Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Amazing Baked Eggplant Parmigiana

There's this idea in my head that people should moan when they taste something truly fantastic. Now me, I'm not such a big vocalizer. But rolling my eyes as the first waves of flavor bombard my taste buds? And licking the plate clean when it's all gone? SO me, and I did both while eating Susan's (of Food Blogga fame) eggplant parmigiana. Just so ya know, the NYC Creperie's strawberry nutella tiramisu (frakkin tiramisu!) crepes are worthy of the same reaction.

The key point, though, is that you gotta try this recipe. Not only is it surprisingly simple and low-effort considering its taste, but Susan bakes her version, making it way healthier than the fast food parm subs of my childhood. Plus if you hop on over to her original post, she'll even tell you some cool stuff about eggplants. For example, did you know that they were grown first in India over 4,000 years ago? No wonder Indians also came up with such yummy ways to prepare it! One little tip from me if you do decide to try this parmigiana. Don't get the fattest eggplant in sight simply cause the recipe said "large." Even making thicker-than-directed slices, I still had extra that wouldn't fit on my largest baking sheet. Stick with the average lookin' guy and enjoy the recipe after the jump.

Baked Eggplant Parmigiana [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Food Blogga
Serves 4

Eggplant:
2 large eggs (I ran out of eggs and subbed in Ener-G egg replacer)
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Couple pinches of salt
3/4 cup bread crumbs (preferably plain)
1/4 cup grated Reggiano-Parmigiano cheese
1 large eggplant, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices (yields 10-12 slices)

Marinara Sauce:
2 tsp olive oil
1 shallot, diced OR 1/4 cup onion plus dash of garlic powder
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (preferably San Marzano OR Muir Glen)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I used 1 dried red chili)
a couple of pinches of salt
2 rounded Tbsp EACH of chopped fresh basil and parsley
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Reggiano-Parmigiano cheese

In a small bowl, whisk eggs, crushed red pepper, and salt. Pour into a wide, shallow bowl or plate.

Mix breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup grated cheese in a separate wide, shallow bowl or plate.

Dip eggplant slices one at a time into the egg mixture, allowing excess to drip into the bowl. Dredge in the bread crumbs, ensuring that the entire slice of eggplant is coated with the crumbs. Place on a large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices.

Bake eggplant at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until golden and crisp.

While eggplant is cooking, the marinara sauce can be made. In a medium pot over medium heat, warm 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add shallots and saute 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add the canned tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir until well combined. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let sauce lightly bubble for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Turn off heat. Stir in the fresh herbs.

To assemble the eggplant parmigiano, use either one 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking dish. Start by covering the bottom of the dish with a layer of marinara sauce. Add 4 slices of baked eggplant (larger slices on the bottom), and top with 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella and 1/3 of the grated cheese. Repeat two more times, or until all ingredients are used.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce begins to bubble and the cheese turns golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Xiaolu! Yay! I'm so happy that you loved the eggplant! It's one of my favorites. In fact, I just bought a beautiful eggplant at the market this morning, and guess what I'll be doing with it? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After suffering through some soggy eggplant that my DH grilled over the weekend, I'm anxious to give this one a try. Thanks! Also, could you let me know how I can get in touch with you by email? Send address to vicki@paralegalmentor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do try Susan's recipe - it won't disappoint. My email address is on my blogger profile. Thanks for coming by, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu