Friday, February 26, 2010

Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits

Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits

Upfront, these biscuits are loaded with butter. (I hope you're proud of me, Laura =p). You simply can't get beautiful flaky layers though, without some fat to come between them (very sociable layers, you see). What this means is also that each bite has major buttery flavor, we're talkin' Serious Business.

I usually like my indulgences on the sweet side, but never underestimate the power of a good biscuit. Now nothing's wrong with a respectable drop biscuit (and I may even post a copycat recipe for Red Lobster's cheddar bay biscuits sometime). But something about peeling back layer after delicious layer of a warm flaky biscuit simply soothes my soul. Like some kind of prayer ritual to the gods of baking and butter, perhaps?

Making flaky biscuits turns out to be barely harder than making drop biscuits. As much as I adore layers, it's definitely worth spending a few extra minutes folding dough. So are you all in the same camp as me or are drop biscuits more your style? Either way, please do dare to make them from scratch. Who knows what all's in canned dough, and your taste buds will no doubt thank you for the wakeup call (while your waistline will thank you not to make them too often).

Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Fine Cooking [Click on the link for helpful step-by-step photos!]

8 oz. (1 3/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more as needed for shaping the dough
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
2-1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 oz. (8 Tbs.) very cold unsalted butter
3/4 cup very cold buttermilk
[I substituted 1/2 cup yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup milk]

Mix the dough:
Heat the oven to 500 degrees F and position a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to distribute the ingredients evenly.

Cut the butter into small bits and toss with the flour. With a sharp knife or a bench knife, cut the cold butter crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stack 3 or 4 slices and cut them into three even strips. Rotate the stack a quarter turn and cut the strips in half. You should create 6 small bits of butter per slice. Toss the butter bits into the bowl with the flour mixture. Continue cutting all the butter in the same manner and adding it to the flour mixture.

When all the butter is in the bowl with the flour, use your fingers to separate the butter bits (they tend to stick to each other), coat all the butter pieces with flour, and evenly distribute them throughout the flour mixture. Don’t rub the butter too hard with your fingertips or palms, as this will melt the butter. You’re just trying to break the butter pieces apart, not blend the butter into the flour.

When all the butter is evenly distributed, add the cold buttermilk and stir with a large spoon until all or most of the flour is absorbed by the buttermilk and the dough forms a coarse lump, about 1 minute.

Pat and fold the dough:
Dust a work surface with flour and dump the dough onto the floured surface, cleaning out the bowl with a spatula or a plastic bowl scraper. Dust the top of the dough and your hands with flour, and press the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Sprinkle a small amount of additional flour on the top of the dough. Fold the dough over on itself in three sections, as if folding a letter (also called a tri-fold). With a bench knife or metal spatula, lift the dough off the counter and dust under it with flour to prevent sticking, if necessary. Dust the top with flour and press the dough out again into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle and repeat the tri-fold. Repeat this procedure one more time (three times in all).

Cut and bake the biscuits:
After the third tri-fold, dust under and on top of the dough, if needed, and roll or press the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick oval. Dip a 2-inch or 2-3/4-inch round biscuit cutter in flour and start cutting biscuits, dipping the cutter in flour between each biscuit. Press straight down to cut and lift straight up to remove; twisting the biscuit cutter will seal the sides and interfere with rising. Use a bench knife or spatula to transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet, placing them about 1/2 inch apart.

Gently gather any scraps of dough, pat and roll out again, and cut more biscuits from the remaining dough. You can gather and roll the scraps two times total and still get good results (the more times you roll out, the tougher the biscuits will be).

Put the baking sheet in the oven and reduce the temperature to 450 degrees F. Bake for 8 minutes; rotate the pan 180 degrees; continue baking until both the tops and bottoms of the biscuits are a rich golden brown and the biscuits have doubled in height, revealing flaky layers on the sides, 4 to 6 minutes more. It’s all right if some butter seeps from the biscuits. [Seriously, don't freak out because it will happen.] Remove the pan from the oven and set it on a cooling rack, leaving the biscuits on the pan. Cool the biscuits for at least 3 minutes and serve them hot or warm (they will stay warm for about 20 minutes).

27 comments:

  1. Buttermilk biscuits are my favorite kind. The more butter, the better, I say! ;)
    Beautiful photography, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for when I have buttermilk sitting around. I like flaky and I like drop. basically I just like biscuits. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...biscuits! I don't care if they're dropped or rolled. Either way, I'm a fan. Which reminds me, I need to bake up a batch this weekend for my freezer stash. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "BUTTER" and i had butter with a nice layer of sugar over oil free indian phulkas i made this morning...deliciously delightful...would so so love to try this biscuits soon ,actually am looking for a good recipe for butter biscuits and here ur !!!!

    And they are so so good n flaky....

    A wonderful day to u n thanx a ton again for stopping by at the party and adding to the fun sweets...ok thats it for coz wanna go and take a stroll n walk around drolling over all the eliciousness drooling over ur blog....lovely blog ie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, there is no better way except to make them from scratch. You know, the pounding and folding can be a bit tiresome, but it's also a great way to relieve tension! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe as a butter lover the fact that there's a lot of butter doesn't turn me off at all, much the opposite! I love a delicious flakey biscuit too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, but how glorious is butter? I think it should be a food group! heh, What would one eat these deliciously flaky biscuits with? Jam? Cream?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture! I adore the biscuits made with buttermilk and passion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! there really is nothing compared to scratch made biscuits! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never taste it and now I'd like to! A very interesting recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A homemade biscuit just can't be beat- whether the button on my jeans likes it or not! These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. they do look lovely and flaky and buttery and I love your photos too! did i also tell u that I love the colours of you blog...a gorgeous combination of green and red....very scrumptious looking..I wish i had it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. A biscuit in Australia is equivalent in meaning to a cookie in the US - so is your version of a biscuit more similar to a scone?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everybody for your wonderful messages!

    Alicia - I actually just saw that in the "translations" at the back of Delicious mag. I think you're right that this is basically a round, unsweetened flaky scone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I wish I could take a bite right out of that picture. I cannot resist butter in any form. Sadly my waistline will never forgive me if I make these... I will eat them all in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love me some butter and I love me some bicuits, these sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a treat! I'm not a big fan of biscuits in general, but when they're homemade, even I can't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ...pretty sure I saw these on Taste Spotting or Food Gawker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I had some of these right now! So perfectly flaky. I would say, I prefer drop biscuits because they're way easier and less messy, but folded dough is way better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sanjana - haha, that's why I immediately shoved them at my bf!

    Jamie - thanks!

    Hannah - same here, actually, but this is one of those foods where the assertive buttery taste sits well with me.

    Big Boys Oven - thanks!

    How To Eat A Cupcake - I do get around sometimes hehe.

    eatme_delicious - I thought drop was way easier too until I made these. The folding step is really not much more complicated :).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just made these with some roasted garlic compounded butter.
    Oh my gosh. Amazing.
    I dislike the actual use of butter milk and have a TON of yogurt... you're suggestion worked really well.

    Also, my fiance- who really will only eat kfc (yuck) biscuits LOVED these.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for letting me know how you liked these :). That compound butter sounds amazing. I actually can't wait to try these again adding scallions and cheddar cheese in the dough. My bf is a fan of fast food, too, but fortunately doesn't get it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i'm a bad, bad southerner. i can't make biscuits. i actually had "learn to make biscuits" on my to-do list for this week, and i'm glad i haven't tried it yet, now that i see these. i'm thrilled to find a recipe that doesn't call for shortening. bring on the butter!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha, don't worry. I'm a bad Chinese girl who can't use chopsticks! I didn't even notice the lack of shortening and I'd use Earth Balance if it were called for, but these are definitely plenty flaky without it :).

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu