Friday, August 7, 2009

Snickerdoodles (no relation to Snickers)

2009.08.06 Snickerdoodles

Yep, I baked for work 2 nights in a row on top of overtime...so I'm crazy alright. Frankly, this cookie recipe looked kind of vanilla to me after the "fancy" (as one coworker called it) flavor combination in yesterday's banana bread. Trust me though, I just inhaled 4 of these babies in an embarrassingly short amount of time so I'm confident they'll hold their own against other baked goods.

In case you're not familiar with snickerdoodles, as I just learned several people weren't, they're essentially sugar cookies rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking. For my first time making these from scratch, I chose Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles recipe, posted on Allrecipes. With over 2,000 rave reviews, I figured I'd keep substitutions to a minimum and simply link to the original recipe. I used all butter and no shortening and doubled the amount of cinnamon sugar to make coating easier. As the photos show, mine were missing the cracked surfaces characteristic of snickerdoodles. On top of that, the cookies baked on different metal sheets and liners consistently set up differently from each other (see below):

2009.08.06 Snickerdoodles
Cookie baked on sheet with lower rim lined with a Silpat silicone mat (left) and
cookie
baked on insulated sheet with higher rim lined with parchment paper (right)

I'd love to figure out what caused both of these results, but it'll have to wait. I'll be on vacation in NYC then NC all of next week. Superw00t! Bye for a while!

Be the first to reply!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu