Saturday, September 5, 2009

Potato Methi (Fenugreek) Curry


PHEW! I haven't mentioned it here yet, but I actually just moved to a new apartment last week. My work commute is 10 minutes shorter now (every extra minute of sleep counts ^_^). A new home always requires an adjustment period and we were quite spoiled by the amenities at our old place, but we're settling into the new nest quite nicely. No one who knows me will be surprised to hear that the kitchen was the first thing I set up.

Today, on my first real day off from work and moving, I was looking for something fast and fuss-free but with a new and distinct flavor. This potato fenugreek curry was just what I needed. Fenugreek seeds are a common ingredient in curry powders and a mainstay of many tasty Indian and Sri Lankan curries. This recipe, however, uses dried fenugreek leaves, which when added sparingly lend an addictive hint of bitterness to the dish.

I'm submitting this to the Mad Tea Party: Express Indian cooking event, featuring Indian dishes that are quick to make and have 6 ingredients or less. You can see the full recipe after the jump.

Potato Methi (Fenugreek) Curry [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Ruchii

3 medium red potatoes
1 medium onion
2 tbsp dried fenugreek (methi) leaves
1 tsp cumin (jeera) seed
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Cilantro leaves and about 1 tsp fresh lime juice, for garnish (optional)


Wash then dice potatoes into approximately 1" cubes. Boil until soft but not mushy. Set aside. Dice the onion and measure out the spices for tempering (cumin seed through turmeric).


Heat 1 tsp oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, turmeric, and red chili powder. Then add in the onion and fenugreek leaves and mix well. Cook until the onion begins to soften, stirring when needed.


Crumble the cooked and cooled potatoes into the pan and mix with the onion mixture, making sure not to mash the potatoes too much. Adjust salt to taste. Garnish with cilantro leaves and fresh lime juice, then serve with rice or bread.

4 comments:

  1. I just love the pics here.Good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Preeti! I just saw your post on making ghee and will have to mark it for later, as the kind at the store always looks sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming to the party, Xiaolu! Dried methi leaves make this dish possible when fresh is not in season; this is a oft-made dish for winter meals. Of course, the dried leaves have an additional smokiness...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, Anita, and it was my pleasure to participate. I've been wanting to try fresh/frozen methi leaves to try to recreate the wonderful theplas I've eaten before.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu