Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Latest Music Obsession: The Decemberists "This Is Why We Fight"

The Decemberists

The Decemberists are without a doubt one of my favorite bands. It feels like merely a few months ago when the first chords of "Leslie Anne Levine" washed over me and stole my heart. Lying there in my new college dorm, I thought to myself, "It can't get any better than this." Now, 8 years, 5 albums, and countless concerts later, Colin Meloy and his merry gang have proved me wrong by continually outdoing themselves.



Today, I'd like to share with you (1) "This Is Why We Fight" (above), my favorite song off their new album, The King Is Dead, and (2) a sweet cover (below) I found of an older favorite, "The Engine Driver." I do so hope you love them as much as I do =).


7 comments:

  1. Xiaolu, thanks for introducing this! Love their sound and voice.... Reminds me of the music I used to listen to... Now? I am mire clubby, loungey stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it:) That's funny that you mention this group. My friend mentioned them on facebook today and I hadn't heard of them, and then I saw your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart The Decemberists. Colin's voice is simply divine, in that play-me-the-guitar-while-wearing-a-flannel-and-sporting-a-beard sort of way. (Or maybe that's just me. Whatever.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback you guys! LOL at the flannel shirt beard comment, Carter. Though I totally get what you mean, my boyfriend (who adores them too) actually randomly commented that Colin seems really effeminate in the way he sings the other day. Again, I see where he's getting that but I think of the band more as just quirky overall rather than feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen them in person... maybe I'll go stalk some Youtube videos to see what your BF is talking about. Effeminate or not, they win my respect with each album they put out... which is kind of hard to do in the current music climate of JBieber and Ke$ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu