Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday Favorites (Plus My NYC Visit)

I wasn't able to get too much baking done this week because I was up in NYC having a blast with friends, old and new. I was finally able to meet the beautiful and very talented food photographer/stylist, Melina of Licking the Plate, as well as Asha of Fork Spoon Knife. Melina and I had a great time food prop and clothing shopping, while Asha introduced me to an awesome little tea shop with a Mad Hatter theme (so fun!). I'm thankful to these wonderful ladies as well as all my older friends for helping me squeeze every drop out of my 4-day trip! I'm exhausted but so glad I went =D.

We Believe in Sherlock! (NYC in Times Square)
In case you're wondering, I'm under the "E" in "WE" ^_^
Speaking of getting every drop's worth out of the trip, my very last was to get together with dozens of Sherlock (both the books and BBC show) fans for a delicious Irish brunch, drinks, trivia, and photo shoot on Sunday! Thanks, Sherlock NYC for hosting an amazing get-together! We even got to meet some experts in the subject, lovely ladies who'd created their own Sherlock society in the 1960s when the foremost organization of the time, the Baker Street Irregulars (BSI) refused to accept women. Their society, The Adventuresses of Sherlock Holmes, is active to this day, and their members were eventually invited into BSI (it took 25 years!!). Anyway, sorry to geek out on you so much, but I thought it was interesting to learn how women's equality played out in such a specific arena. Fortunately, these days, fans of all ages, ethnicities, and sexes can share in our love of Doyle's timeless stories! It's always great to meet others who understand your passions, whether they be food, photography, or great detective stories!

1 Appledrane-Thai Carrot, Green Papaya Salad Propwish Peeler Pewter Juicer
Celtic-inspired Wedding Cake via Elizabeth Anne Designs
2 ElizabethAnneDesigns-Celtic Wedding Cake Idea
3 DolceVita-Tri-Color Farfalle Bowtie Spinach Feta Pasta Salad
Eggs and Herb Frittata Photographs styled by Dietlind Wolf
4 Dietlind Wolf-Eggs Ingred, Omelette Frittata
Cucumber Avocado Vegan Tea Sandwiches from V. K. Rees Photography
5 VkreesPhotography-Avocado Cucumber Tea Sandwich St. Patrick's Day
Zucchini Parmesan Fritters Photograph from Everyday Food Magazine
6 Everydayfood-Zucchini Parmesan Pancakes Fritters Patty Idea
Spring Wedding Cake by Wedding Cakes by Jill8 WeddingCakesbyJill-Gumpaste Flowers Wedding Cakes Idea
Octopus for Salad from Lemon Fire Brigade
7 LemonFireBrigade-Octopus Stew Soup Ingred
Pasta with Spring Onion Pesto from The Kitchen Finesse
9 StuderTV-Spring Onion Pesto Spaghetti Pasta Chair Dark Idea
Guinness Chocolate Cake from Call Me Cupcake!
10 Callmecupcake-Guinness Beer Rustic St. Patrick's Day Cake Flag Topper Idea
11 LynleesPetiteCakes-Fondant Bunny Rabbit Butt Easter Choco Pudding Trifle Parfait Idea
***This cracked me up SO HARD! XD
12 ArtyMcGoo Ryan Gosling Cookie

18 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful and inspiring post! I love your monday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you went to the Sherlock event. How fun! Glad you had fun with Asha too. Great pics. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...what's that supposed to mean ;p *sniff*

      Delete
  3. I see you I see you! you look so cute!!! looks like a great weekend to be in NYC. I have made zucchini fritters from another cookbook a few times and i love them! i just love zucchini and you can really taste the best of it in the fritters. and i LOVE the bunny butt. how cute!
    and just saw crazy stupid love so i love RG even more than before. he's still the best in the notebook though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i have recently discovered Melina's work and its so good! Love the links as usual

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your holding up that "E" like you own it! Good for you.
    Nice post as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great collection of limks, as always! It looks like you had a great time in NYC.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Star Trek TNG episodes with Data as Sherlock on the holodeck are some of my favorites. Did I just up the geekery a notch? woop woop.

    Love the Ryan Gosling cookie, haha:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Xialou, All the posts are simply awesome and liked ur picture in 'we' . So gud to knw that you had a blast in NYC. Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks & Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always look forward to these fave posts! You always choose such interesting and fun things to oogle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry I couldn't meet up, love! Between lab stuff and the half marathon I ran on Sunday, my life was a crazed fiasco! ihope you had an excellent time, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, dear! I did have a great time, and hope everything went well with your weekend!

      Delete
  11. What a fabulous trip... I wish I could travel and meet my food blogger friends, too! So fun! And the round-up is stunning, as always! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. The spring wedding cake is gorgeous! The link wasn't working tho. I love that cake... And the bunny butt is cute! Seems like you had a great trip meeting with friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for fixing Xiaolu! She has so many amazing cakes! Crazy detail too!

      Delete
  13. I love the bunnies in the mud pics. So cute.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu