Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Guest Post: Summer Greens Salad with Grapes, Goat Cheese, and Walnuts

A few months back, I had the honor of sharing a guest post for Joy of Joylicious blog on her birthday. She is one talented lady, so I was delighted and not a bit surprised when many of you were as excited to discover her as I was to introduce her. There's been plenty of fabulous stuff going on since then over at Joylicious, ranging from a website redesign to irresistible new recipes like these honey yogurt berry popsicles. But being the sweetheart she is, Joy still took the time to make us a lovely picnic-worthy summer salad. And here to tell you all about it, I present to you my good friend, Joy!



Joylicious Guest Post 2
I met Xiaolu this year through the wonderful World of blogging. I was initially attracted to her jaw-dropping photos on 6 Bittersweets and with time have discovered that her inner beauty was just as beautiful as her talent. She was sweet enough to bake me cupcakes on my birthday and even mailed me the adorable pompoms she used to decorate them with. See why I love this girl? You’re the sweetest Xiaolu, thank you for having me guest post on your blog today.



Joylicious Guest Post 1
When I was a little girl, my family loved going on picnics. My fondest memories were of us laying a big blanket across the softest patch of earth we could find. Dad would carry the large cooler of food, Mom trotting along with miscellaneous bags of “stuff”, and I’d follow clumsily behind lugging a Sprite bottle half the size of my body (at the time.) We’d sit there enjoying chive dumplings dipped in chili oil, drunken chicken with ginger and scallions, boiled peanuts, marinated beancurd – what? You thought I was going to say, sandwiches and potato salad?



Laying there for hours, we’d talk about our hopes and dreams, laugh about memories of our families back home. We’d play card games that mostly involved math because dad said my math skills were subpar at best. But it was still fun, promise =). And we’d always end our picnics with my favorite part.



Joylicious Guest Post 3
The food would be packed up, trash thrown away, and when there was nothing else left except for the blanket on the ground I’d lay in the middle of it. Mom and dad would grab opposite ends of the blanket and with a slick flick of their wrists they’d fling me up to the sky. I’d fly up so-high that I’d be only inches away from the clouds. Closing my eyes, embracing my weightless moments in the air, laughing so hard my stomach would hurt as tears streamed down my face. Though I’m no longer small enough to be thrown into oblivion, I still very much love my picnics.



With Summers being blistering hot, the only thing that I feel good eating are salads. They’re light, easy to prepare and most certainly healthy. This recipe would be perfect for picnics – Summer Greens with Tart Cherries, Goat Cheese and Walnuts. Dress the salad when you’re ready to eat to ensure the best results.



Joylicious Guest Post 4
Summer Greens Salad with Red Grapes, Goat Cheese, and Walnuts [Printable Recipe]

Serves 4; prep time: 15 minutes



5 cups of mixed greens, washed

1/2 cup red grapes, washed

1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion

1/4 cup walnuts

4 oz. goat cheese

2 Tbsp high-quality olive oil

Fleur de sel salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste



In a large bowl mix greens, grapes, onion, and walnuts together. Drizzle generously with olive oil and top with salt and pepper. Top with goat cheese slices (1 oz. per serving) and serve immediately.

35 comments:

  1. A beautiful salad and guest post! So colorful and fresh looking.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pairing of goat cheese and just about any fruit. I've had it with strawberries, peaches, but never grapes. It looks like a good combo! And your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Joy and her work! And what beautiful picnic memmories you have! I wouldn't mind being thrown up in the air till I reach the clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Xiaolu, this salad is looking rocking. Loved the vibrant and fresh green color of the mixed greens bowl and addition of grapes is awesome. I love tossing grapes in the salad. Have a great week. Thanks n regards, sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the salad is gorgeous and joy's memories as a child in a picnic makes me sigh. i can't wait to have family picnics one day with my kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how this dish is infused with so many memories and so much love! A perfect summer salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely salad and a delightful mix of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful clicks ..... very summery :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures are amazing .. love the salad. Happy to have found your blog. First time here and following you.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway.
    Current Event: Herbs and Flowers - Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always eat goat cheese with raisins, it's sooo good! Actually it's my favourite food combination! I have to try it with walnuts tho, must be even better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The grapes in this are an awesome idea. The photos are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous looking summer salad ! Love it
    Love your food photography btw, great job !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you guys for all of your kind words!! I hope all of you have wonderful picnics soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous salad and story :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos....and this salad looks beyond delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Xiaolu, you have some most amazing guest posts here!
    Great summer salad ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous clicks! Beautiful looking summer salad

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of grapes with goat cheese, just a beautiful flavor combinations! This salad looks gorgeous:-) Take care, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos and recipe. I have red grapes in my fridge that everyone is tired of eating as it is. I'm going to convert those grapes into this beautiful salad tomorrow dinner. I gotta get good goat cheese. My husband and I are not big fan of goat cheese but we've been trying out different recipes with it. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. xiaolu, how i've missed you! i seriously fell off of the world wide web for a while. getting back to life now. thx for the guest post! i've started to love goat cheese more...i can't have one big bite of it, but I do like that they have goat cheese crumbles now so I get a little in every bite, but not a whole marshmallow of it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so enjoy picnic and casual lunch in the park . I don't like goat cheese much but these salad is tempting me and Joy's photo is always so joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE, love the first photo! That salad sounds so refreshing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks everyone! I'm glad you're enjoying Joy's post as much as I did. For the people are giving me credit for the photos, please know that it is all Joy and you should check out her site for more!

    Amee - missed you too and glad to see you active again 8)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Two of my favorite people together at one place, I am in LOVE! :-)
    Gorgeous post Joy as always!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great guest post-the photography is just stunning! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love all the colors and freshness in the recipe..would like to munch upon this salad any time. Wonderful guest post, Xiaolu.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a wonderful post. I love the way the food looks. Delicious. Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing looking salad! Love the photo! ;)
    Tq for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never considered putting grapes in salad, but you're right, the sweetness would be magnificent against the deliciousness of goat's cheese!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu