Saturday, January 21, 2012

Latest Music Obsession: James Vincent McMorrow


If you follow my Facebook page, you may have already seen this. But this gorgeous song (and the movie through which I discovered it) has wound itself so deeply into my heart that I feel compelled to share it on the blog itself. If you enjoy this song, please be sure to check out the rest of McMorrow's stunning album, "Early in the Morning." His voice is one of the most incredible sounds I've heard for quite some time.

Third Star, the movie which features this song, follows a 29-year-old man (arguably still a boy) terminally ill with cancer as he embarks on one last fun outing with his childhood friends. You'll not be surprised to learn that my favorite actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, plays the lead. Nor will you be surprised to learn, if you've seen any of his work before, that he is incredibly believable and moving in the skin of this boy who's forced to quickly come to grips with his mortality. I don't want to give away too much, but I will warn you that this film is likely to result in some tears being shed as well as some heavy reflection on the direction of your own life. I'd love to encourage you to purchase the film, but I can't seem to find a version that works in the US/Canada. If you're in this area, I'll just mention innocently that you may be able to find it on Youtube 8).

IBelieveinSherlock || MoriartyWasReal

4 comments:

  1. I had learned about the film very early in the production, because I am also a huge Benedict Cumberbatch fan. I then accidentally stumbled upon James Vincent McMorrow and have not looked back since. :)

    I actually think the movie isn't released in the US/Canada. Thankfully I live in Europe, so all is good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes, I wholeheartedly agree! The film is just stunningly beautiful and moving. I love the humour of it: it is just a great piece of cinema. The soundtrack helps to make it even more special will lush tracks from The Memory Band and James Vincent McMorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu