Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving! (Sweet Paul's Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake)

Same Cake, A Different Take

Happy Thanksgiving, you all! I'm lucky enough to be spending this special day surrounded by a lot of love and family (both mine and P's). Despite no small number of trials and tribulations this past year, I feel so grateful to have the support of amazingly generous friends and kin. And I'm learning to have faith that things are going to get better given time.

Speaking of gratitude and faith, Thank You for joining me on this mostly culinary, sometimes musical, journey I started nearly a year and a half ago. Whether you've been with me since the beginning or have just joined the fun, I'm so glad to have you =).

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake

I can't send a real treat to each of you. But I wanted to at least share this image of the salted caramel chocolate cake I made with love, for those I love, to indulge in today. Surely you're already familiar with the wonders of caramel, chocolate cake, and buttercream? So I'll keep it sweet and simple with: It's a fantastic cake. Please do give it a try. One last thing...I really hope each and every one of you gets to share lots of food and laughter with your loved ones today!

Salted Caramel Chocolate Layer Cake [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Hershey’s, Sweet Paul, and Food.com
Makes a 2-layer cake (about 12 to 16 servings)

XIAOLU'S NOTES: I recommend making the filling before the cake layers so the first has time to cool; it can be made up to 3 days ahead. I actually reheated my filling just a tad too much, making it runny. Keep a careful eye on it, and it should remain firm enough to stay put. The frosting can also be mixed up ahead of time, chilled, and brought to room temperature before using.

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 tsp instant coffee powder plus 1 cup boiling water
1 cup buttermilk OR 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Salted Caramel Filling (Recipe below)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (Recipe below)
Extra fleur de sel OR other fine-grained sea salt, to garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and dust with cocoa powder two 9-inch round pans. Optional but helpful: line pans with parchment circles.

In large bowl, sift and then stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the eggs, buttermilk (or milk vinegar mixture), coffee (or reconstituted coffee mixture), oil, and vanilla extract. Beat by hand or with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.

Pour the batter, which will be thin, into the prepared pans. Tap the pans firmly against the counter one time to remove any air bubbles. Bake just until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean (about 35-40 minutes). Let cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks and let them cool completely there.

Place a small dollop of frosting in the center of a cake plate or stand and top with one cool cake layer. Warm the caramel filling still in the saucepan over low heat for 5 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until of thick spreadable consistency. Spread evenly over the cake. Place the second cake layer over the filling and frost the top with chocolate buttercream. Finish the cake off with a sprinkle of sea salt, if desired.

Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed. Cake will keep for 4 or more days if well covered.

Salted Caramel Filling
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 tsp fleur de sel OR other fine-grained sea salt

Place the sugar, water, and corn syrup in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Turn the heat up to medium and allow the mixture to cook without stirring until the sugar turns a dark amber color (about 10 minutes). Remove the pan from heat and pour in the cream (the mixture will bubble up). Stir well, then stir in the butter and salt. Let the filling cool to room temperature. Then cover the pot and chill in the refrigerator until needed.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar, unsifted
Large pinch salt
5 Tbsp milk, half and half, OR heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Sift the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and salt into a small bowl. Cream the butter with an electric mixer in another bowl. Alternate adding the sifted mixture with adding the cream, mixing well between each addition. Continue beating until the desired texture is achieved. Add more cream or powdered sugar if you want to thin or thicken the frosting.

61 comments:

  1. What a lovely cake! And although we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia I wish all of you guys overseas in the US a wonderful day spent with family and friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one lovely chocolate cake and the filling and frosting sound heavenly! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't celebrate thanksgiving here but here's wishing you many more good things for next year. This is an amazing treat....it has the ability to make one salivate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so beautiful! A great cake that must taste divine.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy thanksgiving to you too!!

    Never tasted anything contains salted caramel, that is why I am so tempted to bake this cake, thanks for sharing it with us..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy thanksgiving!
    This looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving! I love reading your blog, and drooling over those scrumptious-looking pictures! Anything with salted caramel will float my boat.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanna say THANK YOU for that gorgeous post :-)
    LOve it n love you!! Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing!!!! Omg, i'm falling of my chair :) happy thanksgiving to you :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. The filling and frosting sound divine! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks mouth watering... nom nom nom.. Happy T Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo I definitely thought about making a salted caramel something this year. This looks glorious! I hope you had a great T-day babe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the deep, dark chocolate cake is a great vehicle for that glorious caramel sauce. in fact, i can't think of anything better. bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the sweet comments, you all XD. If you did celebrate Thanksgiving yesterday, I hope you had a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a luscious and so chocolatey cake! Gosh, and it's caramel-filled!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo, yum. You are right: all I need to hear was caramel, chocolate, buttercream. But 'salted' doesn't hurt either - salt is so magical with caramel or chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cake simply looks irresistible- Chocolate, caramel, what's not to like?

    I hope you had a very Happy Thanksgiving as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cake is stunning. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chocolate and caramel? Now that's definitely something to give thanks for. Hope you had a lovely day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my gracious.. this looks sinfully delicious. i must try this out sometime! hope your thanksgiving was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That cake would be enough to make a Canadian girl want to celebrate Thanksgiving twice. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I recently had the salted caramel hot chocolate at Starbucks and fell in love. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That cake looks absolutely sinful! It must taste delicious as well!

    Happy thanksgiving :)

    - the runaway

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you had such a good year. Your cake looks just amazing. What a true treat. I can nearly taste it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving too but I am thankful for what I have including the photo of your special chocolate cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Salted caramel chocolate cake sounds ridiculously good! What a delicious pair. Your family and guests are super lucky (= Hope you had a fantastic turkey day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks so irresistible ! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A happy happy thanksgiving to you too (although belated!). It's nice to be celebrating this day with your loved ones. Your Salted Caramel Chocolate cake looks stunning - a very dramatic looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful and delicious looking cake! I saw it on foodgawker and just had to pop over and see more!

    Be blessed-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW what a cake!!!! I love the use of salt in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great looking cake! It looks divine!

    I have a problem viewing your website with my IE 8.. once the webpage loads.. it will take forever and it will not respond after a while. I had to switch to firefox to correct this problem. Not sure if others have experienced the same problem. Have a great week a head

    ReplyDelete
  32. ohhh my gosh, I am such a sucker for chocolate cake! This looks so great -- chocolate is great any season, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wish you a happy belated Thanksgiving. What a lovely post. A big virtual hug to you! Anyone who gets a cake like this should be thankful indeed! Those flavors together are a killer combo!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a stunning vision!! This is beautiful and the salted caramel filling is what is making me want to try a big slice of it.

    i know I am late, but wishes for a fine Holiday season remains with you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks absolutely wonderful! I would love to chow down on a big plate of that!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow, I would so dearly love to have a piece of this cake in front of me right now. I've been on such a chocolate-and-caramel kick recently - I made chocolate caramel slice, and then yesterday I made some homemade Twix. But now I want to make this cake! Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. A gorgeous cake. I can just imagine how lovely it would taste! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. what a gorgeous treat! love the sight of the melty chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks, everyone! Despite having 5 desserts on the table, this cake was gobbled up. I'm back home now and wishing I had leftovers XD.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am not surprise this cake was gobbled up. If it is in front of me, I would gobble it up too:D

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your cake is gorgeous, and I'm sure the taste matches!

    ReplyDelete
  42. It looks amazing! I know what I'll be baking for the next birthday in our family... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm not a fan of chocolate but I wouldn't turn down a slice just to get to that salted caramel filling. Or you could just give me a bowlful?! :)

    Hope you had a blessed & delicious Thanksgiving!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  44. Salted caramel Chocolate cake. OMG. Thats ringing like a bell in my ears. This is surely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Xiaolu, your chocolate cake looks great...absolutely love the idea of salted caramel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. You're killing me here. As if I didn't indulge enough on Thanksgiving, you have to then show me a photo of this drop-dead incredible looking chocolate cake. It looks so good that I'd risk gaining another 10 pounds just for a sliver of a slice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Happy Thanksgiving and what a luscious way to greet us! If only I could reach in with a fork and take a piece I'd be one happy girl :D

    ReplyDelete
  48. Looks too sweet to eat. Just kidding! Happy tgiving to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Ooooh, love salted caramel. I just wish I had an oven so I could make this. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  50. your cake is just gorgeous and I'm not even a cake fan :D Happy belated thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love anything from Sweet Paul and this is great cake. Yours looks perfect!

    I love your blog! Congrats for staying at it. It's hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a gorgeous cake. First time to this beautiful place, hope to come here more often for these lovely treats. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks for allowing us to join you on this great ride. I look forward to many more of your beautiful and delicious posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. This looks sooo amazing - love the idea of salt and chocolate. I have a candy that I make with dark/white chocolate topped sea salt and it is one of my favorites. I hope to post it soon.

    Susan www.ugogrrl.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love how chocolate-y this cake is!! I'd love to try a piece!! Yum! You should consider entering it into Recipe4Living's 5th Birthday Recipe Contest! The site is turning 5 years old, and we're giving away a Scharffen Berger gift basket to the top birthday cake that's submitted!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I just tried out this cake. It was great! Thanks for sharing!

    http://sweetathena.blogspot.com/

    -jess

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thanks for letting me know the results, Jess! I really appreciate it :).

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow this looks amazing! I think my favourite part are the little swoops of the frosting on top.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu