Monday, July 9, 2012

Sweet Baptism Treats for Baby Warren!

Photo of Cake Close-up by John Manansala
Moon, Stars, Angel, and Lamb Baptism Cake for Baby W's Christening
Inspired by This Cake by PhoebeCakes
Photography by John Manansala
Hi there! Hope you all have been keeping cool if your area's as hot as our's (up to 108 degrees F at one point this weekend!). My new smartphone keeps buzzing me with heat advisory alerts. Even without any heat from baking, AC on full blast, everything dark, and 3 fans on, we were sweating like crazy. Please (oh please) do tell me that the summer heat's simply peaked early. Because if it turns out summer hasn't even brought out its big guns yet, I may not last the season =p. *Starts hummin' tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies...

The actual point of this post isn't actually to whine about a little temperature hike but to share some treats I made for an actual baby =p: my very first fondant cake as well as pistachio French macaron pops and decorated cookies to celebrate the christening of my friend P's little boy! I'm absolutely delighted for his entire family and can't wait to see how quickly Baby W grows in the coming year.

Photo of Macaron Pops by John Manansala
Pistachio Macaron Pops for Baby W's Christening
Photography by John Manansala
The inside of the cake consisted of 3 moist coconut cake layers, freshly chopped mango and mango curd filling, and silky coconut Swiss meringue buttercream. But to tell the truth, most of my attention fell to its outside. Covering my first-ever fondant cake was both exciting and a bit terrifying! I'm quite happy with how everything turned out, but I did have some issues with cracking and definitely have a lot to learn about handling fondant. Now that I've worked with it myself, I'm doubly impressed with all the smooth-sided, straight-edged cakes I see online! Even though I've watched just about every Youtube video that exists on covering cakes with fondant, I think it's one of those things that you have to learn by doing to a large extent. With my first wedding coming up soon, I've already ordered more fondant to practice with.

Hope you enjoy seeing my first fondant effort and other baptism treats and would welcome any tips or favorite fondant brand/recipe recommendations you might have to share!


Photo of Macaron Pops and Decorated Cookies by John Manansala
Angel, Cross, and Sweet Lamb Decorated Cookies for Baby W's Christening
Photography by John Manansala

18 comments:

  1. What lovely treats! That cake is so pretty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make the baby too? That's incredible detail! Excellent job with the fondant - it sounds like a delicious cake on the inside:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! that baby looks so realistic! great job on your first fondant cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake with the baby is incredible. I love it. You made this? I'd like to get some lessons from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER CUTE!!! Did you just say your FIRST fondant cake? OMG, you are so talented! If I make my first one... it will not be on my blog! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I've never worked with fondant before but it seems really difficult to lay smoothly. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot get over the detail of the Baby. Can-not! As Nami alluded to, your project firsts don't look like "firsts". :) what yummy and pretty macaron pops too. I like the tropical flavors you picked for the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so precious, Xiaolu! I cannot believe this was your first foray with fondant because it looks gorgeous & professional - but then again, you're an artist! I thought the baby was real at first!! The pistachio macaron pops are awesome! I want to hire you for any celebration that comes my way (knock wood) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the design!!! The macarons were delish! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. That is a gorgeous baby. The cake looks great, no need to worry about it being anything less than perfect. Love the idea of macaron pops

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooohhhh!! the baby is not real? It is incredible! I love it!!
    I'll do a draw in my blog for followers http://missjoyerias.blogspot.com.es/ for the followers.
    I would love you follow me and you comments what you think about our jewels.
    Thank you!!
    XOXOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, please don't take this as an offense but the baby looked so real to the extent that it's a little scary ! It is made out of fondant? Don't think anyone would have the heart to eat it ! haha, or at least, I can't ! It's just so real and adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offense taken at all -- in fact I think that's a lovely compliment. Though of course I can't take much of the credit as it was the beautiful mold that allowed me to make such a realistic baby. Fortunately sugar decorations are usually not meant to be eaten (but food-safe and edible because they're in such close contact). I've never tried it myself but I hear gumpaste tastes terrible. This baby was made of fondant with CMC added which hardens the fondant to be more comparable to gumpaste. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. What an amazing treats. Cute little angel cookies. Its such a delight to prepare this treats. That's for sure. They are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm also intimidated by covering a cake with fondant...they make foam rounds in the shape of cakes, and they're great for practicing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu