Saturday, February 5, 2011

Guest Post: Frozen Brazo de Mercedes Cake

Trissa of Trissalicious was one of the first bloggers to reach out to me as a new kid on the (bloggin') block. I just had the honor of guest posting on her site. And to my delight, she also agreed to prepare a post for mine. As you'll soon experience, Trissa has a wonderfully warm style of writing that's guaranteed to make you smile (and often laugh). Plus her beautiful photos always make me drool. Another thing I love about Trissa is that she's both sweet and spunky. When she learned of my Donna Hay obsession, for example, she immediately offered to mail me the latest issue from Australia. Yet this same lady successfully faked a proposal to get into a famous and completely booked restaurant! How's that for gutsy? Oh and did I mention she's a master of macarons? Some other standout recipes on her blog include the mango natilla custard cake, strawberry watermelon cake, and bechamel prawn-stuffed mussels. But (and I hope I don't seem biased when I tell you) the cake she shares below just jumped to the top of my to-try list! Please give your warmest welcome to my dear friend, Trissa.

Being invited to someone's house for dinner always poses a problem for me. I often wonder, what's the best thing to bring? Given a choice between bringing the standard wine, flowers or food, I'll inevitably resort to bringing food. Then there's the dilemma of what dish to bring. Do I bring an entree or dessert? And God forbid if I bring the same dish that the host is cooking!

Frozen Brazo de Mercedes 1

Being asked to guest blog is just as nerve wracking. Especially when the one asking has such a beautifully written and photographed blog like Xiaolu from 6 Bittersweets. If you haven't already met Xiaolu, let me tell you a little bit more about her. She's a great baker, cook and all-around super foodie. I admire her because she turned her back on a successful career at a law firm to pursue a career in nutrition, for which she is currently studying for. It takes guts and personality to do something like that - and both traits shine through when you read her blog. Plus she makes the most beautiful cakes...

I pondered for weeks over what would be suitable for her blog. I knew she was fond of desserts so definitely something sweet most likely...but what? Should I make something tried and tested or experiment on something new? Would she like it? Would she have already made something similar? The list went on and on...but of course Xiaolu, ever the gracious host, gave me the kind encouragement, inspiration and free hand to let me do as I pleased.

Frozen Brazo de Mercedes 3

So I decided to make a dessert I had never made before but had heard rave reviews from friends and family. It's a twist on a very popular Filipino dessert called Brazo de Mercedes, which literally translates to "The arm of a lady named Mercedes". The reason being the original dessert is shaped like a jelly roll which was supposed to resemble the shape of a woman's arm. The outer layer is a fluffy meringue and inside is a custard made from the left over egg yolks and milk. I had heard that a popular variation on this cake was to freeze it, so instead of a jelly roll, you instead had a frozen layered cake where the bottom layer is made from graham crackers, followed by a thick layer of vanilla ice cream, then the custard and finally the meringue.

Now, I'm not much of a sweet tooth and the idea of ice cream, custard, and meringue sounded a little bit too sugary for my liking - but I did manage to wolf down two large slices, which went down especially well given the heat of the Sydney summer. Everyone else that I offered it to enjoyed it and also asked for seconds so yes, it was a great success. Good enough for Xiaolu's blog?

I'm certainly hoping so! :)

DEFINITELY good enough! Trissa, can I please just have the whole cake to myself? =p

Frozen Brazo de Mercedes

Frozen Brazo de Mercedes [Printable Recipe]
Serves 10 to 12

Meringue Layer
8 egg whites [save yolks for custard layer]
1/2 cup (110 grams) sugar
pinch of cream of tartar or egg white powder

Preheat the oven to 275 F (135 C) for non-convection ovens OR 250 F (120 C) for convection ovens. Grease and line a 15 x 10-inch pan and then grease the baking paper once more. Using a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until semi-stiff peaks and then gradually start adding the sugar until you have stiff peaks but make sure that you don't over beat the egg whites, otherwise it will go grainy. Spread the egg whites on to the baking tray and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and then place the baking tray on top of a rack and allow to cool. Set aside.

Custard Layer
8 egg yolks
10.58 oz. (300 grams) sweetened condensed milk
3 tablespoons (around 50 grams) of butter

Place the egg yolks and condensed milk in a stainless steel bowl and place the bowl a top a pot of simmering water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Mix the egg yolks and the condensed milk until thick using a whisk until the mixture has thickened like a custard. Remove from the heat and then add the butter, making sure to fully incorporate. Allow to cool in the refrigerator and set aside until needed.

Graham Crust
8.8 oz (250 grams) graham crackers OR digestive-style biscuits, crushed using a food processor
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons (around 50 grams) of butter

Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) for non-convection ovens OR 320 F (180 C) for convection ovens .

Heat the butter in the microwave until melted, then add the sugar and the graham crackers. Mix thoroughly and then spread over two 8 1/2 x 6-inch pans. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove. Allow to cool before assembly.

Assembly
4 1/4 cups (1 liter) vanilla ice cream, softened at room temperature for about 10 minutes

To assemble, place a layer of ice cream, around half an inch (1.3 cm or so) thick, over the graham crust. Place the mixture in the freezer and allow to set for around 30 minutes. Then add the custard layer and then return this to the freezer and allow to set for another 30 minutes. Finally, cut the meringue (you will have more than you need, so ensure that you can cut it large enough to fit the tray) to fit the two trays and place on top of the custard layer. Return the dessert to the freezer and allow to set for around three hours.

50 comments:

  1. Wow, looks absolutely amazing, really well constructed. I am sure you are pleased with what your guest brought to your house:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Xialou. I'm so glad to have discovered your blog through Trissa's which I've been following for quite a long time and is one of my favorites. This guest post of hers is another extraordinary one. What a beautiful cake!
    Wishing you both all the best!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is amazing! You are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that cake is fabulous! So pretty and exquisite looking. Perfect too.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah I agree, guest posting is one of the most nerve wracking things one can do in the blogosphere! However, this recipe sounds absolutely lovely. I've never really seen anything like it before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to find your blog through Trissa's. I am moved to make this -- a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oreo crust and some passion fruit caramel comes to mind, i'm on my way to the kitchen.. love Mercedes already..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have very fond memories of Brazos as a child. Growing up, my mom used to make the meringue while my grandmother made the thick eggy custard for the middle. I helped roll it all up. While I've never had the frozen version, it'd be a treat to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, this IS beautiful, i agree with everyone above.

    you are truly talented (:
    i will def. become a regular to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Besides being beautiful, this sounds delicious! I see that you put all 8 egg whites and yolks to good use in this recipe:) My daughter-in-law is Filipino so I want to surprise her with this dessert!:) Thanks!
    It was also fun to learn more about Xiaolu:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. can i just say, BRILLIANT!!! so simple but I can imagine it can knock your socks off!! Oh I really want SUMMER to get here fast, so I can indulge in this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arghhh I so sucky at making mouse layers :( for some reason, it's not fluffy enough.
    Anyway, nice cake again ^^ it looks very appealing & beautiful! xxx~

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's amazing!! What a beautiful cake. I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I agree, I want this whole cake too! I've never attempted a layered dessert but this actaully looks doable :) I love this guest post thing you two have done; it's wonderful to see the community of bloggers in action! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so beautiful and tempting. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Each layer takes dedicated work and it is so elegant. The softness of the cake is evident. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must agree with the rest, this is indeed a very delicious looking cake, I am so drooling over it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great recipe!! Love your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such an elegant and somewhat exotic cake- I've never seen anything like it before. It's simply captivating, another dessert masterfully done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG this cake is spectacular. The layers are so perfect and the colors and the textures look fabulous indeed. I am all ready to dig in right in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. a beautiful guest post with fabulous pictures:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Incredible dessert. The layers are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to everyone for commenting! It's good to know you're as tempted by Trissa's gorgeous treat as I am. Sure does make me wish they'd invented taste-transmitting monitors by now :).

    ReplyDelete
  24. The pastel colours are so striking and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like your new dessert was a success! I love the layers. No wonder your family raved about it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just found your blog! It's so amazing with worldwide recipes. Beautiful photography works too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh this looks so good!
    And the colours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a beautiful summertime dessert! Excellent work, Trissa! Thanks Xiaolu, for bringing Trissa to a new spot in cyberspace! This post allowed me to discover your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So pretty, and definitely tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This cake looks simply TERRIFIC!!! Absolutely delicious and delicate :) A great recipe!

    Beautiful guess post!

    Cheers,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the colors of this cake. It looks like spring time in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  32. WHAT! WOW! This look great Xiaolu. U r so incredibly talented. When it comes to making pretty things I have no patience. U make me want to try :)

    P.S. - I was trying to send u a mail but wouldn't find ur address

    ReplyDelete
  33. Xiaolu, what a lovely dessert, love the many layers...so pretty and perfect to end a nice meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the support, everyone! Just to clarify based on some of the comments, all the photos, the recipe, and text that's not italicized comes from Trissa. Isn't she amazing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This almost too beautiful to eat but thankfully that wouldn't stop me from digging in and wolfing down two servings myself!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love how small and cute it is! I also love all the little layers. They worked out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW, as usual, Trissa does not disappoint…you have a lovely blog as well! Happy find :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Jean, Yasmin, and Tenina!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've never been to Trissa's blog, but if this is anything to go by, she'll soon have a permanent spot on my reader. That looks so interesting and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's truly a feast to the eyes and to the tummy! Guest blogging is nerve wracking but the result is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I was just wondering how you cut the cake so nicely. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  42. wow! thanks for the recipe! I'm gonna try this on saturday for my husband! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi,

    Tried this recipe today and, although overall happy, I have a few suggestions.

    I found that the 30 min. after putting the ice cream layer atop the graham crackers was not enough. I made the mistake of applying the custard (egg yolk) mixture too early and it mixed into the ice cream. I recommend that you wait at least an hour (or more) to allow the ice cream to freeze completely. Secondly, the meringue (egg white yolk) mixture started to break apart too easily when I was transferring it as the last layer. Maybe instead of 8 egg whites, you should recommend at least 10-12 so that there is sufficient layering.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This looks so amazing! Brazo has always been one of my favorites but I wanted to find a layered recipe that looks more appetizing and this definitely looks the part! I'll try it for my family's holiday party.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu