Monday, January 3, 2011

Beginning The New Year With A Pop(over)

Happy New Year, my dears! Eep...can somebody tell me how it got to be 2011 already? Equally important (or perhaps more?) I'm wondering how long it'll be before I remember to write the correct year on things. Like I was lining up a few drafts for upcoming posts yesterday, but damn it they kept disappearing! Ditz that I can be, it was 10 minutes before I realized they'd been shoved back in 2010. I guess I'm in for some "fun" times until I adjust... =).

That issue aside, it's funny how time moves by so fast these days as opposed to when I was younger. Now there's too often little chance to savor the sweet moments. Which is yet another reason I'm thankful to have this site and all of you. Not only can I share my passions and personal adventures here, but your responses and our interactions become wonderful new experiences in and of themselves that are all saved. I just spent an afternoon flipping through the posts of last year. My favorite 6 are listed below -- I hope you remember (or discover) them as happily as I did!

Starting the year with a pop!

Buuuut you didn't think I'd start off the New Year without a new dish now, did ya? One of my resolutions is to tackle my to-try recipes list, which has become quite a beast! It includes fancy treats like the infamous macaron, but I decided to start slow with these easy, versatile popovers. If you've never had one, popovers are light, hollow rolls with golden crusts and soft insides. Their buttery, eggy (in a good way) flavor pairs wonderfully with jam and cream, honey, or simply a smear of butter. They're also a versatile canvas for playing with other flavors; for example, I plan to try a savory herb and cheese variation mmm. The recipe is at the end of this post if you'd like to give it a go yourself :).

Finally, it's on to the list! Thank you all for making 2010 a year to remember here at 6 Bittersweets! I'd love to hear what you'd like to see more of in 2011, and I'm so excited to share even more yummy goodness with you through the New Year!

Favorite Posts of 2010

6. Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Miso-Tahini Glaze - Excited is an understatement of how I felt when I found the recipe for this favorite from the Teaism restaurant. The sauce is simply addictive!

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Miso-Tahini Glaze

5. Cookies N' Cream Owl Cupcakes - Super delicious, cute, and uses easy-to-find ingredients...these cupcakes were a resounding success. The post remains one of my most popular.

Oreo Cookies & Cream Owl Cupcakes

4. Spiked Spaghetti with Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce - My boyfriend's been scarfing this down and asking for more for so long that I can't believe I only just thought to share this. It doesn't taste like alcohol, but the vodka really adds something special to the sauce.

Spaghetti with Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce

3. Browned Butter Pizzookies with Pecans - It wasn't until I published this post that I realized so many of you had never heard of pizzookies. These babies are quick to whip up and are just full on nutty buttery gooey chocolate-y goodness. I dare you to go back to regular cookies after ;p.

Browned Butter Chocolate Pecan Pizzookie

2. Mangomisu Trifle Cake - Although this was a gorgeous Delicious magazine cover recipe, I didn't expect mine to turn out nearly as pretty or tasty as it did. With all that fruit and creamy mascarpone, this cake wasn't cheap but was worth.every.penny.

Mangomisu with Raspberry Sauce

1. S'mores Cupcakes - I almost didn't make these cuppin' cakes due to illness, but thank goodness I decided to soldier on because these are the best cupcakes I've made or eaten to date. And I welcome any excuse to wield my torch and unleash the inner pyro (mwahaha) 8D.

S'mores Cupcake

Popovers [Printable Recipe]
Barely adapted from Baking with Julia via Muffins Are Ugly Cupcakes
Makes about 11 popovers (but will vary between baking pans/cups)

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole or 2% milk, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, room temperature
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Grease your popover or muffin pan or standalone paper souffle cups.

In a large bowl, mix flour and salt together. In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Add egg mixture and melted butter into flour mixture. Mix everything together well by hand or using a blender, food processor, or stand mixer. If your batter is lumpy, pour it through a strainer to remove the lumps. The batter will be quite thin, similar to the consistency of crepe batter. Pour batter into greased popover or muffin pan or standalone baking cups so that each cup is half filled. If using standalone cups, set them on a cookie sheet for baking.

Bake for 25 minutes, without opening the oven door. By that time, the popovers should have popped and should be nicely browned. At this point, lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes to dry out the insides. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and enjoy with your meal!

44 comments:

  1. Xiaolu, I'm hypnotized by the beauty of your creation !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great round up of last year's reacipes Xiaolu! All them are my favorite (seriously)!
    Your post just made me ask myself that when am I gonna go hit that huge list of my "gotta try" recipes. Maybe sometime this year :-)
    Happy New Yr to you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year my dear! Oh those popovers are adorable! Although once I started popping them in my mouth, I probably just wouldn't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Om nomm, popovers. Also, I want to try those S'mores cupcakes more than anythingggggg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those popovers...oh my goodness do they look GOOD! I have never had one, but I'd love to start with one of yours:) I loved the owl cupcakes and the pizzookies the first time around, and I still do! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh love the new look!!!! I haven't been online lately, so I probably missed when you switched, but it's lovely.

    Also, popovers look amazing. I've always wanted to make them, but sadly I don't have a pan :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love popovers! They are so delicious and versatile.

    A great collection of recipes.

    happy New Year!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. a bit late, but happy new year! i'm going to attempt a dish from your blog this year :D

    and omg :O your popovers look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookies 'n cream owl cupcakes and the pizzookies are my personal favorites from your 2010 list!

    Now why did I think that popovers were more of a savory thing? I've been missing out on eating these with cream cheese and jam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oo, all of those recipes sound delightful. I hadnt seen the mango cake, but it looks and sounds amazing.
    And those popovers - yum!
    Hope you have an amazing 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your blog before but it was your pizzookies that I still fondly remember... or and also the beautiful mangomisu trifle cake... oh of course the pasta too... ah! Thanks for taking us down memory lane... I'm pretty sure the pop overs will be unforgettable too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. my favorite is also the owl cuppies...so cute! now you've got expectations to live up to for 2011....im expecting some great things from this blog! can't wait...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH the pop over.. oh my, oh my..is that with clotted cream too? I LOVE popovers.. have you had them with cream or custard inside? I like the hashi holder as well.... I really want to give the owls a try, would you mind me borrowing your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pizzcookies was the one that had me coming back repeatedly to gawk at ...the spoons! Haha ... I totally missed the mango trifle cake! It looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous post to start in 2011!! I wish I owned a popover pan so I could try these beauties. I immensely enjoyed reading your blog in 2010; yours is one of my favorites! Your photography is beyond beautiful. The oreo owl cupcakes were one of my favorite posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, everyone! I'm glad many of my favorites are yours as well :).

    I notice many of you commenting that you don't have a popover pan, and NEITHER DO I :). I just used standalone paper baking cups. You could also use souffle cups or even just a greased muffin pan. You won't get as much pop as with the traditional pan, but I hope this enables more of you to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wish you a very happy new year with joy and good food in the coming year!:-D
    That means we get to drool too!
    My favourites are the Oreo Owls and the Mangomiso Trifle Cake; am not a fan of oreos but these are too good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year to you! I missed some of these posts before, and I'm glad you added links. I'm especially taken with that Trifle Cake. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So hard for me to choose my favorite! Everything looks so beautiful and scrumptious :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That photo of the spaghetti dish floors me. I've never seen anyone make spaghetti look PRETTY!
    Can't wait to see what you bring to 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've definitely had an amazing year. Thank you for your outrageously delicious recipes! May you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! I would love to see a post about how you set up your photo shoots - and even see a glimpse of all of the 'props' that you use for them.

    I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never tried making popovers but I really really should. They look so delicious! Also, I tried out the vodka cream sauce recipe tonight and Boy ate his first serving by the stove so he could take another serving before sitting down. It was soooo yummy. Happy New Year, Xiaolu!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year Xiaolu! You definitely have a wonderful way of styling spaghetti! I wish I could make my spaghetti look like that :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Xiaolu, love the idea of pop over....so cute :-) And your favorites of 2010 are awesome...have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always loved the idea of breakfast popovers... I have yet to perfect a vegan version, though. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration, yours look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year, Xiaolu! It's great to have 'met' you through bloggin! Looking forward to new recipes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Here is to another year full of deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I absolutely love popovers! This looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love love LOVE all 6 posts! You are super talented lady! Bets wishes in 2011! And I think you and I are very close in proximity, i'm located in MD, right outside of DC.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I definitely remember some of those recipes..unforunately I wasn't following you at the beginning of 2010 so I missed some. Those owl cupcakes made me literally squeal...they are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! My sister would love them because she loves owls..I think I'll have to surprise her.

    Also, thanks for your suggestions about banana bread recipes. I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ack, i had almost forgotten those awesome owls! ya done good, xiaolu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your photography, so breathtaking :) love those popovers... amazing. Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  34. I do love a good popover. Can you believe I've never eaten a sweet version? Always savory. Even with a basic recipe, they always seem to work their way into a lunch or supper line-up, either eaten plain, stuffed with smoked meat and BBQ sauce, etc. I'll have to save some next time for breakfast or brunch, and try with cream and jam!

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete
  35. The popovers are real cute and I applaud your creativity to have them done just in the right time :-)As for the round up, I am craving the trifle cake now.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your popoers look delicious and gorgeous! In fact, everything looks so gorgeous, hard to pick a fav but the owl cupcakes are extra adorable hehe

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey hope you don't mind but I gave you an award on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much everyone!! You guys are just the sweetest XD.

    Alicia - It may be a little while, but I'll definitely try to post a photography set-up shot for you. Unfortunately, I only have one camera, so I wouldn't be able to show the camera in the shot, but my tripod should give a sense of the general position. And of course thanks so much for the award. You definitely deserved the one you got, and as I've said before, I'm so glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love popovers! I <3 the s'mores cupcakes the most!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow what an array of dishes.. absolutely mindblowing .. cannot say which is my fav .. everything but one the smores cupcake when I saw them in DMB entry I fell love with it..beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy New year. Those are some great looking posts! Off to check them out. The popovers look amazing, so glad to know you made these without needing a special pan!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love your pop over !! they're gorgious !!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Loooooooove popovers and yours look so cute! A savoury herb and cheese ones sounds like it would be amazing. I've never thought of eating them with jam or butter or cream. Growing up we always ate them with a roast beef dinner. (I don't eat roast beef anymore but am always excited when my mom makes that dinner because I know it means popovers!) We always called them Yorkshire puddings, though now my mom makes them with oil so really they're popovers. I love all 6 of your favourite dishes, especially the owl cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Please leave me a message if you have questions, advice, or just to let me know you stopped by. Your feedback is always very much appreciated. Thanks! <3 Xiaolu