Thursday, October 21, 2010

Guest Post: Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes

Last fall I discovered the blog, Une-deux Senses, when Michelle made my Ferrero Rocher cupcakes, and I immediately fell in love with it's unique mix of delectable sweet and savory food, edgy fashion highlights, and spot-on music recommendations. With a sweet tooth like mine, it's been impossible to resist such gorgeous desserts as her open-faced blueberry pie and creme brulee cupcakes. So I'm beyond delighted to welcome Michelle here today to share these lovely cinnamon swirl cupcakes with us!

I love cupcakes, but then again, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a person who didn't! I've been oobering (if that's a word) over Xiaolu's numerous cupcake creations for ages. So when Xiaolu, the cupcake master, asked me if I was interested in doing a guest post, I was pretty flabbergasted - you should have seen my face! Me? The homely, little college blogger?

Une-deux Senses Photo 1

I make cupcakes, sure, but I don't think they compare much to Xiaolu's cupcakes - I mean she's a winner of Cupcake Hero for pete's sake! So when choosing what to write my guest post on, I knew it had to be something good, real good. The day I made these cinnamon swirl cupcakes, I fell in love and I knew they'd be the perfect thing for this little guest post.

Une-deux Senses Photo 2

At first glance, the ingredient list of these cupcakes seems a bit long, well, longer than I usually like my cupcake ingredient lists to be. But reading words like cinnamon, sugar and cream cheese quickly assuaged my fear. Let's just say, thank GOSH I made these cupcakes! They are now one of my all time favorites.

What I love about them is that they have this warm, home-y feel - like something your mom would make, something simple and comforting. The cake itself is super light and airy with a gorgeous swirl of cinnamon all throughout it and it's literally perfect. The cream cheese frosting though, is the killer but when is this ever not the case? I could eat tubs of cream cheese frosting and not feel guilty about it! But seriously, the combination of the cinnamon, airy cake and cream cheese frosting is beyond words.

Here's to Xiaolu and great cupcakes! Thanks for allowing me to share my love of all things flour + sugar + butter.

Une-deux Senses Photo 3

Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes [Printable Recipe]
Yields: 15 cupcakes
Original recipe here.

For the cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 cups sugar
1/2 tbsn. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk, divided
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 tsp. vanilla

For the filling:
3 tbsn. sugar
3 tbsn. light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cocoa powder

For the frosting:
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick or 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
vanilla bean seeds, from 1/2 a vanilla bean

To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake pan with liners, set aside. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the butter and 1/4 cup of milk. Mix on medium speed until smooth, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. In another bowl, blend the eggs, egg white, remaining 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Add to the batter in 3 additions, mixing for 2 minutes on medium speed after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl in between additions.

To make the filling, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside until ready to fill the cupcake tins. When ready to fill, place about 1 1/2 tbsn. of cake batter into each muffin liner. Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp of filling, then top with 1 1/2 tbsn. more of cake batter over the filling. Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon then use a toothpick to drag through the batter to distribute the cinnamon filling. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. To make the frosting, use a mixer to blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pipe or spread onto the cupcakes. Top with coarse sugar and cinnamon if desired.

Une-deux Senses Photo 4

37 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Will try to make some this weekend. Thx for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an absolute lover of just about anything that involves cinnamon and cream cheese frosting! Nothing can beat that combination. Awesome guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post! Those cupcakes must be heavenly.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post and those cupcakes look very beautiful and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cupcakes & photography are so pretty! lovely guest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I am even gonna eat it, too pretty ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cupcakes. Perfect treat to have for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of these, they look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful cupcakes!they look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great guest post. Photos are gorgeous and that recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comments, you guys. Glad you're enjoying Michelle's post as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These really look sooooo tasty! Great guest post, and prretty photography!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look like a truly wonderful combination of cupcake and cinnamon roll. Comforting AND delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cupcakes look really pretty! Thanks, Michelle, and Xiaolu, for such a sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The frosting is really pretty! Love the outdoor photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so gorgeous looking. I bet the taste wonderful and light. Awesome collaboration guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely & delectable post!! Those cinnamon swirled cupcakes look amazing!! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic guest post and cupcakes! I'll be adding Une-Deux Senses to my Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both of you make great cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cupcakes look fantastic! I love the cinnamon on top of a cupcak:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous cupcakes...whimsical and pretty! Beautiful guest post Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply stunning pictures. I can smell them now! Sweet heaven :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful guest posts. Wonderful recipe! I want a cupcake. STAT. However, I think I have to wait about 8 weeks until baby.... Wah.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous cupcakes! You always amaze me with your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hehe I learned a new word today-oobering! So cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great cupcakes...so cute..and must taste great. Can I have one with my tea?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it, this is such a fun idea! It's the best of both cinnamon rolls and cupcakes, with a trace of marble cake and coffee cake in the construction. Can it get any better than a combination of the above?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never have baked any swirl cupcakes before, seems this one might just be the one since I love cinnamon so much. Thanks for sharing!

    Sawadee from Bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks so yummy!! makes me want to eat it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love cupcakes too! Although these look super simple they look like they don't skimp on flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh yummy i LOVE cinnamon and am totally bookmarking this recipe thanks for sharing :O)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's like a cinnamon roll in cupcake form!! Yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Xiaolu, I chanced upon ur blog a few weeks ago. All your creations look super yummy! Today, I tried making this cupcake. However, it was not airy at all. In fact, the cupcakes were never cooked no matter how long I placed them inside the oven. Do u know what went wrong? Also, may I know the size of the cupcake liners which u are using? Thanks in advance~

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi there! Welcome and I'm so glad you're enjoying my cupcakes =). Sorry to hear these didn't turn out well for you. This particular cupcake was actually a guest post from my lovely friend Michelle of Une-Deux Senses blog. I've contacted her to let her know about your question so I hope you'll get her answer here soon. Oh and I'm fairly certain these use the standard cupcake liners that are about 2 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches tall. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  36. @ Anonymous: Hi there! I'm Michelle from Une-deuxsenses! I'm really sorry to hear that the cupcakes didn't work out for you but to be honest, I have no idea why they never cooked! The only explanation I can think of is if you didn't preheat the oven and cooked the cupcakes in a cold oven? I also used a standard cupcake pan, so if you used anything larger it might also take longer to cook!

    Hope that helps - Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu