Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ain't So Pretty But Sure Is Tasty (Roasted Vegetable Chorizo Frittata)

After the 2 recent posts about food styling/photography, you all must realize I'm quite devoted to making the food on this blog attractive. After all, we eat with the eyes first, don't we? When I pulled this frittata out of the oven and saw how brown it'd gotten, I knew that task wouldn't be easy this time. Well folks, I made the best of the brown edges and setting sun, but clearly it's far from ideal 8). What I can offer, however, is my guarantee that this frittata will impress you with its ease and yumminess!

Roasted Vegetable Soy Chorizo Frittata

The addition of chorizo sausage (soy in my case) was simply inspired on Donna Hay's part. I loved getting alternating bits of spicy flavorful "meaty" sausage and tender roasted vegetables (both in one bite when I was lucky!). The beets, potatoes, butternut squash, and onion used here are well-suited in taste and seasonality. But that shouldn't stop you from substituting whatever's in season in your part of the world. Please do also play with other herb and spice combinations. Just think of this recipe as a fantastic blueprint from which to build your own favorite frittata.

Now I'd love to know if you make frittata at home. And what are your favorite add-ins? Plus don't forget to enter my giveaway and food blog photography contest if you haven't already!

Roasted Winter Vegetable Chorizo Frittata [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Donna Hay via The Baking Bird
Serves 4

XIAOLU'S NOTES: The original recipe called for 3/4 cup of heavy cream, half of which I replaced with milk instead. I thought the dish tasted perfect, but feel free to use all cream if you want something richer. On the other hand, if you want to lighten it up a bit, try replacing another 3 tablespoons of cream with milk and/or replacing 1 to 2 whole eggs with 2 egg whites per egg.

3 baby beets OR 1 to 2 regular beets, peeled and sliced
2 small red potatoes, sliced
1/4 medium butternut squash, sliced into 1/6 to 1/4-inch strips
1 small to medium red onion, sliced
1 chorizo sausage, crumbled [I used 1 1/2 vegetarian chorizo sausages]
1 to 2 tsp fresh thyme (optional)
2 Tbsp olive oil
5 large eggs
6 Tbsp milk [whole or lowfat, not skim]
6 Tbsp heavy cream
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place beets, potato, pumpkin, onion, soyrizo, thyme, and oil in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish (about 2-quart capacity) and toss to combine. Roast for 30 minutes or until vegetables are golden and cooked through.

Place eggs, milk, cream, parmesan, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour mixture over the vegetables and return to the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.

33 comments:

  1. I find it looks good.... That frittata must be delicious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks perfectly rustic and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love frittata! And your looks absolutely mouth-watering. My favorite one is Potatoes and Onions :) I simply could not resist.

    Cheers,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious - and I love egg dishes, especially since my mum has 3 chickens :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had many of those days/nights, dishes... still I like how you styled it with the kitchen towel against the wood grain.. gives it a nice rustic look = )

    Thank you for the comment earlier... I needed the confidence boost...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks GREAT! Roasted vegies are the best! Baked in a frittata they must be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Xiaolu, I think this still looks pretty... At least that one single photo does :). I like the idea of using chorizo in this. I recall making this once but it was just a plain frittatas with vegetable and Sure is tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds delicious. Potatoes are great in frittata

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm I think it looks awesome! I love frittata, and love the combination of veggies you used here. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally I think this is very pretty! It shows a combination of fine ingredients and the colour is perfectly cooked. Save me some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I just posted some commentary on 'ugly food' ... my quandry as a blogger is to photograph finished result or just leave it at ingredient photos ... we love frittatas also! My fave is asparagus, sweet onion and Parmesan.

    Incidentally, your frittata is a lovely rustic dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried making frittatas at home yet but they seem to have quite a fanbase in the blogworld and this one doesn't look disappointing in the least. Still looks gorgeous to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything you make will look pretty Xialu. I am it is delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a beautiful job with all of those brown and orange ingredients! The whole photo feels so autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are too hard on yourself! I think this is SUPER pretty, and it looks delicious too. I love the addition of beets. I've never tried that in a frittata.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Xiaolu
    Your Fritatta looks absolutely pretty and tasty! Thanks for the cupcakes and taking the trouble to bake for all of us. And very nice to have met you.
    Sandhya.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I indeed looks very good. Oh and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Got to love a good frittata, and u do have some talent to make food look attractive. love the colored veggies that you used here. I love mushrooms, asparagus, sun dried tomatoes in oil, peppers, lots of black and crushed pepper and some good herbs in my frittata.

    ReplyDelete
  19. For some reason I never thought to sub chorizo for a veggie version, ugh, so many recipes to try out now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow ! that's a lovely blog and really well presented :)
    you can visit or follow my blog @ http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com if you wish to :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the encouragement, all!

    Susan - As I've learned more about food photography/styling I have realized that while some foods are more photogenic, there are few "ugly" foods that can't be photographed to look appealing or at least visually interesting in some way. My goal now is to learn how to do that for a wide variety of foods, especially the ones conventionally thought of as "ugly" :). Your frittata sounds delicious!

    Sandhya - It was my please to meet you and I can't wait for the next meet-up!

    Soma - Thank you and your frittata add-ins sound so good I think I must make that version next time =D.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This frittata looks wonderful! I can't think of a better combo that chorizo and veggies/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that frittatas are a delicious way to get as many veggies as you can into one dish. I like to make mine with lots of fresh herbs too, they end up looking very green!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I disagree, Xiaolu... I think this looks plenty pretty. And it sounds delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely recipe for a fabulous dinner I love it and it is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  26. i was thinking of doing some kind of egg dish tonight for dinner...i will definitely be trying this one out! oh, and i think it's beautiful!:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is very pretty and it is tasty :) I am sure of that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What did I do wrong - I made one the other day - same eggy ingredients, but with just te chorizo and cheese - what a disaster!
    This looks like rustic heaven!
    :)
    valerie

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is pretty :-) We love frittata at our house, including my kids. I also like to make a simple spanish tortilla w/ lots of olive oil sauteed potatoes and onions. Mmm...Your recipe looks wonderful-perhaps even dinner tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks, all!

    EA - I'd love to hear what you think of it if you try it :). I've made the spanish tortilla before too though with much reduced olive oil (I know it's not longer authentic but I can't stand to use half a cup! It's still quite delish with only a few tablespoons of oil though thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What are you talking about, the photo is gorgeous! And the frittata looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu