Saturday, August 15, 2009

Muffin WIN


So I'm back and refreshed from a wonderful week at the beach! We actually got in so recently that there's still sand in my ears =), but I couldn't wait a second longer to gush about these scrumptious muffins that I'd brought with us. Although it's not documented here, I've had quite the bumpy history with from-scratch muffins. Sure, I've had some moderate success recently and discovered that recipes with bananas somehow manage to survive even my muffin misfortune. But I struggled on in search of THE berry muffin recipe that could live up to the ideal in my mind: sweet but not tooth-achingly so, bursting with fresh berry flavor, and possessing a tenderness reminiscent of cake, yet with enough substance to get me through an entire morning.


Well call off the search 'cause I FOUND IT. Just in time too. With the specter of one-too-many-rubbery-muffins-past looming over me, I'd begun to doubt that I'd ever conquer this classic breakfast treat. Oh boy did perseverance pay off, and who knew victory would taste so sweet...and tender? I made a few tweaks to make the original recipe even better, I dare say. If anyone else out there is, like I was not so long ago, desperate for their first unequivocal muffin success, please give this one a spin. You won't regret it. Nor will you be able to stop eating them while simultaneously patting yourself on the back (I particularly pride myself on this kind of multitasking). And in case you don't inhale them all the first day (unlikely), these keep well for several days. Just be sure to cool them completely before storing or the topping will get soggy.


S'About Time Blueberry Muffins
[Printable Recipe]

Adapted from To Die For Blueberry Muffins posted on Allrecipes
Makes 12 muffins

XIAOLU'S NOTES: I've read that frozen blueberries will work as well, but that you have to toss the frozen fruit in a light coat of flour before gently folding into the batter to prevent the color from bleeding during baking.

2 1/4 cups (10 oz.) all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
Slightly rounded 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup yogurt (thin out with milk if too thick) OR buttermilk
1/2 Tbsp lemon or orange zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup (1.5 oz.) all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp butter, cubed
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 3 T butter, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix with fork, and set aside.

To Make Muffin Batter: Sift together 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, salt, and baking powder into a medium to large mixing bowl. Mix dry ingredients to combine thoroughly and make a well in the center. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the eggs, yogurt or buttermilk, zest, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture and mix very gently just until combined. Gently crush about a third of the blueberries with your hands or a spoon, then lightly fold all the berries into the batter.

To Assemble and Bake: Fill muffin cups right to the top (I like to use my 2 oz. cookie scoop for this), and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture (I was pretty generous in application and still had a little left over). Bake muffins for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some great looking muffins! I love blueberry! Glad this was a winner for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer! Fyi - I'm hoping to make your peanut butter mousse frosting this week on some cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu