I'll mess it up.

    Making your own videos is a HUGE step, so congratulations!

    Cheers,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Fabulous video tutorial... You make it look SO easy :) I loved watching and learning and I look forward to a lot more :) Thanks for sharing, Xiaolu!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have a signature swirl, but I LOVE yours! i actually don't own that tip but obviously need to buy one. Thanks for hte awesome video love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, My main issues are usually with focus. I am looking for a used 50mm 1.4 lens which I think will make a huge diffrence, but is it really that hard to get some bokeh with a standard dSLR?
    Thanks, Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I find frosting so difficult. You're a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so happy you're doing videos. This was a great one. Other ideas could be cake decorating, fondant and stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  26. It a great first video X! Thanks for sharing all those tips. Congratulations on your camera. Surely you'll make great use of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a cool video! I'm excited because I got a flip video for Christmas and want to use it for tutorials too. Only I'll be using it for soap and other crafts...but this video was a great tut for frosting cupcake soaps! :0) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, the video is cool. Loved the tips, definitely going to put them to good use soon. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu