Saturday, August 22, 2009

Soft Ginger Cookies


On the same night I made the Peach Crème Fraîche Crumble, I also baked these cookies. No, not (just) because I'm a crazy insomniac baker but because it was my friend and co-worker's birthday the following day. The first thing that came to mind was to bake her a cake, of course. My signature being a deep dark chocolate cake (which I promise to post about down the line) with frosting/filling varied according to each person's preference. But it turned out that she's not a fan of chocolate or even cakes in general. Luckily her enthusiasm for the ginger cookies I'd baked last winter came to mind, so I chose to make her a personal stash.


Truly, these are a delight. Slightly crunchy on the outside with chewy innards (hehe). And don't shy away from the cayenne! It's just a little bit, so trust me, no one will notice other than to note that these cookies have just the right amount of spicy kick.


Soft Ginger Cookies
[Printable Recipe]

Adapted from Cookie Madness
Makes about 34 medium cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up, still firm
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
2 1/2 cups all purpose or white whole wheat flour (11.1 oz) – spoon and sweep
(Increased from the original since I used all butter and the dough was too soft)
tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 cup sparkly sugar (I just used granulated)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready two or three large cookie sheets lined with parchment or silicone sheets.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time. Continue beating for another minute. Beat in egg, vanilla and molasses.

In a separate bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, soda, salt and remaining spices. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until mixed.

Shape dough into balls approximately 1 inch across. Roll the balls in sparkly (or granulated) sugar. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets and bake one sheet at a time on center rack of oven for about 12 minutes. Cookies should appear cracked on top but still slightly soft.

6 comments:

  1. Cookies in a tiffany's box?? awesome :) they were great, btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I please have one to go with my tea that I'm sipping?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sook - I didn't realize but you're right - it does look like a Tiffany's box. Hopefully she didn't think it was jewelry O=).

    Susan - Sure! I only wish I'd thought of having the leftovers with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous looking Ginger cookies, and I adore the addition of cayenne for that kick of heat.

    That said, I was also reading your post about the delicious looking peach creme fraiche, and you're right, very easy to make. Only problem is, here in the US, it's hard to find heavy cream that isn't ULTRA pasteurized, so you never get as thick and lovely a creme fraiche as you would with just pasteurized or non pasteurized heavy cream :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming by, Lisa! And thanks for the info about American heavy cream. Maybe I'll make creme fraiche again but with local cream sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound quite delicious! The cayenne is definitely a welcome surprise.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love so many of the recipes you have on here. Now I'm off to bookmark them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu