Thursday, November 5, 2009

Blonde Ginger Cookies


Man, I've really missed baking cookies! It's plain to see I've been besotted with cupcakes for the last few months like a schoolgirl over the moon with her first crush. But now that the infatuation has subsided a bit (but not to worry, Miss C and I have an extensive affair ahead of us yet!), I'm ready to make more time for my other baked companions (e.g., cookies, brownies, larger cakes).

A cookie was really the only choice to jump back into the larger baking sea. You see, I've been baking cookies mostly on my own since middle school. My mom is a wonderful cook of home-style Chinese food, but she has not a baking bone in her body. A family friend actually started it all by giving a beautiful Better Homes & Gardens cookbook to little 6th-grade me. With this bible in hand, I made my first batch of deeee-lish-us (classic peanut butter criss-cross) cookies and began a lifelong appreciation of fresh home-baked goodies.

Tonight I sought the comfortingly familiar motions of cookie-making but also a truly new taste and texture pairing. Allen of Eating Out Loud showed the way with his "Blond Ambition" cookies. These are essentially an adaptation of the traditional molasses cookie that swaps in sweetened condensed milk for molasses, at once lightening color and flavor. My slight adaptation had the taste of a spicier and milkier snickerdoodle with an interesting textural contrast of airy innards against chewy edges. But like Allen, I'd prefer these to be flatter so I'd swap out the baking powder for 1/2 tsp baking soda next time.

Blonde Ginger Cookies [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Eating Out Loud
Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies

2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder (I'd try 1/2 tsp baking soda next time)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar (plus 1/3 cup to roll cookies)
1 teaspoon unsulphured molasses
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk, room temperature
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.

Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in egg, yolk, vanilla, molasses, and condensed milk until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients, mixing until fully combined. The dough will be soft. I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up but that step is really optional.

Use a spoon, cookie/ice cream scoop, or your fingers to drop about 2 tablespoons of dough into the reserved 1/3 cup of sugar. Toss the dough with your fingers to coat it in sugar. Once it is coated, you can handle it better. Roll between your two palms to form a ball, then place onto a greased or silicone mat/parchment paper lined baking sheet. Leave 2-3 inches between the balls.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. This leaves them slightly under baked so they stay chewy. Once they flatten and the centers puff up, remove them from the oven. Let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. The cookies will flatten as they cool, but should remain soft and slightly chewy.

14 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I am the same as you - I have been baking pretty much just cupcakes for ages and now I want to start baking other things. It is good to change things up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first attempt at cookies was in high school and it was a total fail. I made these peanut butter cookies that had the consistency of sand. And the guy I was dating at the time still will not let me forget it. I guess it shows how far I've come.

    These sound delicious. I love all of the spices in them. They certainly make for a unique cookie experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bookmarked this - they look amazing! I love cardamom in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia - Your cupcakes are so amazing that I can't wait to see you apply your creativity to an even bigger range of baking!

    Joanne - That's such a cute story and we've all gotta start somewhere. I made also made an apple pie in middle school that looked so ugly my dad wouldn't even try it hehe.

    WC - Cardamom is such a lovely spice, isn't it? Please let me know how it works out if you do try it :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo what an awesome idea to use condensed milk instead of molasses. I've never thought of that. And your version which is like a milkier snickerdoodle sounds like something I must have! They look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ginger in sweets so much! What a great recipe to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious looking ginger cookies! Besides, anything with sweetened condensed milk just HAS to be terrific!
    (I started baking in a home ec class I took. Yep- they used to have them!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhhhhh this is about to become my new go to cookie recipe!!!!!! I can tell. You said two magic words, "Ginger" and "Blond".

    Thank-you!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolaty Lifestyle - I love ginger in everything :). Thanks for coming by!

    Barbara - I actually discovered sweetened condensed milk backwards (from dulce de leche) and now adore both. They actually had home ec class at my school too, but I didn't get to take it.

    Laura - I'm glad these appeal to you! Let me know how they turn out if you make these, especially if you try baking soda instead of powder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of those spices in these cookies. I could gobble up a handful in a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum these sound amazing! i love ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Julia and Michelle. More than a few of these definitely went "missing" under my watch. Quality control, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gee, that gives me so many ideas. If you could swap out the molasses then you could probably use rice syrup or agave nectar or what do they call that stuff Coco Lopez (it's that sweetened condensed coconut milk you get in the drink mixer section). Yeah, swap out the regular sugar for palm sugar and use agave nectar and then they'd even be healthy! I am sooo going to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, the possibilities are endless! I'd love to hear what variations work out for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu