Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Hope you all had a fun (and safe) Halloween! Between Hurricane Sandy and coming down with a cold, I didn't go all out this year like I did last time. But I did manage to add a gorily festive touch to these fluffy Coconut Cupcakes with Chocolate Filling and Frosting by splattering them with red-colored simple syrup. I usually need to put my personal stamp on recipes, but this super versatile white/yellow cake recipe from Beyond Buttercream is perfect as is. I followed her directions for a coconut variation, and it was a thing of beauty. For a cupcake version, fill liners 1/2 to 2/3 full (this batter rises a lot) and bake at 350 degrees F for 19 to 22 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out mostly clean (moist crumbs are okay; wet batter means it needs to bake longer). Since my chocolate frosting has my personal spin, I will post the recipe below. Enjoy!

Bloody Cupcakes
I know I've been out of the blogging loop and haven't been visiting your sites as much as I'd like to, so I'd love to hear about your Halloween or just about how you've been in general in the comments below!

Dark, Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting [Printable Recipe]
Makes enough to frost at least 2 dozen cupcakes

2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
Large pinch salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
5 to 8 Tbsp milk, half and half, OR heavy cream
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

Sift the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and salt into a large bowl. In another large mixing bowl, cream the butter using an electric mixer. Alternate adding the sifted mixture (1 cup at a time) with adding the cream, mixing well between each addition. Once all the powdered mixture and 5 tablespoons of the milk have been incorporated into the frosting, turn the speed up to high and continue beating until a light, fluffy texture is achieved, at least 2 minutes. [Since the frosting will significantly lighten in color as it's beaten, you will need to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl carefully to ensure the darker portions are mixed in to make a uniformly colored frosting. Add more cream or powdered sugar if you want to thin or thicken the frosting. Use finished frosting right away to frost cooled cupcakes or cakes. If not using right away, frosting can be covered and stored at cool room temperature for at least 2 days. However, you may need to re-beat the frosting briefly if it's been siting a long time.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely! Hope you are doing well.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Xiaolu,

    it's so nice to "hear" from you again :). I hope everything is ok. Cupcake photo is gorgeous.

    Greetings,
    Ana

    p.s. I spent my Halloween at home (I did a little bit of baking too :)), because I work all day on the 1th of Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had one more trick-or-treater than we did last year.

    So. . .we had one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice bloody cupcakes!

    We had something like two hundred trick or treaters last night. IT WAS INSANE. We ran out candy twice, and it made me so stressed I got a headache and had to lie down. Hah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only recently back on the blogging scene myself:-( Halloween isn't celebrated here but looking forward to the festival of Divali in 2 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did not do anything for H'ween except eat roast chicken (Mike's 2nd time, even though I normally enjoy doing it he loves it now!) and roast fall veggies while watching Young Frankenstein. Yayness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Halloween! We had a very quiet one and I completely failed to do any themed baking...got lots of recipes pinned for next year though (including this one!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're feeling better now. The cupcakes look great. Halloween in India isn't much of big deal, we've only just started doing the dressed up parties and the like. But it is festive season here, with one thing after the other, so it's a fun (and super busy) time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH THAT I HAD TO READ YOU ABOUT ME PAGE.... It was so weird I'm studying nutrition and dietetics and I LOVE INDIE ROCK..no really I LUV IT!!!!....I'm following you now.... I've got a person diary, life blog...I'd love if you'd stop by and follow if you like it!!!
    Much Love Chari T (deep fried stilettos)xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu