Thursday, September 8, 2011

Guest Post: Kadhi Pakora

As I've made well known, I am absolutely in love with Indian food. This love is only surpassed (and just barely at that) by my devotion to the cuisine of my native China. Like most people, I have my favorite dishes that I tend to order from each cuisine. For Indian food this includes aloo gobi (potato with cauliflower) and channa masala (chickpea curry). However, a while ago I decided to take a chance on a new dish consisting of fried chickpea fritters in a flavorful yogurt-based sauce called Kadhi Pakora. Wow was this stuff good and I immediately wanted to make it at home. Luckily I knew exactly who to call on, my friend Prerna of Indian Simmer. Having tried several of her recipes, I knew what I got from her would be fantastic. And having seen her blog posts (such as her recent clicks of India), I knew what I got from her would be beautiful. Of course she's proved me right with this lovely guest post teaching us how to make Kadhi Pakora at home. Now I gladly hand over the reins to you, Prerna!

Indian Simmer Guest Post Photo 1
It has been close to six years since I left homeland and started my own family and a kitchen. There were quite a few initial challenges and kitchen disasters but slowly I think I got a hang of it and started cooking some decent edible food. But there are two things that still make my legs weak when someone asks me to make - Indian pickles or a kadhi. A very close friend of ours is pregnant and the mommy-to-be has been craving kadhi, a lot! Lucky enough for me an Indian restaurant close to our place makes really good kadhi. Every few days I have to make a trip there. But after a few trips I realized I better face this fear and try to perfect the art of making kadhi myself.

Indian Simmer Guest Post Photo 4
There is no right way to make kadhi and you can find tens and hundreds of recipes out there. A Gujarati kadhi (popular in the state of Gujarat), Maharashtrian Kadhi (from the state of Maharshtra), Pujabi kadhi (coming from the state of Punjab), Aunty Sheila’s kadhi, mom’s kadhi and so on… A perfect example of what a traditional Indian food is, everyone has their own version with a few tweaks here and there but fundamentally they are all the same. Simple comfort food that fills up your belly, warms up your heart and you can never have enough of it!

Indian Simmer Guest Post Photo 3
Kadhi is simply a spiced soup that you make with thinning out yogurt with water and cooking it with some chickpea flour. Yes, that is all what kadhi is and then you can add whatever you want to it and make it your own. Some like to make it with some deep fried chickpea fritters, some add veggies or some like my mom make it with tomatoes. Some like to add more water and make it really thin, some don’t and so they add a little more flour to make it denser. Then the use of spices also varies from region to region. In some parts of the country mustard seeds and curry leaves are very important when making kadhi, while in other parts spices like fenugreek seeds and whole red chili pepper are used.

Indian Simmer Guest Post Photo 2
My mom makes it in one way and my mom in law makes it in another so when I try a recipe like this I take the middle route. Some of hers and some of hers! Some might find this recipe a little closer to the Punjabi kadhi and I would say those frequent trips to the Indian restaurant might have to do with that too. For the tempering, I used the spices that my mom uses and for the consistency I went with my mom in law’s style. I made some deep fried chickpea battered fritters and also some with vegetables. I am sharing the recipe with no vegetables here because that is what is commonly used for kadhi. If fritters don’t look perfect or they look sloppy to you then please pardon me. Making gorgeous looking and perfectly shaped bhajia is just not my forte so I say “I kinda like them that way!”

Here’s the recipe for my version of kadhi.

Kadhi (Chickpea Flour Fritters Cooked in Yogurt Soup) Naturally Gluten-free
[Printable Recipe]

Ingredients: Serves 6

For Besan (Chickpea Flour) Fritters:
2 cups besan (chickpea flour)
1/2 tsp ajwain seeds
1 pinch baking soda
Salt
Oil for deep frying

For Kadhi:
3 cups yogurt (I find whole milk yogurt tangier but you can use lowfat too) PLUS 4 cups water
3/4 cup besan
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp chopped ginger
1 Tbsp curry leaves
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 whole dried red chili
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 pinch asafetida (heeng)
1 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil
Salt

Method:

For Besan (Chickpea Flour) Fritters:
Mix chickpea flour, ajwain seeds and baking powder. Add salt. (besan fritters should be very lightly salted because it will absorb juices and flavor from the kadhi later)

Start adding water while thoroughly whisking so that there are no lumps in the batter. Batter should be light, smooth and thicker than a pancake batter.

Heat oil in a deep fryer and slowly spoon batter into the oil. Fry until the fritters are golden brown. Drain excess oil in paper towels and set the fritters aside.

For Kadhi:
In a whisking bowl whisk together yogurt and besan (chickpea flour) until it’s smooth. Add water to thin it out. Set aside.

Heat oil in a wok or a big wide pan. Add asafetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chili. When spices start to pop, add chopped ginger, garlic and curry leaves. Cook until it is golden brown.

Add yogurt, water and besan mixture. Add turmeric. Mix everything together well and bring it to a boil. The point when kadhi is starting to boil, it bubbles a lot and fast. From this point, turn the heat to low and continuously stir/whisk the kadhi as now it will begin to thicken.

Add salt and fritters and let it cook for about ten minutes or until fritters are soft absorbing liquid and kadhi is thicker. Some like to garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice.

30 comments:

  1. My favorite too, this is soul food and so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soo much love pakora kadhi with rice. Proper comfort food! Great post Prerna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful food, photography and post! I love Prerna's blog. Indian food is so unique and delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome. I am guessing the Besan (Chickpea Flour) Fritters would be really delicious on its own as a snack. It might be a challenge to save some for the kadhi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm mmm This looks delicious and I haven't made it in such a long time, I think it is time :-) Thnx for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat this right now! I can't get enough chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post Prerna!As you rightly said there is no particular way to make it. Every family has its own version. Loved your version too - simple and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kadhi Pakora became one of my fav very recently and I made it for last night dinner. It's so comforting .. with that tangy taste!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't tell my mom but I love Indian food WAY more than Italian...way more than any cuisine actually. Can't wait to try this! That sauce looks creamy delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm these pakora look fantastic!!! I love pakora, but haven't had any in such a long time. You've reignited a craving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Thanks THANKS everyone! And most of all thanks Xiaolu for inviting me over to your place and letting me cook some Indian food for you and your family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Prerna! Wonderful guest post and I really love your food and photography! I've never tried kadhi pakora, but I need to keep my eye on this menu! Xiaolu, thanks for introducing Prerna to us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous guest post and great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prerna, I'm so glad you posted this. I've been craving Kadhi like CRAZY lately. My ex used to make it for me and I haven't had it in ages. Thanks for the recipe - yours looks better than his ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore Indian food and gram flour is so delicious. That yoghurt looks really interesting and packed with flavour too. I often make thin chickpea pancakes but fritters sound much more fun and indulgent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I've eaten kadhi on its own as well as pakoras, I've never eaten them TOGETHER! Will have to crrect that very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds heavenly! I need to try this soup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for commenting, all! I'm glad you're enjoying this recipe as much as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's been so long since I had this :) looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are wonderful, Xiaolu! I like how you bring find writers to your blog and I love Prerna's recipes and photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so wonderful to see two of my favorite friends together. delightful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Xialou, What a wonderful combination of you and Prerna for this guest post!
    Love you both..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks oh-so-delicious! I love Prerna's recipes . . .

    ReplyDelete
  24. Two of my all time favorite bloggers in one place....heavenly fritters and I love that they are gluten free too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. what great recipe thanks fro the post !

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel like having Kadhi too now!:-) Wonderful recipe;Thank you for sharing.My mom makes it too,though she starts with the yogurt-bengalgram flour-water mixture and tempers it at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Irresistible comforting food. Lovely pictures and post, Perarna. Its been a while since I dropped by your blog, Xialou. Hope your doing good. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu