Sunday, July 18, 2010

Procrastinators Anonymous (Coconut Cupcakes with Pineapple Curd)

Coconut Pineapple Cupcakes
I can't believe I'm saying this again, but I missed yesterday's Cupcake Hero deadline! (Check out the round-up here) It makes no sense, but sometimes I'm a naughty procrastinator even about things that make me happy (cupcakes being high on the list ^_^). I think I'm ready to make a change. Anyone got any tricks for kicking this habit?

Meanwhile, I'm pleased to report tardy cupcakes taste just as yummy as on-time ones. This month's theme was coconut. Pineapple and coconut share a tropical vibe, right? So I subtly flavored my babycakes with coconut milk, then injected them with a luscious pineapple curd.

Coconut is supposed to be the star here. I know. But the pineapple filling simply stole the show. It's a great alternative to its tangy lemon cousin (and leftovers are delicious on toast or in a fruit parfait). Next time, I'll pipe the frosting around the edge only and pile on even more curd in the middle (mm mm mm).

Coconut Pineapple Cupcakes [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Simply Recipes and The Craving Chronicles
Makes 20 cupcakes

XIAOLU'S NOTES: The pineapple curd recipe makes about twice what you need to fill the cupcakes. But it's so good you should have no trouble gobbling the rest up within 2 weeks. Halve the recipe if you want just enough for the cupcakes.

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup canned coconut milk [shake well before opening & measuring]
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pineapple Curd Filling (Recipe below)
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting (Recipe below)
1/2 to 1 cup coconut flakes, for garnish [you can use sweetened or not]

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 standard muffin tins with 20 paper liners. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.

In another larger bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and cream till light and fluffy again, scraping down the sides halfway through to ensure even mixing. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds each to ensure mixing. Be sure to scrape down the sides after each egg to ensure even mixing.

Add half of flour mixture; mix on low speed just until blended. Add 1 cup coconut milk; mix just until blended. Add remaining flour mixture and mix on low speed [or by hand] just until blended; do not overbeat.

Fill liners about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, rotating the pan after the first 15 to ensure even baking. Check with a toothpick to see if the cupcakes are done. If the toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean, they're ready. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 1-2 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Transfer pineapple curd to a piping bag fitted with a long pointed tip OR a squeeze bottle. Insert tip into each cupcake and squeeze out a small amount of filling. [One sign when the cupcake is full and to stop is when the filling oozes from the top.] Finally, spread cream cheese frosting on top of the cupcakes, sprinkle with coconut flakes, and enjoy!

Pineapple Curd
Makes approximately 2 1/2 cups

NOTES: The mixture may seem like it’s not thickening as you whisk over heat, but don’t stop – it thickens very quickly right at the end. For a smoother curd, push through a fine mesh strainer before storing. Press plastic wrap against the top of the curd to prevent a film from forming in the fridge.

2 large eggs plus 2 yolks [or 6 yolks for a richer curd]
2 1/4 cups pineapple juice [I used canned]
3/4 cup sugar
5 Tablespoons cornstarch

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Cream the butter, cream cheese, and salt together, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.

Slowly add the powdered sugar; taste as you go adding more sugar until you have reached the desired sweetness and consistency.

39 comments:

  1. Better late than never! pineapple curd is totally what I need in my life. These look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joanne! You're so fast :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These angel-looking coconut cupcakes look very pretty and perfect for these hot summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pineapple curd with coconut? How exotic! It sounds all very luscious. Those cupcake liners are wickedly pretty btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pineapple curd? omg! I know I will love it! Excellent recipe + photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delish! I want them. Lovely tropical flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about these cupcakes! Cream cheese frosting, my favourite! Coconut, another favourite. And what a fun curd! I think I've only had lemon and orange curd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Atleast you're only a day late. I skip soo much, it's not even funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm so sorry you missed the deadline! I would have loved to include you in this month's competition. I may have to try out this pineapple curd anyway though because it looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pineapple and coconut is such a great combination! I love how the serving dish looks like a little sampan or boat, which adds to the whole exotic feel :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh pineapple curd is a great idea! I've never seen it but I know I would love it :D Thankyou for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe looks like a keeper!!

    Those coconut flakes... i've not seen it here in Singapore before. Possible to replace it with fresh ones?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm terribly drooling over those cupcakes! i love the mix of pineapple and coconut! and the only frosting i really can eat and be ok about is cream cheese, so you got me with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pineapple curd sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How novel and interesting. These are very very charming little cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am also a big procrastinator... Those cupcakes are fabulous and must taste heavenly.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm tardy cupcakes are the best cupcakes- bahaha!

    These look insanely delicious. Pineapple curd just sounds deadly and I have so much fresh pineapple in my fridge....perhaps I'll be persuaded to make some. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've made many curds in my time, but never even considered pineapple. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did an amazing job, they are feathery pretty and perfect! I love the sounds of the pineapple curd!!

    and I always say, better late than never ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a shame that these weren't entered, I'm sure they would have done well! Make sure you get ready for next month's challenge. I love seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look delicious! Too bad you missed the deadline! (Although I'm secretly jumping for joy because these look AWESOME) ;) No but seriously, GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never in a million years would I have thought of adding pineapple to a cupcake. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. your cupcakes are so beautiful especially with the coconut cream cheese frosting. lovely clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have not tried making pineapple curd. Sound lovely with coconut :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a total sucker for the tropical vibe, tardy or not :) These are worth the wait. So, so yummy. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is absolutely nothing wrong with procrastination if it leads to a lovely cupcake like this one. So pretty. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. so whit, so snowy. I just love it, so petite, awesome, what a terrific cupcakes! :0

    ReplyDelete
  28. those are so cute -- i'm a coconut maniac

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum, yum and yum. That's all I can say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a tropical delight! and pineapple curd?!?! bring it on! lemon curd has never done anything for me, but the very thought of its pineapple cousin excites me no end! coconut is always a draw as well--these are outstanding regardless of your procrastination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mmmm...I've never had pineapple curd before, but I'm really interested in trying some! Your presentation is beautiful as well (as usual!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pineapple and coconut cupcakes are some of my favourite flavour combinations to make! but I've never thought about pineapple curd, I seriously need to try these because they sound too good! I am a procrastinator through and through as well so am afraid I have no tips to help with that either!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Angie - thx, girl!

    Danielle - I'm a sucker for pretty wrappers, just bought a box more of fun colors :).

    Anh - that's very nice of you to say.

    WizzyTheStick - hehe i'd have sent you some if they wouldn't have melted.

    eatme_delicious - I would miss the tartness of citrus curds if I only had this, but it's a really nice change up.

    Avanika - I'm glad i'm not the only one ;p.

    smalltownoven - please do!

    ovenhaven - you know that wasn't even intentional. glad i had a theme without knowing it XD.

    Lorraine - thanks i'd love to hear what you think if you try it.

    maameemoomoo - definitely a keeper for me. I replied on your blog but you can use other types of coconut flakes, no problem. The frosting is plenty sweet without sweetened coconut.

    Adriana - cream cheese is one of my favs too.

    Sala - glad you think so!

    Deeba - that's high praise coming from you :).

    Rosa - haha, join the club right?

    Koko - I bet this would be 3x better with fresh instead of canned.

    Hannah - I'm sure you could make a dynamite vegan version in a blink.

    Jennifer - they do look rather fluffy, hehe. thx!

    C&C Cakery - aw, shucks. that's very sweet of you.

    Missy Moodle Cupcakes - hahaha. love your honesty.

    El - I was hoping to do something different but because I rarely drink I didn't quite realize how frequently pineapple and coconut meet up.

    noobcook - gracias!

    Ellie - they were quite tasty together.

    LaChelle - thanks for stopping by.

    redmenace - you have a point...

    Big Boys Oven - (=

    Justin - I needed your type here to eat these. My bf doesn't have enough coworkers for 20 cupcakes hehe.

    Sanjana - and that is what I love to hear!

    grace - I love tart curd, but this may be just your thing even if lemon curd's not. It's creamy yet refreshing.

    Dorothy - it was surprising addictive. I really did pretty much eat the rest with a spoon...

    Kathleen - thx!

    Cupcake Crazy Gem - haha maybe we should have a support group and take turns bringing cupcakes 8).

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, these little cupcakes are so beautiful and I love the flavor of it...coconut and pineapple...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The bakery I work at makes separate coconut and pineapple cupcakes, but together these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These coconut cupcakes look just wonderful!!

    These would make an excellent dessert to enjoy with a large café latte!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love coconut, I love pineapple ... I LOVE this cupcake combo!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These look delicious! I'm going to have to try these asap!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu