Sunday, August 22, 2010

White Chocolate Sour Cherry Scones

White Chocolate

When my lovely blogger friend, Anh of A Food Lover's Journey announced that she and Cherrie from Sweet Cherrie Pie were co-hosting the International Incident Scones Party blogger event this month, it really got me to thinkin'. Despite prior successes, scones are just not something I usually crave. They're neither rich like brownies, for example, nor pretty like cupcakes and tarts. Scones also have an (undeserved) bad rep from the under-flavored/over-baked versions often found at coffee chains. I'm halfway convinced those are sold only to dry out our mouths so we'll crave more coffee (smart, actually).

But prompted by this event, I'm recollecting that the humble scone is bursting with possibility. Truly an unfussy canvas for playing with different grains and add-ins, be they sweet or savory, dry or juicy. True, Ms. Scone is nothing much to look at. But she knows this and doesn't try to hide behind any fancy frostings. She's happy simply in the company of a good cuppa coffee or tea and maybe some jam and cream if they're around. Prepared with the proper light touch, she'll reward you with a slightly crunchy exterior that yields to softer innards.

White Chocolate Cherry Scones

These white chocolate and dried cherry scones I made for the party are particularly tender due to the lower gluten content from the buckwheat flour (I used teff) and cornmeal. Methinks even a zealous stirrer would find them hard to mess up =). And you white chocolate naysayers, I encourage you to take a chance on these. Baking seems to caramelize the white chocolate so that the flavor becomes more complex. Plus, its infamous sweetness is reigned in by tart cherries and flavorful grains in a recipe that otherwise contains little sugar.

Lastly, I'd be remiss not to wish our hosts, Anh and Cherrie a big Happy Birthday this month! Please don't forget to check out their scones and those of all the other International Incident partyers by clicking on the thumbnails at the bottom of this post below the recipe.

White Chocolate Sour Cherry Scones [Printable Recipe]
Slightly adapted from Pure Dessert by Alice Medrich via David Lebovitz
Makes 8 large scones

DAVID'S NOTES: You can swap out dark chocolate for the white chocolate chunks. I prefer to used chopped chocolate because those pre-prepared chips don’t melt and get as gooey when baked. You can also swap out any other bits of diced dried fruit for the sour cherries; California dried apricots would be fantastic with the white chocolate chunks.

If your dough is very soft, or you don’t want to get the counter dirty, you can certainly spoon it onto the prepared baking sheet in 8 mounds. For firm, neater-looking scones, the dough should be not too sticky and you can knead a bit more flour into the dough. Since the scone dough is on the soft side, this is the time to get out your metal pastry scraper. If you don’t have one, a metal spatula will make lifting the dough, and the cut scones, a little easier.

1 large egg
Scant 1/2 cup (115 ml) cream or milk
1 1/3 cup (170 g) flour
1/3 cup (45 g) buckwheat flour [I substituted teff but whole wheat should work too]
1/3 cup (45 g) cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
1/3 cup (65 g) sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes
3/4 cup (105 g) white chocolate chunks
1/4 cup (35 g) dark chocolate chunks
1/2 (60 g) coarsely-chopped dried sour cherries

1 egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon milk
Coarse (or granulated) sugar for topping scones

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together the egg with the milk or cream. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, buckwheat, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Using a pastry cutter, work in the cold butter until the pieces are about the size of corn kernels. (You could use an electric mixer or food processor instead.) Add the egg mixture, stirring with a spatula, until the dough is moistened, then stir in the chocolate bits and sour cherries.

On a lightly-floured surface, pat the dough into an 8-inch (20 cm) round. If it’s too wet and is very sticky, knead in a spoonful or two of flour on the countertop. Use a pastry scraper to divide the dough into eight wedges and set them on the baking sheet, evenly spaced apart.

Brush the tops of each wedge with the a glaze made by stirring the egg yolk with the teaspoon of milk together with a fork. Sprinkle the tops of each scone with coarse or granulated sugar so they’re generously coated. Bake the scones for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.

51 comments:

  1. Um, ok, I need to go make these immediately! ;) These scones look incredibly tasty, and I love the blend of flours - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you combined healthy ingredients (the flours)with the decadent white chocolate. Makes me feel less guilty biting into one of these! (not that the guilt factor was big to start with, anyway... LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those, yum! And the spiral staircase of white chocolate at the beginning is equally delectable :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely scones! What a delicious combination.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg!! I would love to bake these sooon! White choc and cherry are my fav combo! And thanks for the birthday wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, how beautiful! I love the traditional triangle scones. Thanks for the tip on using buckwheat flour/corn meal. They really look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I really like the combo of white choc and cherry!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. White chocolate is a great idea, it must match so well with the sour cherries. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been searching for the perfect scone recipe and I think this is it! They are absolutely beautiful and I love the combination of the white and dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore cherries and the sound of them with white chocolate has me drooling. Wonderful! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think cherries and WHITE chocolate sounds divine! I'm not always a fan of fruit and chocolate, but the milder white chocolate would be great! Lovely recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Top picture of the white chocolate is AMAZING! Love the composition, light...everything about it!
    I've never tried making a scone but I sooo love them. Will give this recipe a try for sure and will also try taking that shot myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these scones and they remind me that I should have baked myself some for the breakfast!
    They look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. although using dark chocolate is a good alternative, i think white is most certainly the way to go. great scones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just lovely! My husband was recently lamenting that scones are nothing but dry and tasteless. He clearly has never seen the likes of these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Caramelized white chocolate? Methinks I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I posted a link to this recipe on my facebook fan page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Koreafornian-Cooking/151156571562268

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha i LOVE true blood! and what are you talking about? i wish i could try all of YOUR delicious treats, esp this one! or yea living close together would be nice, that way we could just do baked good exchanges lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. What great timing since I just bought dried sour cherries from the farmers market yesterday and was wondering what I should make with them. Now I am sure to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum!! Will add this to my growing list of scone recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sour cherries and chocolate are really good together!! Nice scone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmm! I'm a huge fan of this combination. White chocolate with anything that's sour or mildly sweet is always delicious in my book. And I love scones in general. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow...scones with white chocolate. These must be delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Scones are one of those things that I only crave a few times a year - I have a feeling I shall be craving them very soon thanks to your tasty morsels...

    ReplyDelete
  25. These sound SO delicious...and they look lovely...
    Now if only I could get my hands on some sour cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ouhhh gorgeous idea! I love how white chocolate slightly caramelises during the baking process, I can just imagine how good that flavour teams with sour cherries. Beautiful pictures as always. Well done to all of the participants!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, nice combination of flavors...white chocolate and cherries...all in a scone...look SO good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was never really a scone person either until I realized I had just been having bad scones all my life! This flavor combination sounds ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I must admit I feel the same way about scones - I never bake them; I have probably baked scones twice in my whole life. But these are beautiful! I've been in love with Alice Medrich's books, too. Love white chocolate and dried cherries. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a perfect balance of sweet white chocolates with the tang of sour cherry in bitefuls of scones :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I crave scones too. I am not a dessert kind of person at all. But morning and afternoon with my cuppa I crave scones. This is a lovely combination with some awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like the idea of a scone being a canvas. Traditionally here they serve as a canvas to slather jam and cream onto ;)
    Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A combination of white chocolate and sour cherries is overwhelmingly delicious...

    Sawadee from bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the idea of a crusty outside with a soft inside and the addition of white chocolate and cherries adds more intrigue into your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I need to make these for my husband - both white chocolate and cherries are his favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the first picture. It's very simple, yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a delicious flavour combination! The white chocolate would very nicely balance out the sour cherries! :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. Waw, these cherry & white chocolate scones look so attractive & addictive too!

    Just beautiful!! I also love the fact that you have used 3 different flours!!


    MMMMMMMMMMMMMM,...fab food!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a note, everyone! I'm pretty sick with cold right now and can't respond to each one, but I always love to read your comments and they keep me blogging XD.

    Subterfuge Diva - haha, I suppose it is kinda funny to put the "healthy" flours with white chocolate but I think it's precisely the heartier grains with their more earthy, complex flavors that keep the white chocolate from empowering the other flavors.

    Kim - I can see that fruit and dark chocolate wouldn't work for everyone's tastes. I do think the milder white chocolate goes especially well with fruit. Hope you give these a try :).

    Prerna - Thanks so much for your specific commentary on my photo. It makes me especially happy coming from a great photographer such as you.

    Michelle - I can certainly see how he'd get that impression of scones, but I hope we can change his mind ;).

    Tamar - Thanks so much for linking to my post!

    Michelle - YES! Anyone who loves TB is automatically 10x more awesome in my book. Not that you weren't already amazing to me between your baking, photography, fashion, and music tastes! Baking exchanges would be so fun...

    Patricia - Alice does have some amazing recipes, doesn't she? I've been seriously debating buying this book.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm not always a scone fan either. They are often sort of dry. Your version, however, looks moist and amazing! Lovely pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. wow, they look and sound awesome! Love the white choc and cherry combo!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your scones look awesome. So moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the gorgeous brown color of your scones. Sounds like a fab flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Xiaolu these are beautiful! What a great idea to use multiple flours. I really need to branch out and start doing this too. It would be healthier and more interesting.

    Besides how could I not when I read this, "I'm halfway convinced those are sold only to dry out our mouths so we'll crave more coffee (smart, actually)." Awesome!!!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mmmm, beautiful scones. I don't eat white chocolate "neat" but love to use it in baking, especially paired with a sour fruit. This combo sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  46. They look and sound wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh man this looks delicious! And your photographs are beautiful! Everything here looks great!
    I recently launched my own blog, I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! :) Thanks!
    www.prettygoodfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous scones! I think scones might be my favourite baked good. I know they're not pretty like cupcakes but they're so delicious and craggy looking and I just want to rip off a piece! Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would eat white chocolate-cherry ANYTHING. Seriously. One of the greatest combos in life. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu