Saturday, October 3, 2009

Dragon's Almond Apple Cake


It seems like apple recipes have been popping up everywhere these days! And with the colder weather (finally) making a return around here, I had a very particular craving for a fruit and spice-filled snack cake. The first time I saw this beauty on Dragon's Kitchen I was struck by its simple elegance. Now that I've made it almost a year later, I'm impressed by the balance of flavors and can think of few better ways to kick off the apple season. Apple and almond are definitely partners that I will match up again and again from now on.

The original cake is surely amazing (Dragon's made it over 100 times so it's gotta be!) but I couldn't resist sprinkling some spices into the batter itself and not just the topping. This extra boost is still subtle and doesn't overpower the almond flavor. Next time I also plan to add 1/4 cup applesauce for an additional layer of flavor, plus super moistness. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, Dragon. Your home is definitely not the only one this cake is well-loved in!


Almond Apple Cake [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Dragon's Kitchen

XIAOLU'S NOTE: My apples were pretty large, so I was afraid to weigh down the cake with the whole mountain of slices and left some off. But I shouldn't have because they totally shrunk down during baking, so don't be be afraid to pile it all on there!

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup almonds, sliced
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan (I lined the bottom with parchment paper and only buttered the sides). In a bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground spices, and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Mix in the yogurt, butter, and extracts. Stir wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices over top of the batter.

About to go into the oven

For the topping, combine the almonds, sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle the topping over apples. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick (or very thin knife in my case) inserted in the center comes out clean.

9 comments:

  1. Your cake looks wonderful! There is such a great combo of flavors in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to kick off apple season! In my opinion, you can never have too much cinnamon so I would probably add more spice as well. Also, I love how some of the butter is replaced with yogurt - good stuff. This will most likely become a favorite in my home as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That almond cake looks amazing!

    And speaking of coincidences, I made another de-veganized version of the pumpkin cupcake for my Cupcake Hero entry too! Still working on the post though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you tried and I love the spice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely - I could handle a piece of it with a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karine & Alicia - Thanks!

    Joanne - It was tempting to add even more spice but I think this was just right.

    Dorothy - I can't wait to see your October entry. That VCTOTW recipe really is amazing, especially for having no eggs or butter.

    Dragon - I meant to report my results on your post too but didn't get around to it. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the combination of apples and almonds sounds delicious. I can imagine biting into the crunch and the sweetness of them. If someone has made it a hundred times then I must make it too! m keeping this., tq :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Zurin. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu