Monday, November 22, 2010

A Savory Pie That's Not Quiche (Winter Greens Ricotta Egg Pie)

Do you remember the first time you tasted kale? I do. It was just 3 years ago. I'd felt "adventurous" at the farmers market, but had no idea what to do with my new bag of strangely sturdy greens once I got home. Flipping through a favorite Italian cookbook, a rustic dish with soft onions and creamy white beans caught my eye...then wooed my taste buds. I've adored kale ever since.

Phyllo Pie with Eggs and Winter Greens

That first dish has been made over and over again (and I promise to share the recipe later). But this nutritional powerhouse deserved to be more than a one-trick pony. For my latest kale-scapade, I settled on an intriguing ricotta, winter greens, and egg phyllo pie. Turned out a bit messy, as you can see 8), but full of lovely, well-balanced flavors. The bitterness of the kale mellowed by the slight sweetness of sauteed leeks and creamy cheeses and eggs. The only change I might make next time is to use puff pastry instead of phyllo to get this on the table faster.

So tell me, dear readers, do you enjoy winter greens? If so, what should I add to my currently limited repertoire?

P.S. - I've gotten behind on stopping by your blogs in the last week due to exams. Sorry 'bout that and I promise to catch up soon!

Savory Phyllo Pie with Winter Greens and Eggs [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Gourmet Traveller
Serves 6 to 8

XIAOLU'S NOTES: I think the extra flakes on top of my pie come from using old and thus drier phyllo pastry, so use a fresh batch for a neat presentation. I adjusted the recipe below to fully cook the eggs. Feel free to substitute swiss chard for half or all of the kale. But you'll need slightly less swiss chard, since it has smaller stems than kale.

6 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 lbs. kale, rough stems removed
2 cups fresh spinach
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 scallions, finely chopped
3 black olives, pitted and finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped [I used 2 tsp dried]
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

8 sheets phyllo pastry
4 to 5 Tbsp butter, melted

Cook eggs in a pot of boiling water for 7 minutes. Then drain, cool in ice water, then peel and set aside.

Coarsely chop leaves of greens, steam for 6 to 8 minutes or until wilted, transfer to a colander to cool, then squeeze to remove excess water (It's important to squeeze hard!).

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add leek and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes or until very soft. Transfer to a food processor, add greens, and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl, then add cheeses, scallions, olives, and oregano. Mix well and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place an 8-inch springform or other cake pan on a cookie sheet, brush the inside of the pan with butter, line with a piece of phyllo, allowing excess to overhang, brush with butter and top with phyllo. Repeat with remaining phyllo and butter, finishing with phyllo.

Spoon 2/3 of ricotta mixture into the phyllo-lined pan, smooth surface, then create 6 wells for the eggs around edges, using a spoon. Place eggs in wells, then spoon over remaining ricotta mixture, smoothing top. Fold overhanging pastry inward, brushing with butter between each layer and pleating as you go. Brush top with butter and bake for 40 minutes or until golden.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

44 comments:

  1. Looks very appetizing!
    ____________________________
    I enjoy every season greens actually ^___^ I love veggies, more than meat.
    And yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one gorgeous pie! I love the filling, especially the eggs.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I've only tried making kale a few times but I do love it. I'm a big fans of the squashes in the winter. Their rich flavor makes me feel warm on the cold days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks amazingly good! I've never had kale before, but I think I'm definitely going to try this recipe once classes are over - it will give a foodie thing to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love this pie! yum!

    I rely a lot on Asian greens most of the times ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Working with phyllo pastry just scares me so I'd probably make this with puff pastry instead ;) Looks delish though....one of the pies I've had on my to-do list for the longest time is Spanakopita, but that means overcoming my fear of phyllo!

    My favorite winter vegetable has to be brussels sprouts, pan-fried with a heaping spoonful of rendered pork fat and slightly caramelized. Simple and so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do enjoy kale. I am limited in the variety of winter greens too - I have not tried collard greens. Your pie looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How enticing- This sounds a lot like the Baked Garden Pie we make at work! I really like the idea of a flaky phyllo crust, much easier and tastier than most pastry doughs, undoubtedly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've sort of been stuck on one-trick with kale myself - just giving it a quick saute in a little olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and some chili flakes. I love the sound of the pie: I adore phyllo dough, and kale, and eggs, and ricotta. Combining it all in a dish sounds exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes.. I totally remember ... It was Samuel Adams, a micro brew, and I was working downtown in Adams Morgan... love the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm this sounds ridiculously lovely. I'm not a big fan of quiche but I do LOVE ricotta. And kale. And swiss chard. I'm really big on swiss chard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds amazing, but alas! I don't think I can find kale here. It's weird, because I remember eating kale all the time when I was a kid in the 90s, but honestly, I haven't seen kale in a good 10 years. Not at the supermarket, not at farmers' markets, nowhere. I think I need to do a bit of research into what happened... I need answers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, beautiful! I want to try kale. I've read so many recipes using it but I just never seem to see any around. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quiche sounds awesome. I love swiss chard too, both for it's color and flavor. Another nice one to try when you tire of kale :) Love all the protein in this quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I love the flavors in this! It looks so down to earth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhh! I adore kale! This recipe is just beautiful, I cannot wait to try it. Simply gorgeous picture :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I first tasted kale a few years ago in a yummy parmesan gratin, and like you, I have loved it since. This dish really got my mouth watering, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so nutritious and satisfying. I love kale in anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an innovative recipe! I love the phyllo topping and kale is just perfect for the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks amazing! You've always got such a way with styling and photography! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! There's nothing like a veggie pie! Good luck on your exams Xiaolu!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not sure if I have eaten kale before...we do get some vegetables here with that bitter taste but I love it that you've incorporated eggs and phyllo sheets to this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, everyone! Relieved to see you're enjoying the savory side. I'm trying to find a better balance between the sweet and salty :).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous pastry Xialu! It's my favorite way of making any savory pastry using phillo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had the same experience with kale. I only tried it a couple of years ago, and really took a shine to it. How did we miss it all those years? I would be really happy to dig into a pie like this. Looks so delicate and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely Pastry! Love the viggie pie, looks great. Good luck on your exams.

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful quiche, I love kale and try to squeeze them wherever I can...a perfect treat for a sunday brunch, no doubt would go over very well with my family, thanks for stopping by..you have a goregous blog!!
    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  28. i never want another quiche as long as i live...or at least as long as phyllo dough is available. this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this pie and of course the egg!
    What about Brussel sprouts.. any intersting way to make it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. "Kale-scapade!" :) Love that. I also love the sound of this dish. May I come over for some?

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Phyllo topping is genius!I love Kale and Chard too! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love getting my vegetables in pie form! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think my favorite winter green is dinosaur kale. I could eat it every day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This may be totally not what you're looking for but I make smoothies with raw dinosaur kale that my toddler even drinks. Dinosaur kale is really mild and not bitter like your other varieties of kale. It has nothing to do with fall, its a everyday drink. And I agree puff pastry will do marvelously.

    Your photography is stunning, it tells a story and not just a photo. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That looks really good. I think I'm especially attracted to the runny yolks. But now as I look through the recipe, everything in it sounds delicious. I'll have to try it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great pie! I can't find phyllo pastry but I think I can replace them with puff pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  37. i am so loving the eggs in this pie! This pie would make a very comforting meal!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love to just saute basil leaves and baby spinach with EVOO and some red pepper flakes in the winter. Always just so good and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Cool recipe! It's refreshing to see a savory pie that's not a quiche :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am loving this savory pie. What a delish way to present and consume some very nice ingredients!

    Spinach is what we have most often, cooked with garlic and caramelized onions.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for the fantastic suggestions, everyone! Glad this appeals to you as much as it did to me :).

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ooo I've looked at that nonna's italian cookbook before and wondered how it was. I have an Italian vegetarian cookbook but haven't used it much. This pie looks so yummy and hearty! I usually just saute greens with lots of garlic mm.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just found your blog through Trissalicious. It's beautiful so many things to try, very excited thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu