Monday, May 30, 2011

Guest Post: Mango Orange Yogurt Popsicles

Photo 2
If you're like me and scroll through a post's photos first, I know what you're thinking: "WOW -- this looks straight out of a magazine!" That's the same reaction I have to every one of my friend Vera's photos. We met through Flickr only about a year ago but I was instantly taken with her sweet personality and talent; we became fast friends. Together with other women including Aisha, Asri, Laksmi, and Sylvie, we formed a supportive community of photographers sharing honest feedback with each other. I've quickly come to love and rely on these friends.

Meanwhile, Vera's talent for styling and shooting food grew by leaps and bounds, becoming so outstanding that I was not at all surprised (though quite delighted) when she turned it into her profession. You can check out more of her incredible work on her
blog, professional site, and Flickr photostream. But first, please give your warmest welcome to Vera and the refreshing treats she brought us today! It's truly an honor to have her as my latest guest.

Photo 1
I would have never thought that one day I would call strangers, whom I've never actually met, friends. Yes, Xiaolu is my friend although we have never met personally; a friend who shares the same passion for photography and food. And what photography! And what food! Have you seen her latest photos and delicious sweet treats? Aren’t they gorgeous? Oh my, you can understand my excitement when she asked me to guest post on her site. Man, what do you bring to someone when she bakes so fantastically? Cookies, cakes and cupcakes were out of question. My little sweets would look just ridiculous against her miraculous treats.

Photo 4
So about a month after I had been asked, I decided to go for popsicles. I have never met anyone who wouldn’t like popsicles, so here they are. This is so international that it really doesn’t matter whether you are Hungarian (like me), American or Asian -- people like ice cream the same way everywhere in the world. It reminds me of my childhood. I always preferred the fruity popsicles and the yellow fruits. I love the color red in everything but in my ice cream. Now, how crazy is that? Yellow fruits are so sunny and remind me of the hot, summer days at my grandmother's. Of the way the sweet, sticky, fruity juice ran down on my arm and of course dripped on my clean, white dress...but I was the happiest girl on Earth at that time. I hope these popsicles will bring back some of your childhood memories, too. Enjoy!

Photo 3
Mango Orange Yogurt Popsicles [Printable Recipe]

2 mangoes, peeled and diced
Freshly squeezed juice from 1 large orange
200 ml water [3/4 cup PLUS 2 Tbsp]
150 g sugar [rounded 3/4 cup]
Yogurt

Fill the bottom of your popsicle mold with the yogurt, then freeze it until the mango puree is ready, but for at least 30 minutes.

Stir sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Process mango and orange juice in a food processor until smooth, add syrup and process to combine. Let it cool in the refrigerator.

Fill popsicle molds and freeze until firm. Insert wooden popsicle sticks and return to freezer until frozen. Dip molds in hot water to unmold before consuming.

62 comments:

  1. What a perfectly beautiful guest post!
    And thank you for introducing me to a new and clearly talented photograph. I think I can see a similarly in both of your styling styles - both are so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, these look fabulous and refreshing!!! wow i would love to eat one right now!! i love how i can easily veganize them too :). beautiful photography and recipe :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Of course I had to scroll immediately to see these gorgeous photos. Loving these mango popsicles too. Wonderful guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been scrolling up and down for the past minutes ....Wow..Stunning is the first word comes to my mind... I can keep on staring at the pictures.... Recipe looks very easy too... Win Win...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply breathtaking photos! All you fantastically talented women are so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mango and orange popsicles is a lovely idea...looks too gud

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh-my-Word, Simply superb post! Gorgeous inspiration and absolutely mouth-watering popsicles :)

    Stunning Shots,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vera's photos are truly stunning. Isn't it great when you encounter people online who you've never met but can call friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Extremely beautiful popsicles :) Love the clicks and the yoghurt part adds beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those must be refreshingly delicious! Lovely pictures.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Gorgeous bright popsicles! In my favourite flavor too! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vera is indeed very sweet, she kindly gave me a recipe for a dish I saw on her Flickr collection. That's the beauty of the online world, friendship not limited by physical boundaries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have come to love Vera too and love your little group :) Such a beautiful guest post! LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would just love this, I might have to go for the frozen mango, as one costs about $15 USD.... can you believe that? I wonder if I can use Fresh Frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what gorgeous popsicles, very summery and the photography is beautiful. Thank you for introducing me Xiaolu, Vera's work is absolutely stunning. She clearly has a very natural talent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely styling and photography! :o Just beautiful :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so heavenly! I love mangos, can't wait for them to be back in season!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know her work, from today I have one more blog to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These definitely remind me of childhood/summer. What a fabulous recipe! I think the same of Xiaolu...what beautiful photography and food!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I saw you tweeted that Vera was guest posting for you I knew instantly who you were talking about! I love Vera, she's wonderfully talented and so kind too. I really enjoy the little community we have over on Flickr, it's wonderful to be part of a group of friends that inspire and encourage each other the way we all do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the styling and colours, the pastel blue and orange, aaah, that's the ultimate delight!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such amazing photos indeed! Love the recipe too - you're right, popsicles transcend all nationalities =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Xiaolu, Vera! I love both of you and the way you talk to about food, gastronomy, photography... :) I always feel the passion of your photos, You're huge talents, ladies! :)) Enjoyable entry, story and of course amazing photos, again. I wish good luck to you!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. to talk about? or... just only "about"! I made a mistake, looks like I've always made mistakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous guest post and absolutely gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great guest post! Everything looks so perfect..the pictures and the recipe..I would like to make this one day for children's party :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. che bellezza......ottimo per questa stagione e presentato benissimo, complimenti!!!!
    a presto,
    ciaoooooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos! Those popsicles look amazing and perfect for this caribbean weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely layout on your photos! The colors look very refreshing together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are right, your friend is a very talented photographer! And a fabulous cook too... Love these popsicles! Mango and orange sound perfect together... Thank you for sharing Vera & Xiaolu!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just came across your blog and it's beautiful! I love these popsicles and esp the addition of yogurt at the bottom :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Everyone! Just stopped by to say thank you for all the nice comments. I'm so glad you like my photos and recipe.
    Xiaolu, thanks again for the invitation, I had a lot of fun! Vera

    ReplyDelete
  33. This sounds so lovely. Beauty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The picts are fantabulous .... true they look straight out of a food magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely, perfectly styled and delicious I'm sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stunning photography, lovely styling and I would to give one a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  37. these look amazing! I just bought two mangoes today and happen to have an orange or two in the fridge! Hooray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Xiaolu, thanks for showcasing such a group of great food photographers. I have Been literally drooling over the photos at their Flickr accounts! Veronika's popsicles are stunning! And yes! They look straight out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, what a guest post! Your photos are unbelievable. I want to jump right through them and grab a popsicle!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These look so delicious. I'm toasty right now and these would be the perfect way to cool down. I'm going to have to make some for next weekend. And you're right, the photos really are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. mmmmm yummy!!! I am going to make this tomorrow! Thank you for the recipe!

    http://artofbeingcool.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love how the brightness and bright colors in the photos really reflects the bright flavors of the popsicle! So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm so glad you all like Vera's work as much as I do. =D

    ReplyDelete
  44. You are right, these photos are gorgeous!! What a great guest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gorgeous photos! The popsicles look so refreshing and delicious. Thanks for introducing another talented blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  46. You both are so insanely talented. Whether it is baking or photography, I find myself glued to the laptop screen just drooling through your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  47. nothing but gorgeous and more gorgeous! I can spend hours and years browsing thru' Vera's photographs (and yours and all the above mentioned) and be mesmerized. These are perfect summer treats! love the mango and the orange.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You're right, that looks straight out of a magazine!! I can't stop telling me "one day you'll make pictures just as gorgeous as this!" I hope so!! And i really liked your recipe, refreshing and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for introducing us to Vera. You're right, her photographs do look like they come out of a magazine...these popsicles are captured in such an imaginative manner, it just makes me want to go and make these for my kids straight away!

    ReplyDelete
  50. stunning photography - thank you for introducing us to her! i always learn something new when i come here, which is what keeps me coming back.

    also, a beautiful recipe. perfect for muggy Washington summers...

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great guest post. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  52. gorgeous photos, gorgeous pops....cannot wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Xiaolu..I didn't know you mentioned my name here, thank you I am surprised and honored :). Yes , I love our friendship at Flickr and I always miss my Flickr friend. Vera is so talented and creative. She was my second contact when I started being active on food photography. She always support me and she is the one who suggest me to write down my opinion , thought on Flickr comment :)eventhough I was newcomer.
    Finally...this a great post I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Xiaolu, wow what a beautiful pop. pictures make is even more so drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Fantastic recipe and thank you for introducing a new blogger to me.

    Stunning photography as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is great ! I admire Vera's photoworks too ! You have such a nice friend though you've never met her yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. Gorgeous, gorgeous post. Thanks for introducing us to a wonderful talent!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Because I'm Hungarian, I knew Vera's blog. She is so talented, I think one of the best Hungarian food stylist and photographer. Unfortunatelly I don't know her in person but I'm sure she is as lovely as I imagine! :)

    Great recipe, I'm planning to make something similar but in a vegan way.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Oh my gosh... This looks delicious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  60. it's too bad that you can't pin the images from this post. these popsicles are beautiful (and look delicious)!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu