Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Roasted Asparagus with Cherry Balsamic Glaze

Some time ago, Payson Fruit Growers sent free samples of their juicy tart dried cherries and tart cherry juice concentrate for me to review. The dried cherries were perfect in the cherry pistachio orange cocoa couscous I made as part of my A Lotta Chocolate series, but it's taken me a long time to get to cooking with the concentrate. The reason behind the delay is probably not what you'd expect, however.

Roasted Asparagus with Cherry Balsamic Glaze
I waited so long to use the concentrate because it had become a key ingredient in a favorite summer drink. Just a few cubes of ice, 1 to 2 tablespoons of tart cherry juice concentrate, and soda water to top things off quickly emerged as the ideal fast n' easy refreshment of Summer 2011.

Now that both summer and that bottle are nearly exhausted, I'm finally experimenting with the little concentrate I have left. Today I used it to give my typically plain (salt and pepper) roasted asparagus a little cherry balsamic makeover. The concentrate and vinegar combine to give the spears a sweet and tangy kick that's downright addictive. I hope you'll give it a try -- I'm sure you'll love it too!

Roasted Asparagus with Cherry Balsamic Glaze and Toasted Almonds [Printable Recipe]
Serves 3 to 5 as a side

XIAOLU'S NOTES: I like to prepare asparagus by snapping off the tough ends of about 2 to 3 stalks to see where they break naturally. Then I use a knife to slice the remaining ends off at about that length. I like to line my baking sheet with a non-stick silicone mat, parchment paper, or aluminum foil sometimes to make the clean-up easier. Sometimes I make smaller batches of roasted veggies in my toaster oven, but keep the temperature closer to 375 degrees F since my toaster oven tends to burn things.

1 lb. asparagus
2 tsp olive oil [preferably extra virgin]
Sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp tart cherry juice concentrate OR pomegranate molasses
1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash asparagus, and snap/trim off the tough ends. Let water drain off for 5 to 10 minutes.

Transfer asparagus to a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Bake for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the balsamic vinegar and cherry juice concentrate together in a small bowl. Remove asparagus from oven, drizzle balsamic cherry mixture over the asparagus, mix to coat, then bake for 3 to 5 more minutes.

Transfer asparagus to serving plate and sprinkle toasted almonds on top. Enjoy!

34 comments:

  1. Interesting combination of flavors, would love to try this cherry concentrate... and beautiful photo, as usual! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great combination of flavors, a nice way to dress up roasted asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of using tart cherry juice with fresh asparagus. I'll be trying this one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i am going to love these flavors..! pretty click as always!
    Richa@ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm, I love asperges, especially roasted...
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this cherry balsamic glaze sound delicious! have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite way to enjoy asparagus is roasting! Gotta try your version with the cherry balsamic glaze next time. Hm...the crunch on top from the almonds must be a nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful asparagus dish! This si the way I prefer them the best.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to kick up asparagus! This looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered balsamic vinegar a few years ago and added it to everything, now I think I'll be adding cherry balsamic glaze to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful dish and that glaze sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice combination :)
    hey there :) i just subcribed to your blog..please subcribe back,i'd love to comment some more..
    take care
    xx,Bisera

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roasting asparagus is my absolute favourite way to cook it. I love the sound of this glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a delicious and refreshing twist! Will definitely try this out since I love roasted asparagus too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have never thought of roasting Asparagus.Must be really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm imagining that sweet/tart flavor adding new life to the asparagus...heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heart this totally. I have the pom molasses and can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, everyone! I'm glad this looks good to you -- I hope you'll try it :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my kinda asparagus dish . Simple quick and crunchy with that sweet fruity bite.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love, love, love roasted asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper, so I think this would be extra fabulous with the addition of tart cherry juice concentrate and almonds. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUM i love roasted asparagus! the cherry balsamic glaze sounds deelish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cherry balsamic glaze sounds interesting. Even without it, the roasted asparagus with toasted almonds sounds great. So... imagine the glaze that brings the dish up the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love balsamic vinegar and adding cherry flavor sounds even better! Very nice and refreshing asparagus dish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful and delicious way to dress up asparagus! Great flavors :)

    Hugs,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this variation of asparagus - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi again Xiaolu! Just wanted to let you know that I've officially changed the name of my blog to "Smoky Wok" :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. El contraste de sabores es magnífico!! realmente estupendo y tiene un colorido precioso!!
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks delicious, and sounds pretty unique....and love the photographs too. The bright green asparagus is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Xialou,
    I have a certain mental block towards Asparagus, so have never tried making at home..
    The first picture is SO stunning! To me, Asparagus never looked this good!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved this glaze and would like to use these flavors . Great picture as always.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Roasted is about the only way I enjoy asparagus. Thanks for this recipe. I will surely be adding it to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this easy twist on roasted asparagus!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu