Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ricotta Pancakes

Is there any better way to start the weekend than with decadent yet light-on-the-tongue blueberry pancakes? If you answered an enthusiastic "no!," then you're in for a treat (and let's be friends 8p). I confess, I knew little about Bill Granger before other than a vague recognition of his name. But if ricotta hotcakes are anything to judge a man by, we need to get up close and personal!

Blueberry Ricotta Hotcakes

This recipe came together fairly quickly. Beating the egg whites separately is probably the fussiest part, but turns out to be pretty easy with a handheld mixer. It's also crucial to the result, since it's what makes these pancakes so fluffy. On the other hand, the cuppa ricotta and 4 egg yolks in the batter lends these a silky richness. With a generous pat of butter and blanket of maple syrup, these are pretty darn perfect.

Now I'd love to know, what breakfast treat lures you out of bed on a Saturday morning?

Bill Granger’s Ricotta Hotcakes [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Bill Granger via Bread and Butter

1 cup ricotta cheese (I used part-skim with no problems)
3/4 cup milk
4 large eggs, separated
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
A dash of salt
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1-2 cups blueberries or other berries, if desired, for pancakes and garnish
Butter or neutral-tasting oil to grease the pan

Pour milk into mixing bowl, and add egg yolks. Mix till just combined. Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix. Add lemon zest and mix.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry peaks form, and gently fold through batter, leaving some streaks of white. Lastly, add ricotta and mix gently. (Take care to not overmix as you want to have chunky bits of ricotta to bite into later on!)

Heat a non-stick or cast iron pan or griddle over medium heat, then grease lightly with butter or oil. (I tend to use a small dollop, and then wipe the excess off with a kitchen towel so it doesn’t get overly greasy.)

Pour 1/2 cup of batter (per hotcake) into the pan. Sprinkle a few berries onto the batter, if using. Cook on one side until little bubbles appear (~2 minutes), flip over, and cook on the other side for about 1 minute. (You can keep cooked hotcakes warm in a low heat oven as you fry up the rest.)

Serve with a generous sprinkle of icing sugar, maple syrup, and/or whatever fruits you like.

32 comments:

  1. Ricotta pancakes are my favorite pancakes ever! I use Nigella Lawson's recipe called "Ricotta Hotcake". Love them ♥!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, there is nothing better! :)

    I have to admit that Bill Granger drives me insane, and not in a good way. But that is only his personality in his TV series - I have heard great things about his recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm looks scrumptious! your photo is downright gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love ricotta pancakes! they're the best, especially with blueberries!

    LOVE that photo, by the way! So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments.

    Danielle - I may just have to try her version out as well.

    Hilary - I guess I shouldn't try to find his show to watch it, then. Guess I'll just keep eating pancakes to show my devotion ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have really been craving pancakes later so I'm definitely going to have to try these. I bet they'd be great with a little lemon curd on them as well. Sigh. Gotta love ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! those look so good and sound healthy too.I came over from Food with Style.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful way to start your day. They pancakes look so light and fluffy. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look beautiful! I love ricotta pancakes... such a decadent breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came over from Jain's Food w/ Style. These Ricotta pancakes look decadent, but I've printed off the recipe and plan to try these soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a great meal for breakfasts! Love the photo, it portrays a bright happy moment on a breakfast table!

    Sawadee from bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photography skills are amazing!!! I'm jealous!

    The pancakes look good too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bill's pancakes are legendary in Sydney! Well done - I've tried his pancakes before and I dare say that yours look even better! Great styling too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful stack of pancakes! Ah, that looks like a positively dream, breakfast, bunch... Heck, any meal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just perfect. Beautiful image. I know what I want for breakfast this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are gorgeous as is the lighting of this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw shucks, you guys are making me blush. FYI - I've updated the photo since I realized the previous version was a bit overexposed. Hope you all like it!

    Trissa - legendary, eh? I guess I should be ashamed I hadn't tried them earlier :). I'm sure yours looked great.

    Lisa - Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've subscribed to yours for years and especially enjoy it since Indian cuisine is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those pancakes are perfection! Don't need to wait for the weekend to enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You eat pancakes??? I had no idea! Whew. I am so glad you are human too and not just a health food junkie.

    Your shots are BEAUTIFUL!

    And my favorite breakfast food would probably be bread. Any kind of breakfast bread.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is delight full and Joanne being ur sweetfren too, am inviting u here for her little party(its her birthday dear -i know that u know dear) which is a suprise party for her ...do leave her a wish in the sprinkles ok.....my feeds arent working or updating ,so am trying my best to find all her pals to leave her a wish in the sprinkles before she gets there or even after....will ya help too to make it a little sucess....and leave her a wish too?

    http://vanillastrawberryspringfields.blogspot.com/2010/02/joannes-birthday-middle-eastern-chicken.html?showComment

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh those pancakes have been haunting me, begging me to cook up a batch! Everytime I;m in Sydney I want to go try them out, but I always seem to get distracted! I shall heed your advice and make them pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, everyone!

    Laura - what an unexpected answer, but when I think about fresh bread with some good butter and/or jam or even fried eggs would be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG ricotta... i die. These sound soooo delicious can't wait to try them someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This reminds me of a popular dish at one of my local coffee shops -- a sweetened ricotta-stuffed French toast!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, beautiful photos! I can't believe how light and fluffy these pancakes look! Lemon and blueberry is one of my favorite flavor combinations so I am looking forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous pancakes - and great flavour combo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmm would love to have these for breakfast! They sound like kind of a ricotta pancake omelette! I love making waffles on Saturday morning. Last ones I made were peanut butter mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wish I'd had these for breakfast this morning instead of that lousy latte - gorgeous photos and I love Bill's recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I never quite get the whole pancake thing. I think these are the ones to get me hooked! I came across your blog today and so glad I did. Love your selections and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks very much, Tami! I'm glad you're enjoying the site. Thanks for stopping by :).

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was just looking for a recipe for ricotta pancakes, thinking of that 'Australian' breakfast guy I saw on an old Food Network show years ago but not remembering his name. Talk about luck! I found the recipe and a beautiful blog! Love your site :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have to tell you that I made these last night, and they were OUTSTANDING!!! Sooooo yummy and fluffy! Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu