Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dad's Potato Jalapeno Carrot Stirfry

2009.10.14 Potato Jalapeno Stirfry

This may be the first thing I ever learned to cook. I remember Dad making these potatoes for me in middle school as I eagerly watched at his side. I started cooking it for myself in high school. And it makes frequent appearances at dinner to this day when I need something super fast and easy, that's also fresh and flavorful. Only 5 (count 'em) ingredients. You can certainly add other seasonings (minced garlic would be nice, for example), but I like how this preparation really highlights the flavor of the jalapenos.

I confess it's not the most photogenic. As you can see above, the peppers get pretty soft. You could add them more toward the end of cooking so they maintain their shape, but I really love that they infuse the oil with their subtle spiciness so I add them first.

Do these carrots look like legs to anyone else or am I just delirious?

Lastly, I just need to vent for a second. So a bunch of us at work have been killing ourselves getting ready for our November trial. Two of us even worked ALL night on Monday to prepare for a big deadline...only to find out the next day that our trial was delayed to the spring. This is the fourth continuance of this trial, and I'm physically at the end of my rope. But at least I get to see my boyfriend during his waking hours again so YAY! Ultimately I know this is for the best and will allow us to be even better prepared when trial does come, it's just frustrating at times. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest =). On to the recipe...

Potato Jalapeno Carrot Stirfry [Printable Recipe]
Serves 2-4

2 medium to large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
(I always get organic and like to freeze the peels for making stock)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt to taste

Heat oil over a large deep nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced jalapenos to the pan and fry until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the carrot and potato slices along with a few dashes of salt. Spread the vegetables evenly in the pan and continue cooking, stirring only every few minutes. Once the vegetables begin to soften, you can decide how much longer to cook them based on how crunchy or soft you like them. When the vegetables have the texture you want, add more salt to taste and you're done. Serve immediately with rice.

9 comments:

  1. Eeeeks sorry to hear about the trial! But yay for better hours til then. :)

    I make a potato stirfry too, with sichuan peppercorn and black vinegar .. it's one of our favorite dishes! I've never thought of adding carrots and jalapenos, but it sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sounds great, Carmen! I have both those ingredients so I'll definitely try that variation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, yes, those do look like legs... orange knobby ones. I can picture a Halloween pumpkin teetering around on those legs in a Tim Burton movie, LOL.

    Anyway, mmm, yummy, your potato dish looks perfect for warming up a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reassurance, Jacque! And yes, this dish is very comforting in the winter with a bowl of rice porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm this looks like yummy! I can see how the carrots are legs. When I stare at food pictures for too long I always start to see strange things in them and feel crazy! How frustrating about your work. But yaey for seeing your boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe the answer IS probably that I was a bit loopy and starin at them too long, but all's well that ends in my tummy ;p.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I love potatoes and spicy peppers, I'll must try this recipe.

    Your blog looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see a nice simple recipe for once that doesn't go overboard with ingredients. Thank you - and your Dad:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu