Sunday, August 21, 2011

Guest Post: Baked Potato Wedges with Chat Masala

Greetings from Singapore! I'm having a great time here, of which you'll see photographic evidence of soon enough 8). And also while I am here, I'm continuing to be amazed at the incredible people I've been lucky enough to connect with through the blogging world. Both in Singapore and all across the world. Today I'm excited to continue the series of posts from honored guests with a special dish from Kulsum of Journey Kitchen.

You may remember Kulsum from my own guest post on her site back in June. While she was busy focusing on final exams (as any good student would ^_^), I was happy to step in with some sweet and tangy rhubarb and raspberry curd French macarons. Despite being incredibly busy still herself, Kulsum was generous enough to drop by with these absolutely mouthwatering roasted potatoes with an Indian twist. Please be sure to stop by her blog for other temptations including cheesecake brownie ice cream and lentil-stuffed samosas!

Journeykitchen Guest Post 1
I’m not only a fan of Xiaolu's fabulous blog but also fan of the person she is. I'm yet to "meet" a blogger as honest, friendly and kind spirited as her. So you can imagine how great it feels to be guest posting on 6 Bittersweets. Thank you Xiaolu!

You might already know that Indians eat their food with hands instead of fancy cutlery. Eating food with hands might be looked down upon in some cultures, but to me, there is nothing more satisfying than rolling up homemade Indian chapati and dipping it into spicy curry with bare hands. Or eating soft, white basmati rice covered in gravy and licking off every last bit of grain.

Journeykitchen Guest Post 2
Maybe it's being Indian, that my favorite food group is finger foods. Food that can be just picked with hands conjures up scenes of snack times with my sisters and family, sitting in a circle talking about our day at school, giggling away on little random happenings of the day and going over the options for dinner.

I served these chat masala spiced potato wedges with kebab sliders with coriander mint mayo. But I have made them twice ever since just on their own as finger food. They are addictive, lightly spicy and a burst of flavors in every bite.

Journeykitchen Guest Post 3
Chat masala is a tangy Indian spice mix extensively used for snacks, fruits, yogurt, and drinks and sometimes in curries. It's not only used as a flavoring but also used to garnish or add finishing touches to dishes. Apart from spices like cardamom, red chilies, black pepper and cloves, what makes this spice mix stand apart is the use of black salt (Kala namak) and dry mango powder (aamchur powder). The black salt has a characteristically pungent smell and taste which adds a unique depth of flavor whereas the dry mango powder gives it an acidic and tart flavor.

Journeykitchen Guest Post 4
The salty, tangy, hot and sour characteristics of this spice mix provide a melody of flavors in each bite, leaving a tingling effect on your tongue. The finely chopped coriander leaves perk up and add a refreshing bite to these wedges. Besides, there is something about green herbs on your food, that just screams eat me!

Journeykitchen Guest Post 5
Baked Potato Wedges with Chat Masala [Printable Recipe]
Serves 2-3

1/2 kg (about 2 lb. 3 oz.) potatoes
2 Tbsp chat masala*
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp coriander (cilantro) leaves, very finely chopped
Salt to taste

Notes

*/ Chat masala is mildly hot to if you can’t take the heat reduce to 1 tbsp.
** If you like your potato wedges to be much thicker then par boil them in boiling water for 5 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.

Method

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (390 degrees F).

Wash and peel (if you have a fussy eater who won’t eat the skin of course) the potatoes and cut them into wedges and place in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, salt and chat masala.

Add the oil mixture to the potatoes and mix well.

If you have time let the potatoes sit in the spicy oil for half an hour.

Tip the potatoes on a baking tray and bake for 25 -30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Rotate them half way through to get them golden on both sides.

Once out of the oven add the coriander leaves and mix well.

Serve hot with coriander mint mayo.

27 comments:

  1. i could eat a whole bowl of this ! yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful guest post! Those potato wedges look so scrumptious anf flavorful. A wonderful spice mix.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just in love with those photos. I really like the slate back ground, I was thinking of buying a tile from a hardware store to use in some photos, and I think you just convinced me to do so! These look splendid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the update in FB and immediately guessed it could be Kulsum's . Her styling is so amazing .. totally loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent twist/upgrade to the regular wedges. These sounds pretty addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious looking flavourful potatoes lovely guest post

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't wait to try these! absolutely lovely shots!

    http://sweetcupcaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful! I love both of you, and it's great to see Kulsum's work here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos, and what beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was only just recently introduced to Kulsum through meeta's monthly mingle but so far, I love everything I've seen! These french fries sound divine with that seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a very clever use of chaat masala. I'm sure the potatoes taste great.

    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. xiaolu, i hope you have a great holiday in singapore :)
    i like this kind spicy potato recipe, its very smart idea from kulsum

    ReplyDelete
  13. baked potato wedges with special seasoning - yumm! beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you guys are loving Kulsum's dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great! All words about Kulsum agreed! Love the sour note to the potatoes. Have a wonderful time in Singapore-- one of my favorite places in the world! (mostly because of the food ;))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo, this looks and sounds delicious. Yum....
    Have a great time in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great way to eat potatoes!! Love your pictures, as always ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, the best potato wedges I have ever seen. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos as usual, Kulsum. That spice mixture sounds so flavorful and I'm certain I would want a plateful of these potato wedges to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, these photos are just so gorgeous and atmospheric! amazing! And the recipe naturally sounds great as well. I have got a friend who would eat anything indian - as long as it's not hot and spicy! A bit of a paradox, isn't it?

    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another quality guest post!
    Thank you, Kulsum, for sharing this baked potato recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yum yum!!! Kulsum, these are so naughty and tempting! Beautiful photos too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful to see this recipe here! These fries with chat masala intrigue me and I know I would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you everyone for all your kind words and comments :-)

    @ T and Tea cake Indian food can be altered to one's liking and can be non spicy as well. Its really a misnomer that its always hot and spicy. Trust me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yumm I love roasted potato wedges! Love the sound of this version with the chat masala and coriander.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu