Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mojito...(Yea You Guessed It) Cupcakes!

Mojitos on my mind...

My friend's boyfriend, Eric, had his birthday recently and threw a huge birthday bash. His friends are the reason I've heard of "icing." Let's just say they know how to party. A good strategy for getting everyone pumped up? Give your party a theme and have drinks to match. Skittles, in this case. Even as food-obsessed as I am, I'd never have thought to base a party around a candy. Guests were asked to dress head-to-toe in their favorite Skittles color (classic flavors only) and rewarded with Skittles-infused vodka shots. I'm pretty "girly" when it comes to drinks and prefer to taste the alcohol as little as possible. So I admit these shots tasted like rubbing alcohol to me, though with a fruity edge.

Mojito Cupcakes

One drink I can handle, even when made a bit stronger, is the Almighty Mojito. Seriously, how can you not love the taste of summer in a glass? I reckon you can't 8p. But I'm no bartender, plus vodka was clearly the poison of choice for the party. My thoughts predictably turned to that certain perfectly portable baked gift: The Cupcake. My starting point, a classic vegan recipe that produces wonderfully moist morsels. Without eggs or butter, the key mojito flavors of mint, lime, and rum could shine unhindered. Rounding things off, pretty swirls of cream cheese frosting with extra zing from a squeeze of lime juice. Thankfully, I was right to count on Eric's friends having a healthy appreciation for this classic cocktail. These and some red velvet cupcakes made by another friend were gone within the hour =).

Mojito Cupcakes! [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from VCTOTW and VeganYumYum
Makes 12 cupcakes

XIAOLU'S NOTES: You'll need about 4 limes total for this recipe, if you garnish with lime slices. Otherwise, you'll only need 2. For the frosting, know that cream cheese can become runny when overbeaten, so mix only as long as needed for each step.

1 cup milk or soymilk
1/2 C fresh mint, roughly chopped and bruised
Zest and juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp juice)
2 tsp dark rum
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola or other neutral oil
3/4 cup sugar
Lime Rum Frosting (Recipe below)
2 more limes sliced OR fresh mint leaves, to garnish

Combine milk and mint leaves in a small pot over medium heat until hot but NOT BOILING. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Pass the milk through a strainer to remove mint leaves, but press on the leaves to extract as much flavor as possible. Set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a regular 12-cup muffin pan with baking liners. Whisk the mint-infused milk and lime juice in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.

In large bowl, combine the sugar and lime zest and rub thoroughly to infuse the sugar with lime flavor. Add the milk mixture, oil, and rum, if using, and beat thoroughly. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain [small ones are okay].

Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely. Pipe or spread frosting on cupcakes and garnish with lime slices.

Lime Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, cold and cut into 6 chunks
Pinch of salt
2 tsp dark rum
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 to 2 drops green food coloring, optional

Cream the butter, sugar, and salt together just until fully combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing. Add the cold cream cheese a chunk at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding the next. Add the rum and lime juice and mix just until incorporated. Taste the frosting, adding more sugar if needed. Add the food coloring, if using, one drop at a time and combining thoroughly after each, until you have the color you want.

35 comments:

  1. Mojitos are definitely one of the few mixed drinks that I can stomach without cringing! These cupcakes look and sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mojitos!

    They are about the only drink i can drink for many glasses in one shot. Now u got me wondering how does this cupcake tastes like! More so since it's actually a vegan cuppie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative! The cupcake looks so pretty and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne & Maameemoomoo - I'm glad you guys are in the same boat! These actually really reminded me of mojitos, though the drink is still best when you're need of a cooling drink on a hot summer's day. In fact, I bet it'd be awesome to have both at once.

    Angie - Thanks :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cupcakes are the perfect hand-held sweet - make em cocktail flavoured and you can't beat em. Every time I hear Mojito I think of Brian from Family Guy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh this is so cute! Excellent recipe and so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, vegan mojito cupcakes?! Is today my lucky day or what?! They're so dainty and cute. I seriously can't wait to try these... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Skittles-themed party? That's what I call obsessed! I like mojitos in every form, so I can imagine I'll devour these little treasures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh love the sound of these. So unusual but I can totally see how they would work so well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of icing before! I had to go look it up. Love these cupcakes of course. :) I can see why they were eaten up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm mojitos are like my favorite ever, i bet these cupcakes are 5x as better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. how awesome! the cupcakes are a great base, but that frosting--just give me a bowl of it. and i don't even need a spoon, my fingers would work just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mojito cupcakes are so smart! Would they taste a bit like my hubs favorite key lime pie?? Who knows, they sound divine, like your use of soy milk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cupcakes sound insane! I love the icing, they look so cool!

    I hope the birthday was great (it sounds like it was!!). Ahh...I need a drink. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cutest cupcake I've ever seen. I love the color very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the cherry bright green hue which I'm sure will liven any party :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful, and such a refreshing combination of flavors! They're so much fun, they definitely look like perfect party sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM!!! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy.....cake with mojito sounds delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll have a mojito with those wonderful cupcakes! That is such a great flavor idea.

    Thanks for your kind words and for reading my blog!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, beautiful cupcake...and sure I love the flavor ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Xiaolu,

    We've selected you as our Foodista Food Blog of the Day for 8/10! Your blog entry about mojito cupcakes will be featured on the Foodista homepage for 24 hours. This is a new feature that we recently launched and are thrilled to post your blog.

    Since you are now a part of the Foodista Featured Blogger of The Day Community, we've created a special badge for you to display proudly on your blog sidebar. I couldn't find your email on your blog to send you the access code for the special badge, but I want to make sure you get it if you are interested. Please send me an email and I'll send it right away.

    We are really enjoying your blog and look forward to seeing your recipes, tips and techniques on Foodista! If you would not like to be recognized on Foodista please let me know and I will remove your blog from our queue.

    Cheers,
    Anneka
    anneka@foodista.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I should try this lime rum cheese cream frosting. Must be so good!

    Btw, love the photos especially the first shot!

    Sawadee from bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favourite cocktail in a cupcake!!! Wow! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually did not guess it. I guess I'm not quick on the uptake these days, which I blame on a pregnant brain. Ha. They sound delicious though. Really pretty and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chanel11 - I love Family Guy but only watch the eps I catch on TV. Now I gotta look up the connection to Brian :).

    Anh - thanks!

    Sanjana - please do try them. they really have a delicious flavor.

    Danielle - hehe, perhaps a little obsessed but I've made just about every flavor I like into a cupcake, so who's to call whom obsessed?

    Lorraine - I do so love the unusual, you're right. Good thing this turned out.

    Brittany - :).

    eatme_delicious - I hope you were entertained!

    Michelle - now there's nothing to beat the refreshment of a cold drink and burn of a larger portion of rum hehe, but I'd say this cupcake is worthy of its namesake.

    grace - i can't say i didn't swipe some of the frosting myself using my fingers.

    marla - i love key lime pie, too, but prefer them quite tart. that may be another cupcake inspiration coming up :).

    Koko - it was really fun, thanks!

    elra - glad you like them.

    noobcook - I do think the bright color got the attention of even the people already drunk hehe. I'll have to remember that technique for future party foods.

    Hannah - thanks, girl!

    Moogie - welcome and thx for following me :).

    Kitchen Flavours - (=.

    Rosa - it's been my pleasure following your blog. thanks for stopping by.

    Juliana - glad you love it, too.

    Anneka - I emailed you separately already, but thanks so much for choosing my little blog to be featured.

    tigerfish - they are quite refreshing, especially with a cold drink.

    kris - thx for your comments, especially about my photography.

    Ellie - I never realized when I made these that so many others loved mojitos, too. Glad these appeal to so many :).

    redmenace - haha, I refuse to believe that pregnancy makes you anything but glowy 8p. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! That's one heck of an interesting cupcake! And the lime rum frosting sounds out of this world. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've always been on the look out for the perfect mojito cupcake recipe - it's shocking that many of them don't use fresh mint! (Say it ain't so!) I'm so glad yours do! (I'm also glad that you don't go light with the rum!) This recipe is definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That Skittles party sounds like fun!!! The cupcakes look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful cupcakes! My boyfriend and I went to a party a couple months ago and he spent the entire night making amazing mojitos for everyone. I'm sure these cupcakes would be a great hit with the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think I could happily just down the lime rum frosting and call it a day. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi i am very anxious to try these but i notice that you need to mix the milk with vinegar but it doesnt say how much vinegar to use. please help

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi there! Thanks so much for your interest and also for pointing out my recipe error. I actually replaced the vinegar with lime juice so the directions should say to mix the milk and lime juice. Will change this now! I'd love to hear how it goes if you try it :).

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu