Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Guest Post: Watercress and Avocado Salad

It's probably not showing yet but one of my goals for 6 Bittersweets this year is to post more savory and healthy recipes in light of my plan to become a dietitian one day. But don't you fret...it's not like cupcakes will become scarce around here or anything! =p Anyway, it's just my luck that I recently found a beautiful blog full of healthy, nourishing, and full-flavored sweet and savory foods. It's called Scandi Foodie, and Maria is the talent behind all of it. And by "it" I'm referring to mouth-watering posts like these pear and semolina baked puddings, walnut-crusted chocolate ricotta cups, and roasted brussels sprouts walnut salad. After tweeting a few times, I already felt comfortable asking her to share one of her refreshing dishes with us and she graciously said yes. So now it's time for me to just be quiet and turn the mic over to my gifted friend, Maria!

Watercress Salad 2
Hi friends! I’m so happy to be guest posting here at 6 Bittersweets! Xiaolu and I share a similar food philosophy of healthy, feel-good food and
it is an honour to share this humble salad recipe with you.
Watercress Salad
As the Southern Hemisphere prepares for the cooler seasons ahead, spring is on its way for everyone else. This watercress salad is a colourful reminder of the summery months ahead, but for me it is as welcoming any time of the year. The gorgeous, simple and fresh ingredients make this salad a real favorite!

Watercress Salad Ingredients
Watercress and Avocado Salad [Printable Recipe]
Serves 2

100g watercress [about 3 cups], leaves picked and washed
70g snow pea sprouts (about 2 cups)
4 red radishes, cut thinly into slices
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp flaxseed/linseed oil
Pinch of sea salt

1. Place the watercress and snow pea sprouts into serving bowls.
2. Toss the radishes, avocado slices and pumpkin seeds in a separate bowl.
3. Whisk the lemon juice and flaxseed oil together and season with a pinch of salt.
4. Add the dressing into the mixing bowl and toss to coat.
5. Pour the vegetables on top of the watercress and snow pea sprouts and serve immediately.

40 comments:

  1. Looks like you are getting ever closer to your goal; this salad is healthy food at its best - yummy but good for you! I love the ingredients used. Such gorgeous colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE avocado salad! This variation looks simply lovely. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful salad! So healthy and delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Maria's blog and have been following it for a while now! It's great to see her recipe here :) It's always so fresh, healthy AND yummmy~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sliced that avocado so so beautiful!
    I love your salad ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely guest post Maria with a lovely salad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now watercress is something I can find here...yippy.. Snow peas, radishes, avocado. that is just fab...

    off topic: do you know of a good yogurt dressing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watercress...I guess I could do parsley instead too, right? This looks so springy and light and delicious...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely salad. So good and so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited about this guest post since Maria is one of my favorite bloggers! That salad looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! Maria is one of my gave bloggers too. This salad looks yum- I can't wait to make and share it with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great and refreshing salad...love the colors and the flavors of it. Hope you are having a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This salad has spring written all over it! ...and I just happen to have all the ingredients which makes it even more nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two of my favourite food bloggers in one place. It doesn't get better than this!

    I love the salad Maria, simply gorgeous and delicious. I love the combination of avocado and radish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a perfect salad for this season. I do follow her blog and she has amazing collection of recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking at Maria's food definitely makes me feel good! I love her style of "clean and neat" cooking too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The avocado is hugging the radish in the first photo! It makes my heart go squee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so fresh and easy, and I love anything that is made with avocado. It's nice to have a mix of healthy, savory, and indulgent recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sips and SpoonfulsApril 14, 2011 at 1:38 AM

    Forget the salad....what I'm loving is the beautiful hue of the radish against the green on the avocado. I love radishes :) Lookign forward to seeing more salads in your space Xiaolu!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That does sound delicious, and healthy to boot! I'm loving the photos in this post, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Maria! Her blog is fabulous and filled with quick and healthy meals, just how I like them. So happy to see her here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maria's blog is filled with some of the most healthy recipes I have come across!

    ReplyDelete
  23. very springy and creative! thanks for sharing a new blog site!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks absolutely stunning and appetising!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love watercress and just learned how incredibly healthy it is - full of phytonutrients and antioxidents. I plan on eating much more of it and will certainly try this recipe. BTW, the photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful guest post. Congrats to both of you, Xiaolu and Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  27. yep, this looks absolutely delicious! I love watercress, a rather underused ingredient!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Healthy, delicious and I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous salad and fotos!!! A wonderful guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks, everyone! Glad you're enjoying Maria's work as much as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love avocado, and the colours are amazing, your photography is excellent too! This is a really healthy recipe, but tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mmm -- I love salad and lots of fresh, crisp veggies. Beautiful photography, and what a perfect dish.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love Maria's blog and her fresh healthy food esp. the colors of her food. gorgeous salad!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks so much for all your comments, I really appreciate it and so glad you like the salad! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful pictures! And what gorgeous, fresh colors! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. that is a dreamy salad! Love the presentation and the wonderfully rich colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow Wonderful salad and that look so fresh.
    If you want more salad recipe please visit to :
    http://kitchensuperfood.com/two-salad-and-chicken-mushroom/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Always love Avocados with the natural fat it has.The texture yummmmmy.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu