Thursday, May 19, 2011

Indian-Inspired Macarons (Cashew Cardamom Carrot Halwa Macarons)

Yep, I'm back with another set of macarons! Many of you might be thinking "wow she's really caught mac fever!" and you'd be right. But the other (and less frivolous) reason I'm making these charming French treats so often is to achieve consistently tasty and pretty results so I can offer these babies for sale. I just know there are plenty of macaron-lovers out there who simply haven't had the opportunity to try them. So I guess you could also say that I'm on a mission to spread the joy of macarons =p.

After no small number of attempts, I've finally got a feel for proper macaronage (folding the meringue and dry ingredients together). But I continue to struggle with (1) reining in my moody oven with its numerous hot spots and (2) reducing sweetness without sacrificing consistency. I've seen other bloggers use much less sugar with great success, so I know it's possible. Unfortunately I think the sugar stabilizes the batter, so my recent batches have been more finicky than the Snickers macarons recipe. Basically I think problem (1) is the result of (2). If you've any insight on this, I'd love to hear it!

Cashew Cardamom Carrot Halwa Macarons
Since I needed to bake multiple batches to iron out the kinks, I figured why not have some fun with exotic flavors? If you follow me on Twitter, you may have noticed I'm quite fond of Indian food as well as food bloggers. Having grown up with my Indian best friend's family cooking, I've developed quite a taste for that cuisine. In fact, several Indian friends have told me that I must be Indian on the inside =p! After taking my previous macaron inspiration from oriental flavors, it's almost too predictable that I turn to the subcontinent next!

After tossing some ideas around with my friend, Sala, I settled upon a fun and unexpected combination of cardamom-spiced cashew shells filled with buttercream made with real Indian carrot halwa (pudding). I must warn you that the cardamom in these pack quite a punch, especially since I ground mine fresh before using. Feel free to reduce the amount of spice if you're just taking it for a test drive. The macarons will still be tasty regardless.

Now that I've hit India, I'm looking for the next destination on my around-the-world macaron trip. What's next -- Africa, Ireland, Italy, South America? So many possibilities! Where do you think I should stop next? =D

Cashew Cardamom Macarons with Carrot Halwa Filling [Printable Recipe]
Filling adapted from Manjula’s Kitchen
Makes about 25 to 35 macarons

XIAOLU'S NOTES: Please do not try to convert this recipe to volume measurements if you don't have a scale (I use and love this one). This recipe is very sensitive and will not work if the measurements are not exact. Please also note that every oven is different and you'll figure out what works best for yours over time (see this post for great information on ovens and macarons). Since mine has major hot spots, I bake on 2 stacked pans for insulation. If you're uncertain of your ability to pipe uniformly-sized macarons, like me, simply trace 1 1/4-inch circles on your parchment paper, flip the paper over, and pipe on the other side, using the outlines as your guide OR print (choose "fit to page") and slide this template under your parchment as a guide but don't forget to remove before baking! Macarons are best after having been refrigerated for 24 to 48 hours, according to French pastry master, Pierre Herme, "An osmosis takes place between the garnish and the biscuit. When freshly baked this is hard and crisp, but it absorbs some humidity from the filling and its inside becomes more tender while the crust on the surface stays intact" (quote via Not So Humble Pie). So even if you accidentally overbake the shells by a few minutes, maturing the macarons in the fridge for at least 48 hours should undo most of the damage =). See my first macaron post for helpful videos of the whole macaron-making process!

70 g almonds [not roasted or salted]
55 g cashews [not salted]
145 g powdered sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
Pinch of salt
40 g granulated sugar
2 g egg white powder [optional, to stabilize batter in humid weather]
95 to 100 g egg whites [about 3 large egg whites]
1/8 tsp cream of tartar or 1/4 tsp lemon juice [optional, to stabilize meringue]
1 to 1 1/3 cups Carrot Halwa Filling [Recipe below]

Microwave fresh egg whites 10 to 15 seconds in the microwave on medium heat.

Combine the almonds, cashews, powdered sugar, cardamom, and salt in a food processor, and pulse on and off until the nuts are finely ground (about 1 to 2 minutes). Sift the powder to remove any large chunks that remain. Put those chunks back into the food processor and pulse again for another 30 to 60 seconds. Sift again. You will probably have some slightly chunkier almond bits. Hopefully they're no more than a tablespoon or so, in which case you can throw them out.

Weigh out and mix your granulated sugar and egg white powder in a small bowl until uniform; set aside. Using a handheld or stand mixer, whip the egg whites on medium-low speed with cream of tartar until foamy, then turn the speed up to medium to medium-high and gradually add the sugar mixture until you obtain a glossy meringue (it'll look like shaving cream, hold stiff peaks, and stay in place if you turn the bowl upside-down; but don't overbeat your meringue or it will be too dry).

Add all of the nut mixture to the meringue and fold together. Use both a folding motion that scrapes the bottom of the bowl (to incorporate the dry ingredients) and a gentle pressing motion, to deflate the meringue against the side of the bowl. Slow down after all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, and continue folding the mass carefully until you obtain a batter that looks somewhat glossy and flows from the spatula in a thick ribbon. Test the batter by spooning a small amount of the batter up, then dropping it back down on itself. If it melts back into the rest of the batter within 30 seconds, it's ready for piping (this page has a nice photo of this test). If not, fold 2 more strokes and test again.

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/3 to 1/2-inch wide plain tip (I like Ateco #804 or 806) with half of the batter. (When your bag is too full, the pressure causes the batter to rush out in a way that’s difficult to control, making for sloppy macarons.) Pipe tiny blobs of batter onto the 4 corners and center of 2 baking sheets, then line baking sheets with parchment paper OR line with silicone mats. Pipe small rounds (slightly larger than 1 inch wide) straight down and about 1 inch apart onto the baking sheets. Pick up each sheet with both hands and slam it firmly straight downward on the counter 2 to 3 times. This will to force out any large air bubbles. Immediately pop any bubbles that rise up but don't break with a toothpick. Do NOT do this once a few minutes have passed because you'll mess up the shell that's forming.

Preheat the oven to 285 to 300 degrees F. Let the macarons sit out for 25 to 90 minutes to harden their shells a bit (to prevent tops from cracking during baking). Test if they're ready by touching the top and side of one shell lightly. It should feel dry and not stick to your finger at all. Bake one pan at a time for 15 to 22 minutes, depending on the size of the macarons. Let cool completely before trying to move the shells.

Once cool, flip the shells over. If you have trouble removing them from parchment paper, pour a couple of drops of water under the paper while the sheet is still a bit warm, and the macarons will lift up more easily due to the moisture. Don't let them sit there in it too long or they will become soggy.

Fill the shells (spooning or piping) with 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons buttercream and top with a similarly-sized top shell. For the best flavor and texture, store in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours before eating (see notes above for detailed explanation) but they are best if eaten within 6 days. Bring to room temperature before eating.

Carrot Halwa Buttercream
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
1/16 tsp ground cardamom

1/3 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
Pinch of salt
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature

Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the shredded carrots and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Carrots should be tender and slightly darker in color. Add the milk and cook until the milk dries, stirring occasionally.

Next add the sugar, and cardamom powder; stirfry for another 3 minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of frying pan. Let cool then mash with a potato masher.

Combine the sugar and egg whites in the clean stand mixer bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water making sure the bottom does not actually touch the water. Whisk constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved and the top becomes foamy.

Remove the bowl to your stand mixer, add a pinch of salt, and beat on high speed with the whisk attachment for at least 3 minutes, until the mixture holds glossy, marshmallow-esque peaks and the bowl is completely cool (very important - the frosting's consistency will be off otherwise).

With mixer on medium-low speed, add butter 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition (about 10 seconds between each). Increase speed to medium-high; continue beating until frosting appears thick, at least 3 minutes. (You'll hear a distinct slapping sound and visibly see the buttercream go from soupy to a cohesive, pipeable consistency.)

Reduce speed to low and slowly add the cooled carrot halwa. Mix until evenly incorporated.

73 comments:

  1. Oh, marvelous! That is one great flavor idea. Your macarons are so pretty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- what an amzing combo for a mac. I love gajjar halwa so I'm intrigued by these. Now I think you should head over to Africa- that's where I'm from so I want to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great innovation! I've heard carrot halwa is really delicious and tastes nothing like carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world has gone crazy over macarons! I had macaron fever too, tried so many recipes and techniques... When my macarons started to turn out good, I lost interest. I wasn't even a food blogger back then. Now seeing all the flavorings and combinations makes me want to get back in the mac fever wagon :) Good luck with your experiments and hope you get lots of orders for these. They look amazing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look exquisite!! love the flavoring!!! i have yet to try macarons since they are made with eggs and i am vegan... i wonder if it is possible to make them without egg whites? i don't think i've ever seen a french style macaron "veganized" before. hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone!

    Junia - I don't own this book and haven't tried the macarons, but my good friend Hannah of Bittersweet blog just shared her vegan macaron breakthrough (genius, right?) in her new book: http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Desserts-Sumptuous-Sweets-Season/dp/1616082208 You would need to buy the book to get the recipe, but feel free to contact her with questions if you'd like. She's super nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a HUGE breakthru!!! vegan macarons! wow! i am looking at her blog and her dessert book right now.. mebe i can gleam some tips from her. :D thank you xiaolu~~!

    (i had a couple typos in my first comment hehe, this is revised version)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not change a thing! This looks so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flavor combinations are so unique and creative- This one is pure brilliance, I've never seen anything else like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously? Wow. These macarons look so delicious and so original! I love the flavor combinations, and I trly admire your perseverence!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Xiao Lu,

    What about stopping by Southeast Asia? Malaysia, Thailand & Vietnam will offer you lots of inspirations when it comes to exotic flavours. I am thinking about tropical mango shell with kaffir lime & spiced cream. Or may be dragon fruit with spiced nuts? too many possibilities..

    Can't wait to see what you have in store for the next macaron creation.

    Reese@SeasonwithSpice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those sound delicious...and what an exotic combination.
    Have you thought about the Middle East? Orange blossom, rosewater, gum mastic, exotic spices and nuts....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a swell combo, Xiaolu! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so looking forward to this post. Still haven't got on macaron wagon but with every post of yours I get excited to do it! Love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to give it you for such an innovative idea. You should be the most sought after dessert consultant in your area.

    Excellent work. NOw am absolutely sure you are Xiaolu ben ( gujarati style)pretending to be from the oriental side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. youve taken carrot halwa to a whole new level! this looks so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked them only looking at the photo, thank you very much for the recipe!
    I myself am struggling with the macaronnage - there are no 2 tries that give the same result! It's crazy!
    I'm going to try your way with microwaving the eggshiwtes, although some foodbloggers have confessed they use meringue powder or powdered eggwhites...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! And full of my favorite flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Love the flavors, if I could make flavored macarons I would totally try these. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. U have quite an imagination when it comes to food ..... the macarons look gorgeous. And like always ur picts are fabulous.

    Cheers,
    Satrupa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely Indian touch :) They look so delicious and awesome click as ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you should move closer to me. And I will gladly help you taste test all of these batches of macarons that you obviously MUST make. For business purposes. Of course.

    Love the inventiveness of this flavor! So inspirational.

    I vote Italy. A cannoli flavored macaron...with cannoli cream inside. Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look amazing and I LOVE your photography! I've had Carrot Halwa in cake before but never in macs! Love this combination!

    Your next Mac Stop should be the Caribbean! With Mango season, maybe something with Mangoes? Avocado filling? Pineapple? Lilikoi? nom nom nom! Endless flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Right on spot!
    I always reduce the amount of vanilla and use cardamom and other spices in baked sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loooove macarons! I took a class and still can't make them....one of these days I will finally get it right!

    yours look amazing, such fun flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the comments and flavor suggestions -- hope to get to all of them at some point =D

    Sneige - I have to admit I add some egg white powder most days too to give some extra security haha, but I think the key to getting the macaronage early on is to start checking BEFORE you think the batter is ready. Even when it's ready my batter really doesn't flow that smoothly from the spatula like they talk about ("magma") and by the time it flows well it's overmixed. Once you use the testing to determine the right amount of mixing a few times, you'll know on your own when it's getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW!! What an amazing and creative flavor for macarons. I wish I could taste the carrot halwa buttercream! I cannot believe macarons are new to you - you could rival the best!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love halwa (the sweet version never tried the carrot ones), but I never thought about putting it in a macaron before! Well done! Really creative and talented :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a brilliant recipe Xialou, cashew, cardamom, carrots..there's not a think I can say no to..And those macarons have come out perfect..dosent look that you started a few weeks back..kudos! Happy Feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so envious! Your macarons are the picture of perfection! They do sound exotic! Let's see...where to next? How about Armenia(I'm half Armenian)? :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love these. Okay, confession-I have made only made macarons once and it was a total fail! Gasp. But I'm so encouraged by all your beautiful creations! I'm keeping all your tips in mind when I go at it again.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm with you, I don't like sweet sweets, and they don't need to be sweet to taste divine! With the Hot Spots in the oven, I use an oven temperature... which I thought was mundane at first...new oven, no problems, right? WRONG.. so wrong!!!! My oven has a different temp each time, off a few degrees, I don't use it all the time, only with my souffles or macaron's... but it really helped me. I need to use up my organic carrot powder, I did a Carrot Cake Mac, so I know I'd love this recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I definitely think you have mastered the macaron skill :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is just so creative, Xiaolu! I grew up eating and loving carrot halwa & so this is very appealing to me! Not a big fan of cardamom though. I think living in India, I've probably overdosed on it a couple of times. Great macarons, awesome pictures & an extremely informative post! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely amazing. These are all my favourite flavours packed into one delicious little package. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm really going to have to work on my macaroon skills so I can make this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. So very pretty!! Are you sure you don't want to pursuit a career in baking? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh man... macarons are so difficult to make! I applaud u for your persistence and determination! keep up the good work, cant wait to see what other flavours u come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Xiaolu... I wish I could taste these gorgeous macs ...

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow you really are doing a wonderful job with your macaron explorations and what a lovely and different macaron combination Xialou! I love the colour too.

    I can't wait to see what new combinations you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I had my first macaron yesterday in France. It was wonderful, and now I see what the fuss is about!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh dear... i've made some macarons yesterday, it was my 5th time and i missed it again... i don't what i do but they never end like a macaron!!! Yours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Keep spreading the macaron joy, it's a worthy mission! I say how about a little trip to the Middle East perhaps? Pistachios, figs, dates, saffron, rosewater ....

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks everyone!

    Valerie - Oh no! Sorry to hear that. If you have photos or want to describe them to me I'd be happy to try to help you figure out what went wrong. Are you using a scale to measure ingredients?

    warmvanillasugar - I'm too jealous! Where did you get it? Laduree I hope =D.

    ReplyDelete
  44. omg you are soooooooooo friggin creative! how do you do it??? i know i can always get a surprise here! :) i'm going to fw and tweet this one to some others also. what about a beverage-inspired macaron? like cola? or Earl grey tea?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Such pretty macs! I bet your macs will sell fast too :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Well, even if you're having trials and tribulations with macarons, these look lovely and worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This sounds like a wonderful blend of French and Indian. The flavor combination is inspired! I so wish I had macarons down but I definitely need more practice. It's still completely unpredictable for me whether or not they'll have proper feet. Yours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You are doing such a great job with these macarons and with that gajar halwa filling I can almost taste how delicious it will be be.
    You are my official Macaron Girl :) :P

    ReplyDelete
  49. No, not Laduree. I'd love to go there, but I haven't made my way yet. I got the macaron in Montpelier!

    ReplyDelete
  50. The carrot filling sounds really intriguing for the macarons. Those looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  51. oh wow! what a fun and creative flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks, everyone!

    warmvanillasugar-I do hope you make it there eventually -- they're my favorite so far. Though admittedly I haven't tried Pierre Herme or any other very good patisseries.

    ReplyDelete
  53. your macarons are looking fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Looks so pretty! I am sure the taste is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I really have to try making macaroons these strike me as fantastic.
    As to the next stop on your macaroon World Tour a Baileys Irish cream macaroon sounds good to me

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Xiaolu, The macroons are looking absolutely delightful. Loved the addition of carrot halwa in the macroons and gorgeous pictures. Just felt like swiping few from your screen. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Fabulous Flavors! Exquisite-Gorgeous-Pretty looking macarons, Xiaolu :)

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Thanks everyone!

    The Culinary Lens - oOo Baileys sounds lovely. Will add that to the to-try list =D.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi Xiaolu! Thank you for leaving your comment on my blog, and now I'm here and I'm totally in love with your site. First, beautiful pictures - easily just stair at them for fun. Your recipes and food look and sound very tasty, and I am already following you on facebook/twitter. Looking forward to your new post and nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Beautiful! i love the colour!

    cheers,
    yas
    www.tickle-your-tastebuds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. This looks beautiful! Unfortunately I haven't made macarons in years so I can't comment on their finicky nature, but I've had success in the past using icing mixture (which is pure icing sugar cut with tapioca starch!) Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hi! I'm having a linky party over at my blog called A Themed Baker's Sunday which this weeks theme is cakes! If you have any cakes i would love for you to join! If not, come back nexxt Sunday to see our new theme!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/05/themed-bakers-sunday-6.html
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  63. Xiaolu, thanks for such a great macaron recipe. This is the kind of dessert that absolutely needs that scale. Love that you combine the almonds and the cashews. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Amazing macarons! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Ohmygosh yes. So much yes. This is such a brilliant, brilliant flavour combination!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Cardamom Carrot Halwa is one of the few Indian desserts I like and gosh, you are super creative to make macarons out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  67. This happens to be one of the most intriguing flavors for the feet i could ever imagine! i have been missing so many of your posts and the beautiful photographs. will have to come back and spend a few hours after I am back.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I have no insight other than WOW, girl! These flavours are just fabulous. They look stunning, bravo :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  69. Wow I think this is a great twist on Macarons. They look and sound amazing. Good for you for taking the time to perfect them. I can see you are doing fantastic. Best of luck and may you sell tons fo Macarons :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. What a fun macaron creation!! I love the sound of that carrot halwa filling.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Oh my gosh! How lovely are those. I just stumbled upon your blog and absolutely love it. You are so talented! This is such a creative recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu