Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Favorites and Kitchen Safety Tips!

My First Decorated Cookies!
What a crazy weekend this has been! Between Thursday and Saturday, I made 60 cupcakes for a hospital fundraiser, 6 orange passionfruit curd mini tarts, a batch of tangerine mousse, 24 pumpkin-decorated sugar cookies (my first decorated cookies ever and pictured above), and a lemon genoise cake filled with lemon curd and covered in lemon white chocolate mousse frosting as well as decorating a half sheet cake with lots of buttercream and pumpkin and fall colored designs! To be honest, I can hardly believe I was able to get it all done, but it feels damn good to have completed all of it! But I must confess that I moved my favorites post up this week because I simply could not drag myself back to baking just yet. So please enjoy these lovely photos from around the blogosphere while I muster up the will to get back in the kitchen =p.

Almond Toffee Fudge Photograph from Pure Vegetarian by Lakshmi
1 LaksmiW-Almond Toffee Fudge
Fairytale Wedding Cake Photograph via The Wedding Chicks
2 WeddingChicks-Birch Wood Look Flower Fairytale Wedding Cake Idea
3 KatieQuinnDavies-Upside-down Rhubarb Cake Rack Blueberry Galette
4 StuderTV-Hot Apple Cider Drink Bottle Basket Idea
5 SproutedKitchen-Crusted Butternut Squash Herbed Breadcrumbs Ingred
Apple Pie Bars from Kwestia Smaku
Kwestiamaku-Apple Pie Bars
Cocktails Photographs from Sheri Giblin
7 Sheri Giblin-Unknown Cocktails Drinks with Lime Garnish
8 TicketKitchen-Hot Choco Cube Pumpkin Labels Party Idea (See Printable)
9 HostesswiththeMostess-Lychee Cherry Eye of Newt Halloween
Lemon Curd Tart with Olive Oil from Gourmet Magazine
10 Gourmetmag-Lemon Curd Tart Olive Oil Sliced
11 Bron Marshall-Mandarin Orange Pistachio Muesli Oats Granola
12 Donna Hay-Brownie Cookie Sandwiches
13 GourmetTraveller-Apples with Calvadoes and Clam Chowder
14 Cookiesandcups-Pumpkin Orange, Red Velvet Whoopie Pie Cookie Sandw Fall Halloween Idea
Lastly I wanted to share this very useful kitchen safety infographic that a reader recently shared with me. Trust me, I'm familiar with the many ways that you can hurt yourself in the kitchen. Plus a lot of food-related illness comes from improper handling. So please put safety first whenever you're in the kitchen!

Your Kitchen is Trying to Kill You:  Tips for staying safe in the kitchen (Infographic)

Source by JES Restaurant Equipment

28 comments:

  1. very very nice round up of pictures! OMG how cute are those pumpkin cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin cookies look so cute, you did a great job!

    Great safety tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture choices! And I am loving all this kitchen safety info, I never even gave a second thought to storing knives in a drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had an awesomely busy weekend Xiaolu!!! Congratulations on getting it all done, and those cookies look fantastic, especially for a first attempt!!!

    By the way, I love that you included Donna Hay's brownie cookie photo in your Monday favourites, I absolutely love that photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post as always! Great tips.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew! A whole lotta bakin' goin' on! Good for you! bet the hospital values you talents! Excellent kitchen safety tutorial! Love the look of that almond fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute pumpkin cookies! you did a great job, especially for your first decorated cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice roundup! Love the pumpkin cookies too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for including one of my pictures in your beautiful roundup, totally made my day :)
    I agree with everyone else, your pumpkin cookies are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How many people/blogs/websites do you know around the world wide web anyway? :D
    I am glad you know all these people because I always look forward to this post and you always bring out the best that happened that week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is the wedding cake on the flower real or a part of cake? I have to go check it out. That's incredible!!! Thank you again for sharing favorites! You know we enjoy this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy, you've had a crazy baking week! I don't even know where to begin on some of these baking suggestions. Everything looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute pumpkin cookies! And I really like the idea of orange whoopie pies too for the autumn season. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nami - the flower is frosting, I'm fairly certain. Amazing, isn't it?!

    Thanks, everyone for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh gosh your frosted cookies look so cute and I don't even like frosting! Great round up as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your new header and background. and a lovely collection as usual. Love Laksmhi's photograph, but what so new in that?:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. arghhh.. meant Lakshmi..sorry for the typo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehe these aren't necessarily new -- simply the things that are my favorite for the week. It happens a lot of them usually are new though! I was actually going to feature a newer photo of Laksmi's laddu but realized I liked this older photo even better!~

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a lovellllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy blog! I am so excited I found you, I have been scouring your entries for the last half hour! you have a new follower!

    xo,
    ashley
    adventures of newlyweds

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are INSANE! But that's probably why we get along so well. :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved ur new look Xiaolu and the pictures are stunning... beautifully done and the flower frosting is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Almond toffee fudge! Wow. So many lovely links, thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful header and you really are a busy bee, Xiaolu! Baking..cooking..blogging..phew.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that apple pie bars! Beautiful.
    Have a great day ahead, dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi Xiaolu, you have a beautiful blog! glad that I bump into yours, I love your food photos.
    thanks for the info about safety in the kitchen, i need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a lot of baking you've been doing over the weekend. And those pumpkin cookies are so adorable!
    Lovely round-up Xiaolu! Thanks for sharing the kitchen safety tips also.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These kitchen safety tips are indeed great! It is very important that protective measures are observed in the kitchen at all times to avoid any mishap. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu